• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
School closings due to weather events/forcasting

HI all,

I am curious on how many schools depend on a formal WX service (accuwx) forcast for closings. Also, do you feel schools close too often? This was started here:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39731-central-pa-second-half-of-march-2013/?p=2235695

We have had a couple of non events that closed schools, but also had events that the schools didn't close.

It's up to the individual school systems. But generally when we have an advisory out, they start calling wanting more specific info for their area. Sometimes the wx pans out, other times it doesn't. The best thing we can do is relay our level of confidence to each specific event and point out what can go right/wrong with the fcst. It's ultimately up to them to make an informed decision.

The pooch has been screwed with school closings at least back in my homestead.

When I came back to W-B Area in 2002 after a brief stint on the other side of the Susquehanna River, the closing method was pretty strict. It used to be a lot harder to get a snow day...but this changed I noticed as I got into high school.

That's when the closings began getting weak. We would have days off for like 1-2" of slush. Two-hour delays because it got cold. The ridiculousness of things grew in a hurry.

Then my freshman year at Penn State - I had many friends still in high school (juniors/seniors) - it got flat out absurd. WBASD schools were closing over even the tiniest events that not even PSU Hazleton would close for - and we were a mountainous, commuting campus for the most part! Every time even like a 1-3" event was forecasted or happened, they'd have a snow day.

And it really got bad this year - while I was home over Spring Break, the WBASD schools closed on the 8th of March. We had light snow that morning that maybe added up to 1/2" before sun and 40s melted it down that afternoon. 

As Rick G said, you've got people complaining from both sides, and I think WBA is trying to please them all. You can't please everybody, and the crappy policy is now resulting in bad decisions.

I wonder how much of this is over-worrying because of the parents, how much because the school districts can't expect the roads to be cleared as well due to reductions in state and local road clearing budgets, and how much could actually be liability insurance issues.

i know you might say liability insurance shouldn't be an issue, but let's face it. things like health insurance and malpractice insurance aren't cheap these days. why wouldn't municipal and school-district not face a higher risk of parents suing, causing the rates to go up? and in order to lower liabilities, you cut out higher-risk activities. one of which would be the liability of a bus wrecking due to a couple of inches of snow.

The reason I brought the issue up was in the upstate PA/New York Forum, it got pretty interesting. Dallastown (near York PA) did not close after parents complained (similar to PSU stated above). They had busing issues due to the 5+ inches they received today. My wife was not happy because they did have school today. (there was no need to close here). I know there isn't a magic bullet here to fix the issue.

Lets face it, we live in a litigious society. IF a kid is hurt or worse due to a school opening during an event like this, the school will be sued.

The reason I brought the issue up was in the upstate PA/New York Forum, it got pretty interesting. Dallastown (near York PA) did not close after parents complained (similar to PSU stated above). They had busing issues due to the 5+ inches they received today. My wife was not happy because they did have school today. (there was no need to close here). I know there isn't a magic bullet here to fix the issue.

Lets face it, we live in a litigious society. IF a kid is hurt or worse due to a school opening during an event like this, the school will be sued.

very true. but also the bigger picture idea, we sue now a lot more than we ever thought to in say the 60's, 70's, and even 80's. and those extra suits add up. do they necessarily add up to the higher premiums, probably not as all insurances are much higher than they need to be in order to pay for from a strict ratio standpoint all the overhead. and those much higher costs do add up.

Parents complaining about schools erring on the side of caution are most likely just angry because they had to rearrange their own work schedule.

Those same parents would be howling if their kids got stuck on a bus for a few hours.

This times a million.  I especially love it when parents in my county post on the school district's Facebook page with quotes such as "great...now I have to be a parent today."  

You know it is parents that cause kids and kids do create parents.

The bottom line is that people want it both ways. I want my kids to go to school every day, except when it I think it isn't safe.

I feel for the superintendents. PSU noted that the Wilkes-Barre Area SD closes to early and often. I would add that there are 4 other school districts  in the area who would do that same. IF one of the 5 school districts on the east side of the Wyoming valley close, then it is pretty much assured all 5 will close.

perhaps if the schools came out and set guidelines for when they would close:

1. if we feel it is going to be unsafe for the students to travel we will close.

2. We don't close lightly, we have to make up every day we close.

just a couple of thoughts.

Mods thanks for leaving this in the main forum. IT is weather related. and recently it has had lots of parents up in arms.

From my 17 years of experience working in the district office of two school systems, I can say closing school is never taken lightly but there are a lot of factors which come into play. The scenario which usually draws the most complaints is flipping from a 2 hour delay to a closure.

In Indiana we spent decades not changing time with daylight savings.  With the change back to recognizing daylight savings along with that the additional weeks added earlier and later to the DST calendar, we see more delays and closures due to fog. 

FYI, roads can be clear of snow but until corners are plowed out, an 88 passenger bus will have a hard time making a turn.  I know our school plow crews will go out across the rural areas of our district to clean up corners. 

This a bit afield from what you've been discussing but has anyone else noticed that schools often seem to close early during some Tornado Watches at exactly the wrong time?  In other words, they let the kids out just as violent cells are approaching when the threat would probably be over by normal school closing time?

Greg,

it has to do with he time to get the buses  and getting the word out. I asked my wife about that, she works for a local school. They can't announce that they are closing now and expect parents/ caregivers to be ready. I am surprised the schools will close for tornado watches. it seems like it is just bad timing.

Greg,

it has to do with he time to get the buses  and getting the word out. I asked my wife about that, she works for a local school. They can't announce that they are closing now and expect parents/ caregivers to be ready. I am surprised the schools will close for tornado watches. it seems like it is just bad timing.

I totally get that, Rick.  I guess you just have to cross your fingers and hope there is someone at the school who is weather-wise, and can say, "Stop the dismissal - squall line will be here in 10 minutes" or "Hey, let's push the dismissal back another 20 minutes since a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was just issued by the NWS."

The simple fact is that school closings are one of the most controversial things involved in school years in places prone to snowfall. It's still extremely difficult to forecast a winter weather event in the 21st century and all things considered in a forecast cannot be understood by the general public. People should have the general idea that it is the health and safety of their children that are at stake when considering a cancellation. That's really the bottom line.

Archived