joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper express v 2.0 (February 1-6)

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like an early call of 2-3" for LAF for the Saturday system. I think ratios will be better farther north with a better DGZ depth but they could still be decent here.

Looks like the GFS and NAM are around 0.15-0.20" for us. If we can squeeze out some decent ratios, your range looks solid.  

NAM looks like it has 4 clippers showing up in the next 84 hrs.   1 and 2 are pretty much unchanged, (maybe 1 is a bit stronger).   3 comes thru monday and is further north...pretty much an i-80 event.   the 4th is starting to dig into the northern plains, and it looks like it might have some room to dig and become the strongest of all, probably effecting our area late Tuesday, (if it digs enough it could raise heights out in front to cause temp issues as well).

From MKX

A DECENT ISENTROPIC/WARM AIR ADVECTION EVENT ARRIVES QUICKLY TONIGHTWITH CONDENSATION PRESSURE DEFICITS DROPPING VERY QUICKLY. NEARLYALL THE MODELS BRING QPF ACROSS THE ENTIRE CWA WITH THE MOST FOCUSEDACROSS THE SOUTHWEST TO SOUTH CENTRAL CWA. THIS EVENT IS SHOWING AMODERATE TO STRONG SIGNAL OF EXTREME SNOW RATIOS.  THE NAM/MEANSREF/GFS BUFKIT SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO SHOW A SATURATED DENDRITEGROWTH REGION /-12 TO -18C/ STRETCHING FROM THE SURFACE TO ROUGHLY650MB. THERE IS OMEGA WITH IT...BUT IT CERTAINLY ISN/TIMPRESSIVE...THAT/S A NEGATIVE. THE CARIBOU SNOW RATIO NUMBERS ARERUNNING IN THE 20-25 TO 1 RANGE...GENERATING 2 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOWACCUM. THE SPC SREF SNOW RATIO SHOWS A RANGE FROM 20 TO 1 IN THESOUTHWEST CORNER TO 35 TO 1 IN THE NORTHERN CWA. AND...WINDS WILL BEVERY LIGHT WHICH WILL KEEP THE DENDRITE CLUMPS TOGETHER...ALLOWINGFOR A VERY DRY...FLUFFY ACCUM.  GIVEN THE SIGNALS...HAVE BUMPED SNOWACCUMS TO 2-2.5 IN THE SOUTH/SOUTHWEST TO JUST UNDER AN INCH IN THENORTHEAST CWA.  TEMPS WILL BE RUNNING IN THE SINGLE DIGITS WITH THELOWS EXPECTED EARLY IN THE EVENING. THE WAA AND PRECIP SHOULDPROVIDE RISING TEMPS THROUGH THE NIGHT.

From MKX

A DECENT ISENTROPIC/WARM AIR ADVECTION EVENT ARRIVES QUICKLY TONIGHTWITH CONDENSATION PRESSURE DEFICITS DROPPING VERY QUICKLY. NEARLYALL THE MODELS BRING QPF ACROSS THE ENTIRE CWA WITH THE MOST FOCUSEDACROSS THE SOUTHWEST TO SOUTH CENTRAL CWA. THIS EVENT IS SHOWING AMODERATE TO STRONG SIGNAL OF EXTREME SNOW RATIOS.  THE NAM/MEANSREF/GFS BUFKIT SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO SHOW A SATURATED DENDRITEGROWTH REGION /-12 TO -18C/ STRETCHING FROM THE SURFACE TO ROUGHLY650MB. THERE IS OMEGA WITH IT...BUT IT CERTAINLY ISN/TIMPRESSIVE...THAT/S A NEGATIVE. THE CARIBOU SNOW RATIO NUMBERS ARERUNNING IN THE 20-25 TO 1 RANGE...GENERATING 2 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOWACCUM. THE SPC SREF SNOW RATIO SHOWS A RANGE FROM 20 TO 1 IN THESOUTHWEST CORNER TO 35 TO 1 IN THE NORTHERN CWA. AND...WINDS WILL BEVERY LIGHT WHICH WILL KEEP THE DENDRITE CLUMPS TOGETHER...ALLOWINGFOR A VERY DRY...FLUFFY ACCUM.  GIVEN THE SIGNALS...HAVE BUMPED SNOWACCUMS TO 2-2.5 IN THE SOUTH/SOUTHWEST TO JUST UNDER AN INCH IN THENORTHEAST CWA.  TEMPS WILL BE RUNNING IN THE SINGLE DIGITS WITH THELOWS EXPECTED EARLY IN THE EVENING. THE WAA AND PRECIP SHOULDPROVIDE RISING TEMPS THROUGH THE NIGHT.

I wish I could buy consistent 35:1 ratios for this event, but when does this actually happen when the snow is falling so light, I would think the rates would ideally have to be a bit heavier.

I wish I could buy consistent 35:1 ratios for this event, but when does this actually happen when the snow is falling so light, I would think the rates would ideally have to be a bit heavier.

The SREF has been pretty consistent at showing these impressive snow ratios so they seem plausible especially with temps in the single digits. The SREF shows 35:1 ratios all the way down to the WI/IL broader. Ratios lower to around 25:1 throughout the night as temperatures warm. So taking the 12z NAM and the 0.10" of qpf it shows for RAC, 2-3 inches seem reasonable.

34o1suh.gif

The SREF has been pretty consistent at showing these impressive snow ratios so they seem plausible especially with temps in the single digits. The SREF shows 35:1 ratios all the way down to the WI/IL broader. Ratios lower to around 25:1 throughout the night as temperatures warm. So taking the 12z NAM and the 0.10" of qpf it shows for RAC, 2-3 inches seem reasonable.

34o1suh.gif

I still think it's iffy if only due to the rates.  Also, the GFS Ensembles in general seem to indicate 0.05" at best with the first clipper this far north.  Even with great snow ratios, probably 1" or so.

I still think it's iffy if only due to the rates.  Also, the GFS Ensembles in general seem to indicate 0.05" at best with the first clipper this far north.  Even with great snow ratios, probably 1" or so.

Even with the light rates the fluffy nature of the snow will allow for easy accumulations.

Fwiw the 12z GFS  looks wetter, with a .10" qpf stripe along the southern counties.  With that said I'd go with 1.7" at MKE.

Even with the light rates the fluffy nature of the snow will allow for easy accumulations.

Fwiw the 12z GFS  looks wetter, with a .10" qpf stripe along the southern counties.  With that said I'd go with 1.7" at MKE.

I hope you're right, and if you were talking 1.7" for both clippers combined (overnight and then Saturday evening/night's clipper), I could buy that.  The overnight one looks stronger, but light QPF (<0.05 generally) looks to fall with the second impulse just 24 hours later.

I hope you're right, and if you were talking 1.7" for both clippers combined (overnight and then Saturday evening/night's clipper), I could buy that.  The overnight one looks stronger, but light QPF (<0.05 generally) looks to fall with the second impulse just 24 hours later.

The 1.7" was for tonight only. The second clipper with its light qpf and lower snow ratios makes an inch or less seem likely.

I would say 2.5" for both clippers combined at MKE.

Archived