joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/17-1/18 Southern Special OBS Thread

wdrag

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, we will look at this window from time to time. Basically it looks as though the pocket of cold air developing over Virginia will rapidly expand this evening and be the instrument to change the rain to snow.  The 12z EC was so out of joint with its forcing mechanisms I don't know where to begin. Well nowcast time anyway.

Thanks, we will look at this window from time to time. Basically it looks as though the pocket of cold air developing over Virginia will rapidly expand this evening and be the instrument to change the rain to snow.  The 12z EC was so out of joint with its forcing mechanisms I don't know where to begin. Well nowcast time anyway.

Would love to get just a little insight on the mechanisms that cause this pocket of cold air to expand, and how you are observing it, if possible. TY

Would love to get just a little insight on the mechanisms that cause this pocket of cold air to expand, and how you are observing it, if possible. TY

Combination of evaporative cooling and caa in the northwest part of our cwa, while where the warnings, advisories are in effect dynamic cooling. The llvl thickness progs in essence give the appearance of spreading.  Freezing levels are not dropping yet, not a good sign for places where measurable pcpn is expected.

Combination of evaporative cooling and caa in the northwest part of our cwa, while where the warnings, advisories are in effect dynamic cooling. The llvl thickness progs in essence give the appearance of spreading.  Freezing levels are not dropping yet, not a good sign for places where measurable pcpn is expected.

Thanks Tony. I thought that the CAA across SNJ would really act as the shut off valve for any moisture spread beyond the coast. Glad to hear my presumption was along the correct line of thinking.

None of that is reaching the ground anywhere, right?

If you look at KDIX you'll notice a few echoes appearing inside the virga donut hole.  Those few echoes are making it to the ground, it would appear, while all the precip above that is virga.  BTW I'm moving these to the storm obs thread.

post-39-0-41923600-1358467540_thumb.png

post-39-0-95833000-1358467548_thumb.png

Archived