joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm threat (Early Jan) 1/4 - 1/6

SACRUS

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS just got quite a bit closer with this one, bringing the precipitation as close as Virginia now, with the storm center going across the north Florida panhandle and then paralleling the coastal Carolinas about 100-150 miles off shore. Also a massive upper level low over the central U.S., if we can slow down the low pressure a bit and speed up the upper level low, we might be in business.

12z GFS puts us on the fringes of a Nor'easter next Sunday as another low pressure develops off the Carolina coast and moves north as that strong upper level low finally approaches the East Coast.

I was looking at that as well for 1/5 - 1/6 period. The pattern seems ripe perhaps between or on the backside of a retreating arctic high. Lets see how the ensembles and Euro trend. What is likely is the period prior to the 5th looks cold and dry with systems staying suppressed.

I think this storm is going to be further north and west - considering what has happened the last couple of weeks - todays storm we were worried missing to the east a few days ago and up until a day or so ago everyone was certain this would be an all snow event in the metro..............and now we have a changeover to drizzle ,...

that would be a real kick in the pants if this next one delivers big for areas to the south and we are left behind - 11/12 ish feb 19-20 2012 did the same thing..........

We'll see. Many GEFS members were NW and wetter than the Operational, bringing a light snow event to the region. This is also still a week or so away.

There isn't alot of blocking . What is making this storm staying well south?

The cold push of air to the north, but if that upper air energy to the west can merge with it we will be in business. It will be a timing issue I think. It needs that piece to merge with it though I believe, to get it to come up the coast.

What? Fill us in on your reasoning

post-334-0-48430600-1356822842_thumb.gif

Well, clearly you can see the moisture going up the east coast there from the Gulf of Mexico. The ensembles and the operational runs are all pointing at the possibility of two storms near the east coast, one on Thursday night into Friday, and one on Sunday or Monday. Of course, you don't have to just take my word for it, Chad Meyers was saying the same thing on CNN yesterday, but models and ensembles clearly indicate that some members are showing this possibility.

Well, clearly you can see the moisture going up the east coast there from the Gulf of Mexico. The ensembles and the operational runs are all pointing at the possibility of two storms near the east coast, one on Thursday night into Friday, and one on Sunday or Monday. Of course, you don't have to just take my word for it, Chad Meyers was saying the same thing on CNN yesterday, but models and ensembles clearly indicate that some members are showing this possibility.

There's a high pressure over the Mid Atlantic on that map dude.

N/W trend will win out as always. Usually when DT says no snow north of DC for a storm a week+ in advance, it ends up raining in DT land. This one is worth watching

Good point. DT is a probability forecaster up here though. Looks like there is a favorable shift in the teleconnectors in this time frame, so you might be on to something.

Could be a big storm.

Archived