• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 28-30 Winter Weather Observations/Discussion

WilkesboroDude

GFS is warmer than NAM for Saturday night event. By Sunday good upslope, has -10 850's in eastern TN bumped up against the Smokies and Blue ridge. Minor event/novelity at best, be the second rain IMBY in a week with temps in the 30's the entire event. Hopefully the mid week system next week can produce.

I thought this was coming in friday night/ saturday morning? What did temps look like here?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I am liking this also for the mountains. Maybe we see a little bit of everything. One thing is if the precip comes in at just the right time and there is enough cooling thing things in the mountains will go down hill in a hurry.

I liked the discussion out of Greenville. Not sure how long you would be in the "sleet happy zone" because 3,500ft is 1,000ft over their estimated snow line.

I liked the discussion out of Greenville. Not sure how long you would be in the "sleet happy zone" because 3,500ft is 1,000ft over their estimated snow line.

Ya I no. These systems coming from the south are always tricky. Fun but tricky. This could be one of those storms were we have some freezing rain then sleet then snow which would cause a major problem on the roads.

2-4 inches of snow expected in the northern mountains of NC.

• Overnight

Partly cloudy, with a low around 24. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

• Friday

Partly sunny, with a high near 43. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the morning.

• Friday Night

A chance of rain and snow before midnight, then snow. Low around 30. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

• Saturday

Rain showers and snow, becoming all rain after 11am. High near 38. Breezy, with a west wind 6 to 11 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

• Saturday Night

A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Blustery, with a northwest wind 16 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

• Sunday

A chance of snow showers, mainly before 8am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 30. Blustery. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I thought this was coming in friday night/ saturday morning? What did temps look like here?

Meant Fri night/Sat.am.. Been off work all week so that will be my excuse for not paying attn to timeframes. I would trust the NAM thermal profile over the GFS inside 48 hours, espeacilly when taking any kind of elevation into consideration. It's higher resolution IMO has performed pretty well for our region (wnc) handling BL and surface temp issues compared to the global once inside 36-48 hrs. This isn't always the case and tomorrow we can look at other short range models and seek some consensus with the nam to make sure it's not on it's own. The GFS if I remember correctly had 2m temps about 36-37 down my way and 33-34 in northern foothills. So like others have said your gonna need moderate+ returns to get the white stuff down to the surface. surface winds stay out of north the entire time, but their just pulling stagnant air from mid atlantic down into our region.

I think the mtns of wnc will be happy with this event. 6z nam looks to me like snow/sleet for pretty much all the 3k+ ft elevation areas. 6z nam shows a nice pocket of sub zero 850s lined up right along the mtns. And like others have alluded to, I also like nam thermal profile forecasting ability within 24-30 hrs of event.

Heck if the 6z nam does verify I think someone in far ne ga could get some winter precip.

AVERY-YANCEY-MITCHELL-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-BURKE MOUNTAINS-

MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE

349 AM EST FRI DEC 28 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO

NOON EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH

IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EST SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS.

* HAZARDS...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF SLEET AND SNOW...FOLLOWED BY

LIGHT ICE ACCRETION ALONG AND NEAR THE BLUE RIDGE.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION WILL DEVELOP THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE

THROUGH THE NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF UP TO 1 INCH...

ALONG WITH UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE. ICE ACCUMULATION

WILL MAINLY BE CONFINED TO AREAS ALONG AND NEAR THE BLUE RIDGE.

LOCATIONS ALONG THE TENNESSEE BORDER ARE EXPECTED TO SEE LITTLE OR

NO ICE.

* IMPACTS...UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET COULD CAUSE TRAVEL

PROBLEMS ACROSS THE ENTIRE ADVISORY AREA BEGINNING LATE THIS

EVENING. ADDITIONAL ICE ACCRETION ON TOP OF THE SLEET AND SNOW

MAY CREATE VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE

LATE TONIGHT AND SATURDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S.

Well had snow in the forecast for a few hours! Now the morning package taketh it away... lol

.TONIGHT...RAIN...MAINLY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S.

LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY...CLOUDY WITH RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN LIKELY IN THE

MORNING...THEN PARTLY SUNNY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE

AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND

10 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH IN THE

AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

And another! I will say there is a warm nose around 800mb. Each run the warm nose has gotten smaller and smaller. The 12z and 18z soundings for Franklin have kept the column sub freezing from 825 to just above the surface for the entire event. Hopefully this trend continues and we can stay snow and sleet happy back this way!18znam850mbTSLPp06018.gif

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA

317 PM EST FRI DEC 28 2012

NCZ003-019-VAZ032>035-045>047-292030-

SURRY-WILKES-PATRICK-FRANKLIN-BEDFORD-AMHERST-CAMPBELL-APPOMATTOX-

BUCKINGHAM-

317 PM EST FRI DEC 28 2012

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH CENTRAL NORTH

CAROLINA...NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA...CENTRAL VIRGINIA...SOUTH

CENTRAL VIRGINIA...SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND WEST CENTRAL VIRGINIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

A MIXTURE OF SNOW...SLEET...AND POSSIBLY SOME SPOTTY FREEZING RAIN

MAY ACCUMULATE TO ONE OR TWO INCHES BY DAYBREAK SATURDAY.

Archived