December 20th-22nd Major Winter Storm Part II

andyhb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ILZ003>005-008-010-011-181815-

/O.NEW.KLOT.WS.A.0005.121220T1200Z-121221T0600Z/

WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...

OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB

403 AM CST TUE DEC 18 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY

EVENING.

* TIMING...SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN FALLING THURSDAY MORNING...

MOSTLY LIKELY AFTER SUNRISE...AND CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY

EVENING.

* IMPACTS...PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW MAY PRODUCE SNOWFALL TOTALS OF

LOCALLY 6 INCHES OR MORE. VERY WINDY CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP

LATE THURSDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING

WITH NORTHWEST WINDS GUSTING AS HIGH AS 45 MPH...WHICH WILL

PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND POSSIBLY NEAR

WHITE OUT CONDITIONS.

Isn't DVN always dealing with the mixing issues? ;)

I have to say though, seeing the 00z Euro ensembles continue to be on the southern envelope of guidance looks good for you. Even the 00z GFS is ripping 50 kt winds down to just several hundred feet off the deck. More than close enough to mix down during that def band wrap around.

Always seem to be riding that line on these types of systems, yes. I personally like the way things look around here for at least 5-6" and any dynamic cooling as this thing deepens could keep the column aloft a bit cooler than progged too. That alone could add another few inches into the totals around here. Again much more confidence in high impact amounts out by Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, on up into Central Wisconsin though.

I'm glad my call in the other thread about being almost sure of a high impact snowstorm/blizzard before New Years is going to come through.

I just saw some of the WSW's got expanded SE'ward a bit too.

Always seem to be riding that line on these types of systems, yes. I personally like the way things look around here for at least 5-6" and any dynamic cooling as this thing deepens could keep the column aloft a bit cooler than progged too. That alone could add another few inches into the totals around here. Again much more confidence in high impact amounts out by Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, on up into Central Wisconsin though.

I'm glad my call in the other thread about being almost sure of a high impact snowstorm/blizzard before New Years is going to come through.

I just saw some of the WSW's got expanded SE'ward a bit too.

Doesn't surprise me that they were expanded SE. I mean given the model support there is at least 50% confidence that areas SE of the QCA see 6".

Saints-

Turd here? GFS is not very impressive ...amts cut off sharply in N LaCrosse CO

Ya not looking good. Though we have done well in the past being on the NW edge of these storms this far out. NAM not looking great this morning either though the EURO did give la crosse about .6 qpf last night.

Talk about riding the edge check out the NAM DLL.

Looks like more QPF through HR 36. Also looks colder.

Vort is more compact as it ejects...doesn't jack up heights quite as much into IL/WI/MI...temps in the cold sector look about the same. Should be a good run for everyone who was already looking good. Surprisingly wet so far...probably a few inches for Chicago.

Archived