• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NWS Proposes Changes to WWA System

The term "advisory" is the real problem with the winter weather warning system. Hell, I just watched a TWC clip where they talked about "blizzard advisories"!

Maybe if we just changed "winter weather advisory" to "minor winter storm warming", "winter storm warning" to "major winter storm warning", and "winter storm watch" to "major winter storm watch"... Its an extra word, but it gets the message across without the confusing word "advisory".

I'm kinda surprised to see the number of people claiming that the public doesn't know what a watch and warning is. Is there actually data showing this? I don't think I've ever ran across someone who doesn't know the difference.

I must assume that you are around a lot of fairly weather-savvy folks. The majority of common people I know would have no clue the difference between a watch and a warning. I get asked all the time what that actually means.

The term "advisory" is the real problem with the winter weather warning system. Hell, I just watched a TWC clip where they talked about "blizzard advisories"!

Maybe if we just changed "winter weather advisory" to "minor winter storm warming", "winter storm warning" to "major winter storm warning", and "winter storm watch" to "major winter storm watch"... Its an extra word, but it gets the message across without the confusing word "advisory".

Well then you have to start massaging the criteria. I think 6" around here is winter storm criteria. Calling that a major winter storm would lose credibility with the public. But then if you say <8" is a minor winter storm, you could have a 2" event that's "warned"... which I think would also hurt credibility.

Until I see some kind of public outcry about how people can't possibly understand these products, I think this is mostly just inside-the-weenie-beltway over-concern. But I admit that I'm well-known to be wrong on most things.

I don't even think the advisory term is causing much confusion because it's practically impossible to ever be informed of the advisory in effect without also hearing the details of what to expect. "A winter weather advisory is in effect for 2-4" of snow."

Now Japan on the other hand... they have like 70 thousand products just for heavy rain and flooding. That might be a bit over the top. :arrowhead:

I must assume that you are around a lot of fairly weather-savvy folks. The majority of common people I know would have no clue the difference between a watch and a warning. I get asked all the time what that actually means.

I personally don't know anybody who knows anything about weather (other than what they see on TV), but the people I do know seem to be astute enough to deduce the meanings of the words "watch" and "warning".

Not to be too biting, but some of this talking-down is really getting grating. I know the country is overflowing with morons, but we're not getting far from what isohume is referring to. Is the NWS a professional, science-based organization...? Or is it going to partner with Sesame Street so we can watch Big Bird and Elmo give the forecasts?

Agreed. Most people don't really care either. They want to know whether they'll be able to get to work or how much snow they'll have to shovel. Beyond that they're not really interested in whether there's a watch, warning, advisory or whatever.

To be honest I'd have to look up the exact criteria for each winter advisory/watch/warning.

Well then you have to start massaging the criteria. I think 6" around here is winter storm criteria. Calling that a major winter storm would lose credibility with the public. But then if you say <8" is a minor winter storm, you could have a 2" event that's "warned"... which I think would also hurt credibility.

Actually its 4" in Burlco. If you look at the actual rarity of a 4" event there (its usually once a winter on average, despite what's happened the last few years), then you wouldn't have many. But, maybe in this system you could increase criteria in a number of places more easily than you can at present. I don't think 6" in Burlco is minor by any means. Meanwhile, I don't think its a big deal to have a 2" "minor winter storm". That's what it is: a minor winter storm.

I personally don't know anybody who knows anything about weather (other than what they see on TV), but the people I do know seem to be astute enough to deduce the meanings of the words "watch" and "warning".

Not to be too biting, but some of this talking-down is really getting grating. I know the country is overflowing with morons, but we're not getting far from what isohume is referring to. Is the NWS a professional, science-based organization...? Or is it going to partner with Sesame Street so we can watch Big Bird and Elmo give the forecasts?

I agree with your premise. It's sad that some people just can't get it. It is really a very simple concept. Maybe I'm just biased though, being in the weather biz.

Actually we're an organization dedicated to the protection of life and property. Simple as that. If something gets the job done better, then we should embrace it.

Agreed. Most people don't really care either. They want to know whether they'll be able to get to work or how much snow they'll have to shovel. Beyond that they're not really interested in whether there's a watch, warning, advisory or whatever.

To be honest I'd have to look up the exact criteria for each winter advisory/watch/warning.

Do you have some data/sources that discusses/shows this?

Watch means there is the potential; warning means it is imminent or it is occurring. Not sure how more simple we can get.

It doesn't get any simpler, but the general public (Joe Accountant and Jane Soccer Mom) are too stupid to understand even that. I see it all the time when a friend of mine posts on Facebook what the models are showing for a certain timeframe. Even though he puts "THIS IS NOT A FORECAST" all over the place, many folks will ask, How much? When will it start? Can they go and do ______before it snows?, etc and so forth.

I just don't see how changing the wording is going to help, or change the mindset, of the general public.

It doesn't get any simpler, but the general public (Joe Accountant and Jane Soccer Mom) are too stupid to understand even that. I see it all the time when a friend of mine posts on Facebook what the models are showing for a certain timeframe. Even though he puts "THIS IS NOT A FORECAST" all over the place, many folks will ask, How much? When will it start? Can they go and do ______before it snows?, etc and so forth.

I just don't see how changing the wording is going to help, or change the mindset, of the general public.

I've noticed some weenies on here that don't understand the difference too. Claiming and being indignant that a watch busted! Apparently, it really is a hard concept for some to grasp. lolz

Archived