Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SW/Central/SE VA Winter 2012-13 Thread

MidlothianWX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol well there is a ring around the moon right now which usually means snow soon after. Also, Jupiter is right next to the moon which is called a conjunction. That really means nothing for snow though lol

Take a look at the latest nam 84 hrs. Moon ring must have been ingested.

You know JMU, I was thinking the exact same thing. Folks an hour north and west of here have seen snow falling on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, that is incredible. Yet we haven't seen a single, solitary flake. But is there whining in this thread? Nope. Just the tacit acceptance of the fact this is how things go around here, what can you do?

You know JMU, I was thinking the exact same thing. Folks an hour north and west of here have seen snow falling on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, that is incredible. Yet we haven't seen a single, solitary flake. But is there whining in this thread? Nope. Just the tacit acceptance of the fact this is how things go around here, what can you do?

Nailed it. If you are a snow lover within 30 miles of RIC, you simply accept that we are always the dividing line and usually get shafted.

Those yokels should never complain again after the winter they had in 2009-2010.

loving the 34 degree rain in Manakin Sabot.....

I had forgotten what babies the NoVa/DC/MD crowd are....whining when they see snow. We would all have killed for a few flakes.

Having lived in both areas, I think it's all about context. I know that when I was a kid growing up in Frederick, MD everyone would talk about how storms always missed us to the N and W. I feel the same way here. They have a set of standards and so do we. Us RIC folks probably look like a**holes to the SE crowd, especially those around RDU, on occasion.

No, it wasn't a big deal up this way. When I woke up it was merely raining but the mulch was rimmed in white sleet pellets. I headed off to work at 8:30. When I arrived at work in Charlottesville it was sleeting to beat the band however. Giant ice balls almost knocked me out. Everything mulch was white and cars were covered with a good dusting of sleet, and the folks coming in from further west had an inch or two of snow on their cars. Basically had freezing rain all day on the trees, so there was glistening, but that's it. I got back home about 30 minutes ago and no evidence of any ice or snow. Just 1.3" if rain at the homestead. So far there's been some snow on Xmas eve and ip/zr today. Let's see what Saturday brings. Hoping to at least get some deck coverage. Baby steps this year.

Having lived in both areas, I think it's all about context. I know that when I was a kid growing up in Frederick, MD everyone would talk about how storms always missed us to the N and W. I feel the same way here. They have a set of standards and so do we. Us RIC folks probably look like a**holes to the SE crowd, especially those around RDU, on occasion.

I would agree with this. Especially in 2009-10, we "stole" their January 30th storm as it was initially set to hit them and trended north over time. I think RDU only got 9" that winter. Really their only decent winter in recent times was 2003-04 and 1999-00 when they were in excess of 10" and 20" respectively. I would rather live in ORF than RDU.

I saw him tonight and it threw me as well. I switched to 8 because Ross Runner was on 12 and he always seems so pleased when there is no chance for snow.

Followed Mike's blog for a while as he still posted his winter outlook and his opinions on storms.

I hate the warmistas. They seem to be everywhere these days.

Archived