Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SW/Central/SE VA Winter 2012-13 Thread

MidlothianWX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank goodness tonight's radar is just rain. Accuweather boys on the ride home talking about decent rain and thunder tonight around Cville. Don't think we'll see a drop. The dry trend for Nov/Dec around here has me VERY worried. I'm not a big soil moisture guy, but it certainly doesn't help at all. The trend...sucks.

Thank goodness tonight's radar is just rain. Accuweather boys on the ride home talking about decent rain and thunder tonight around Cville. Don't think we'll see a drop. The dry trend for Nov/Dec around here has me VERY worried. I'm not a big soil moisture guy, but it certainly doesn't help at all. The trend...sucks.

"Soil moisture will have a great impact on this one"

"Soil temps will mitigate the effects of this storm"

"Road temps will cause us to lose many inches on the front end"

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me? John got blitzed 2 years ago w/ like a foot and a half. Last year sucked, but, honestly, if expectations in Richmond are low, expectations in Tidewater have to be non-existent.

ORF, RDU and the DCA metro airports have all seen foot+ storms in the past few decades. The RIC streak continues...1983-present (unless I am forgetting a storm in the late 80's).

Are you kidding me? John got blitzed 2 years ago w/ like a foot and a half. Last year sucked, but, honestly, if expectations in Richmond are low, expectations in Tidewater have to be non-existent.

I'm in the Tidewater. I'm actually quite optimistic, thank you. And yes, I know he did. I did as well. The boxing day blizzard dumped 15 inches of snow in Southampton County...closer to 20 inches as you got down toward the NC state line.

Yeah, 14 inches of snow on 12/26/2010. That's the last event over an inch. There's just not THAT cold air in Canada right now. Considering our elevation, location to water and located in southern VA. It takes some significant cold air to be in place for snow, we just don't get that really cold air anymore.

Yeah, 14 inches of snow on 12/26/2010. That's the last event over an inch. There's just not THAT cold air in Canada right now. Considering our elevation, location to water and located in southern VA. It takes some significant cold air to be in place for snow, we just don't get that really cold air anymore.

I said that during the dull winters of 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, and 2008-2009. Then 09-10 hit.

And while this is true to an extent, it's not always the case. There have been several occasions where I've seen it snow between 35 and 38 degrees. One time even, it snowed heavily at 38 degrees and piled up rather quickly.

I'm feeling confident about the 1st-10th time frame. Granted, I'm a wee further inland than you, I suspect. If you're directly on the water...then that could be the differences of your average snowfall being only around 7 inches, whereas it's closer to a foot here.

How much did RIC get in that Jan 2000 event?

Worst. Storm. Ever. I had 6" of snow at my house and I had to go to school that day. Why? I lived in Augusta county but attended city schools (for various reasons). Quite literally, the hill behind my house was the demarcation point of snow/no snow. My side of the hill, 6". 1000 yards away on the other side of the hill? 0.6". I kid you not.

I said that during the dull winters of 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, and 2008-2009. Then 09-10 hit.

And while this is true to an extent, it's not always the case. There have been several occasions where I've seen it snow between 35 and 38 degrees. One time even, it snowed heavily at 38 degrees and piled up rather quickly.

I'm feeling confident about the 1st-10th time frame. Granted, I'm a wee further inland than you, I suspect. If you're directly on the water...then that could be the differences of your average snowfall being only around 7 inches, whereas it's closer to a foot here.

We'll see.

Archived