• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Put Super Storm Sandy pics vids in here

Ginx snewx

Posted elsewhere....then I found this thread. Sorry.

Using the RIDOT photos and my photos from a flight in 2005, I put together a couple of Before/After shots from the Matunuck, RI area. Edit: I should note, not all of this erosion happened with Sandy...for instance, in the first before shot, the road in front of the first row of house was removed (due to other Nor'easters) a couple of years ago. But the lawns in front remained and Sandy took care of those.

HtrIsl.jpg

1ruMSl.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scene at the far western end of Atlantic Avenue was shocking. The road is covered in 3½ feet of rocks and sand. Seemingly sturdy oceanside houses are ripped open. Some appeared empty of most of their furnishings. Sand and large rocks filled the first level bedroom of one house. The floor of another house was washed away, exposing the living room couch, wall hangings, and a photo frame reading, “Grandpa.” A 12-inch-thick, 25-foot-long concrete slab appeared to have been tossed into the back of one house. Carved into the concrete are the names, “Priscilla, Natasha, Victoria, and Cecilia.” The front door of one house was blocked with so much sand and so many rocks that only about three feet of the top of the door is in view.

Steve, Bob, Herb and others this is some amazing stuff.

My wife and I (more her than me) go to Misq. beach at least once a week in the summer time. Seeing the images of familiar places that were devasted like this is really sad to see, including the neighborhood on Atlantic Ave where we rented a house for a week.

Steve,

This is my first chance to look at any images from the storm since it happened, as I've been away from power all of this time. Excuse me if this has already been asked, but do you know if the state beach house/ shower structure was destroyed at Misq. beach? In one of the photos on the WPRO site that pick posted, it looks like most of it was taken out, but I am not sure.

Steve,

This is my first chance to look at any images from the storm since it happened, as I've been away from power all of this time. Excuse me if this has already been asked, but do you know if the state beach house/ shower structure was destroyed at Misq. beach? In one of the photos on the WPRO site that pick posted, it looks like most of it was taken out, but I am not sure.

look at the link for the ridot.com site, it is amazing, looks like the state beach pavilion is intact but any stairs or area around it is trashed.

I found a picture taken from the Watch Hill Lighthouse which looks from the area of the lighthouse towards the house high on the hill The Harkness house. The Watch Hill Lighthouse keeper stayed and ended up being rescued on Tues, his harrowing account included reports of 40 foot rogue waves and the spray from these waves going over the TOP of the Harkness house. A very reliable observer with 35 years of sea experience. I would have loved to have seen that. This picture shows the Lighthouse grounds which used to be surrounded by a ten foot high Security fence, no where in sight.

I was able to get access today to Watch Hill and Misquamicut. I also went to Weekapaug. The damage in Misquamicut is unreal. Weekapaug was fine and as a matter of fact the East Beach area looks great. After surveying the surge, and the less impacts on the eastern area of the Westerly coast, I am beginning to think a massive rogue wave or series of waves rather than just normal surge caused the worst damage.

The entrance to the Lighthouse

IMG_20121105_093714_zpsbe427572.jpg

JT standing in the cut made. The top is about 40 ft above the normal ocean height

IMG_20121105_095616_zps89a39b6b.jpg

Here's the story we did on Misquamicut...

http://www.nbcconnec...Sandy/177352831

Incredible destruction there and this is only a small snippet of what we saw.

Nice story. I have every confidence that Misquamicut will rebuild better than ever. Here's a shot of Sam's from a couple years ago FWIW... it's a random thing to take a picture of, but I'm a sentimental person and I like to document things I like so I can look back if and when they're gone. This and some of my thousands of other pics from Misquamicut cannow attest to that

ic4qza.jpg

Nice story. I have every confidence that Misquamicut will rebuild better than ever. Here's a shot of Sam's from a couple years ago FWIW... it's a random thing to take a picture of, but I'm a sentimental person and I like to document things I like so I can look back if and when they're gone. This and some of my thousands of other pics from Misquamicut cannow attest to that

ic4qza.jpg

Nice Julian, Clam Fritters and Cabinets!

Nice job Ryan. I wonder if they will build up a wall with jetty rocks and cover it with sand and plant sea oats and grasses?

No! Please no, it needs to remain a barrier beach on an open ocean. Man needs to move their buildings not the other way around. You can already see the sand rebuilding on East Beach in Watch Hill, nature will repair .

No! Please no, it needs to remain a barrier beach on an open ocean. Man needs to move their buildings not the other way around. You can already see the sand rebuilding on East Beach in Watch Hill, nature will repair .

I agree but we have a long fall and winter ahead of us, what are they doing with the sand that was washed in with the surge, building berms or just spreading it back along the beachfront, if those are largely gone like it looks they have to provide some protection? In a perfect world the just put up a temporary berm then have two three or four rows of dunes and plant the sea oats and grasses in the spring.

Archived