• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
7.7-magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of British Columbia.

My location is in "greater" Vancouver, felt nothing here and I am learning of this now from your thread. We have had local TV stations on here since earthquake time but no mention on screen. Have now switched to Weather Network.

Tsunami alert sirens exist in at least one prone location, Port Alberni on west-central Vancouver Island. That place was hit by a fairly large surge after the March 1964 Alaska quake. Would guess they are already seeing whatever effects there may be from this one, as 2h 30 min have now passed.

Just FYI, tsunami potential for Victoria and Vancouver regions very minimal. This would be a problem mainly in a few coastal inlets some of which have no populations, some with towns.

Will update what I hear on local news here after 11 pm (2 am EDT).

My location is in "greater" Vancouver, felt nothing here and I am learning of this now from your thread. We have had local TV stations on here since earthquake time but no mention on screen. Have now switched to Weather Network.

Tsunami alert sirens exist in at least one prone location, Port Alberni on west-central Vancouver Island. That place was hit by a fairly large surge after the March 1964 Alaska quake. Would guess they are already seeing whatever effects there may be from this one, as 2h 30 min have now passed.

Just FYI, tsunami potential for Victoria and Vancouver regions very minimal. This would be a problem mainly in a few coastal inlets some of which have no populations, some with towns.

Will update what I hear on local news here after 11 pm (2 am EDT).

CBC and Twitter reporting a number of towns with sirens sounding. Some documentary many years ago covered the installation of rural sirens without grants etc. It's more than Port Alberni.

This is a transform (strike-slip) fault, so the danger there actually is a significant tsunami is lower than if it was on a subduction fault - you can still have thrusting motions on a strike slip fault so a tsunami is possible, but probably not that large.

It would appear first on this DART buoy: http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=46410

^This

Shaking reported down to Seattle's north side.

usb000df7n_ciim_zoomout.jpg

Have now heard multiple citizen reports from region, sounds very moderate in scale, even saw a home video, which I think was taken very close to the quake, swaying of hanging lamps but not violent shaking. No reported injuries or actual tsunamis of any impact but one or two remote communities on the islands might have seen something we will hear about later.

FYI, the Queen Charlotte Islands are now called "Haida Gwaii" in this province so you may see reports making reference to that, however, there is still a town called Queen Charlotte City.

I am now hearing the epicentre was under the southern half of the islands (mainly H.G. is two large islands) Moresby Island which is a wilderness area and national park. The population in general is sparse but tends to be around the coast and more on the northern island which is Graham Island. Would guess without looking it up that 5,000 people live on these islands, many of them native (Haida) this is where totem poles were very prominent in culture. Prince rupert on the mainland is a city and port of some magnitude like about 25,000 people. There are a few towns of 2-3 thousand on inlets down the coast, no coastal roads, just ferries and seaplane access. Of course this is a very mountainous coastline and towns tend to be located on elevated plains created by outwash deltas of glacial streams, so not that close to sea level, usually separated by a 20-30 metre bluff.

Will repeat, no news reports of any significant damage or tsunamis. Aftershocks are reported (5.5 largest). Quake has been felt in the usual hit or miss pattern east to about the Alberta border but probably only by a tiny fraction of our population.

News report -- one large cinema (movie theater) complex in this greater Vancouver region (Coquitlam) -- evacuated when patrons noticed swaying and felt nausea, but it took them a while to separate this out from other potential sources such as the movie, date companion, food and drink.

Reports that 7' tsunami warned for Hawaii and reason there not here is that tsunami may have been directed outward from Moresby Island more than in towards coast. My guess is that it would reach Hawaii in a few hours and that sounds rather moderate especially on that side of the big island. Another expert states that while no damage or injury reports so far, there could be a few from very isolated locations closer to quake, but as I mentioned almost all of Moresby Island is uninhabited. At this time of year there would be very few hikers or campers or paddlers around. Probably none camping overnight.

Tiny wave: Even when it rises up it will only be minor.

BULLETIN

TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 4

NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI

812 PM HST SAT OCT 27 2012

TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAII

SUBJECT - TSUNAMI WARNING SUPPLEMENT

A TSUNAMI WARNING CONTINUES IN EFFECT FOR THE STATE OF HAWAII.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0504 PM HST 27 OCT 2012

COORDINATES - 52.8 NORTH 131.8 WEST

LOCATION - QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS REGION

MAGNITUDE - 7.7 MOMENT

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

GAUGE LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL PER

------------------- ----- ------ ----- --------------- -----

WINTER HARBOUR BC 50.5N 128.0W 0413Z 0.23M / 0.8FT 30MIN

DART 46404 45.9N 128.8W 0417Z 0.05M / 0.2FT 20MIN

LANGARA POINT BC 54.2N 133.1W 0424Z 0.20M / 0.7FT 26MIN

DART 46419 48.8N 129.6W 0346Z 0.06M / 0.2FT 12MIN