joxey
Sandy/Posttrop Phase Thread For PHL Area

phlwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-105-0-67275700-1350893133_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-51662400-1350893136_thumb.jpg

Pretty big difference at 500 between the two models. Sharper trough on the Euro, flatter on the GFS. Classic block scenario on the Euro with a 576 dm ridge over Newfoundland.

The telling feature is that there's a big storm modeled in the Atlantic for next weekend near 40/40 or 35/40, depending on the model. The Euro is the more southern (and western) of the two with moving this feature southeast from Newfoundland. It looks like this, in concert with a ridge developing to its north, prevents an "out" for the tropical system, blocking it from moving northeast away from Cuba, thus allowing a deepening trough to capture it. The ridge is stronger on the Euro than on the GFS, probably due to the trough in the US being a bit deeper.

post-105-0-67275700-1350893133_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-51662400-1350893136_thumb.jpg

Pretty big difference at 500 between the two models. Sharper trough on the Euro, flatter on the GFS. Classic block scenario on the Euro with a 576 dm ridge over Newfoundland.

The telling feature is that there's a big storm modeled in the Atlantic for next weekend near 40/40 or 35/40, depending on the model. The Euro is the more southern (and western) of the two with moving this feature southeast from Newfoundland. It looks like this, in concert with a ridge developing to its north, prevents an "out" for the tropical system, blocking it from moving northeast away from Cuba, thus allowing a deepening trough to capture it. The ridge is stronger on the Euro than on the GFS, probably due to the trough in the US being a bit deeper.

im not sure you are allowed to post images off of sv unless they gave you permission or what not. I know they have been told to stop in other forums.

Meh...... Favoring a more eastern solution... Euro on its own and west of its ensembles big time.. A lot of pieces to this puzzle.

The euro and Canadian are focusing on the TRopical disturbance fully phasing the trough. The GFS on the other hand is going Away from that, and taking an ordinary wave along the front and devolving it separate. Run of the mill rain storm.....

At this point, I just don't know. Odds say side with the GFS at this point.

Meh...... Favoring a more eastern solution... Euro on its own and west of its ensembles big time.. A lot of pieces to this puzzle.

The euro and Canadian are focusing on the TRopical disturbance fully phasing the trough. The GFS on the other hand is going Away from that, and taking an ordinary wave along the front and devolving it separate. Run of the mill rain storm.....

At this point, I just don't know. Odds say side with the GFS at this point.

It's on the western edge of the envelope, but there are some ens members more phased and more west than the op. Given the teleconnections, I think the best forecast would take it up to the Maritimes next Tuesday, but there is a not insignificant chance that it heads up the Eastern Seaboard.

It's on the western edge of the envelope, but there are some ens members more phased and more west than the op. Given the teleconnections, I think the best forecast would take it up to the Maritimes next Tuesday, but there is a not insignificant chance that it heads up the Eastern Seaboard.

With a couple of systems this autumn, the Euro has had its southwest (or holding back) bias with systems over the Conus. Some of its solutions were a full 24 hours late with rain arriving late last week. I have to admit I haven't looked if its Canadian Maritimes solutions have been too blocky too. Looks like its 00z solution is a later phaser than the previous (I'm off don't get much at home)? Then again past performance may not be an indicator of future trends....

post-623-0-32785000-1350905213_thumb.gif

With a couple of systems this autumn, the Euro has had its southwest (or holding back) bias with systems over the Conus. Some of its solutions were a full 24 hours late with rain arriving late last week. I have to admit I haven't looked if its Canadian Maritimes solutions have been too blocky too. Looks like its 00z solution is a later phaser than the previous (I'm off don't get much at home)? Then again past performance may not be an indicator of future trends....

Interesting. I've been so out of the weather the last few months, I haven't noticed what the model trends have been like. That's really good information to know.

I don't get the spaghetti plots, so was just going off the mean. Did hear a few were ampd up.

Between the trudging out west affecting th incoming trough, the NATl low and the upstream ridging, and ooh yeah, how the tropical system develops, just a lot going on.

I do know the euro tends to wrap up these tropical disturbances a bit too much at times, so that's why I'm playing it safe.

Like it was pointd out above, some major differences between the synoptic 500h pattern.

Archived