Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy/Posttrop Phase Thread For PHL Area

phlwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wes (usedtobe) in the MA forum..

"The european ens has come quite a bit west and now gives much more support to the ecmwf making this a really interesting forecast.  The blocking the ens mean shows and the negative tilt trough increase the odds of the storm getting captured by the upper trough so I think Jason's (CWG) odds of over a 50% chance of someone along the east coast being impacted by the storm is now a pretty good call. We're still so far from the event lots can change but the strong blocking makes amplification of the approaching trough more likely than not which may make the overall pattern a little more predictable than normal.  Still, the timing of the amplification and the how fast and where the storm initially tracks will help decide where the system actually goes. "

It appears to be either a 50/50 split on the GFS ensembles between a fish and a bend-back at this point. If anything, the bend-back may even have 1 on the fish scenario as of 6z.

A la Ray Martin, I checked southwest.com this morning, but MDW-PHL is running $213, which is a bit high for me. Unless we want to start a collection...

Not sure if this is Capt. Obvious or not but I followed the models handling of Irene closely and each run when it got to the NC coast and began phasing with the jet, models went nuts with the strength. I know the Euro and GGEM are phase happy in the medium range so I'm still skeptical of them but I just don't see this sub 950mb monster and agree with the HPC's strength of a still strong but nothing like that 920something the Nogaps had a couple days ago or the sub 950 on the Euro.

Not sure if this is Capt. Obvious or not but I followed the models handling of Irene closely and each run when it got to the NC coast and began phasing with the jet, models went nuts with the strength. I know the Euro and GGEM are phase happy in the medium range so I'm still skeptical of them but I just don't see this sub 950mb monster and agree with the HPC's strength of a still strong but nothing like that 920something the Nogaps had a couple days ago or the sub 950 on the Euro.

Yup totally agree. But this could still be a $1b storm without getting down to 950.

Yup totally agree. But this could still be a $1b storm without getting down to 950.

Of course. Anytime you have an event like that hitting such a highly populated area 1 billion in damage is very possible. Most strong noreasters can get over a billion if they are blocked and move slowly. The first flakes in this area once again being in October would be kinda fun so I guess that New England track would give us the best chance at that.

gfs still taking small strides towards the euro and ggem with a deeper trof and trying to phase in the s/w rounding the base. This run continues to get closer with the phase with a little more involvement of the s/w. Another major difference is the location of sandy once the s/w starts to interact with it. The gfs is well east of the euro and ggem foreasted spots. So even when the gfs tries to phase it in, granted its later in the game the storm is just way to far ots.

A purely hypothetical question for some of the meteorologists here. If we have a hurricane in the Bahamas that fully transitions itself into an extratropical storm that approaches the EC with comparable strength, would we still get hurricane warnings or some other type of storm warning. If I’m correct, they called Hazel a hurricane all the way into Canada.

gfs still taking small strides towards the euro and ggem with a deeper trof and trying to phase in the s/w rounding the base. This run continues to get closer with the phase with a little more involvement of the s/w. Another major difference is the location of sandy once the s/w starts to interact with it. The gfs is well east of the euro and ggem foreasted spots. So even when the gfs tries to phase it in, granted its later in the game the storm is just way to far ots.

Yeah baby steps. Lets see if the Euro/GGEM hold their ground.

Of course. Anytime you have an event like that hitting such a highly populated area 1 billion in damage is very possible. Most strong noreasters can get over a billion if they are blocked and move slowly. The first flakes in this area once again being in October would be kinda fun so I guess that New England track would give us the best chance at that.

Back to back October snows for the area, now that would be ......

A purely hypothetical question for some of the meteorologists here. If we have a hurricane in the Bahamas that fully transitions itself into an extratropical storm that approaches the EC with comparable strength, would we still get hurricane warnings or some other type of storm warning. If I’m correct, they called Hazel a hurricane all the way into Canada.

If/when it goes post-tropical, all tropical storm and hurricane watches/warnings will be discontinued. In their place will be gale, storm, and potentially hurricane force wind warnings.

Few days ago the models IMO were bringing Sandy up the coast at a faster rate. Some of the big storm solutions were showing the initial shortwave going negative and phasing with Sandy. The GGEM especially was one of the models showing this. The big question now, since it looks like Sandy will take longer to come up the coast, is if a back side shortwave in the trough can phase with Sandy quick enough to capture the low. This idea of the 2nd wave phasing with Sandy adds to the chances of frozen precip in the higher elevations of the interior since more cold air will be available from the delay in phasing.

Few days ago the models IMO were bringing Sandy up the coast at a faster rate. Some of the big storm solutions were showing the initial shortwave going negative and phasing with Sandy. The GGEM especially was one of the models showing this. The big question now, since it looks like Sandy will take longer to come up the coast, is if a back side shortwave in the trough can phase with Sandy quick enough to capture the low. This idea of the 2nd wave phasing with Sandy adds to the chances of frozen precip in the higher elevations of the interior since more cold air will be available from the delay in phasing.

IMHO, the slower sandy comes out of the gulp the better shot of phasing and a hit on the coast. This would give the trof a head start. Though, in contrast it also allows the ocean low to escape which is also holding sandy at bay. Jusr\t shows how convoluted the pattern is. I get a kick out of dt on fb proclaiming how the nogaps is kicking the gfs's butt on this. Granted the gfs may be wrong but how can you decipher that with 6 days to go and in a pattern with so many pieces around.

Curious if the ensemble mean will be any closer\more members phased....dammit, wish my lunch break came at euro time

its pretty much the same as 0z, takes sandy into long island then into southeast ny. We get about 4-7 inches of rain most from phl to coast. I can't go off the euro maos i have but their is a good amount of precip for us with 850 temps below 0 and temps in the 30s from del river east. Area with 500 ft or higher in elev and west should see some snow on this per that run

Archived