Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2012-2013

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...

Took my eye's off this thing for 12 hours and it's already undergoing bombogenesis. 

12z ECMWF brought Rusty up to a whopping 130 knots/918mbs at 60 hours. Seems very reasonable if the trends seen over the past few hours continue. 

Already at 60 knots/978mbs

(Really a fan of the last frame)

rbtop-animated.gif

H.  REMARKS...SYSTEM HAS DEVELOPED RAPIDLY OVER THE LAST 24 HOURS. TWINHOOKING BANDS APPEAR TO BE FORMING A BANDING TYPE EYE.  CONVECTIONMEASURES 9/10 FOR A DT OF 3.5. PT AGREES WHILE THE MET IS 3.0 ON A RAPIDDEVELOPMENT CURVE. FT IS BASED ON DT.

wgmswvirZ.gif

Wow...

Took my eye's off this thing for 12 hours and it's already undergoing bombogenesis. 

12z ECMWF brought Rusty up to a whopping 130 knots/918mbs at 60 hours. Seems very reasonable if the trends seen over the past few hours continue. 

Already at 60 knots/978mbs

(Really a fan of the last frame)

H. REMARKS...SYSTEM HAS DEVELOPED RAPIDLY OVER THE LAST 24 HOURS. TWIN

HOOKING BANDS APPEAR TO BE FORMING A BANDING TYPE EYE.  CONVECTIONMEASURES 9/10 FOR A DT OF 3.5. PT AGREES WHILE THE MET IS 3.0 ON A RAPIDDEVELOPMENT CURVE. FT IS BASED ON DT.

Yep--  it's bombing.  It's interesting, given that it took so long to get going.  Now it's BOOM!

Latest JTWC forecast brings the cyclone ashore a little further W-- about halfway between the towns of Port Hedland and Karratha-- with winds of 115 kt!

Serious sh*t.

Maybe the criteria  for you to chase this is low enough. I'm sure you would go if it became that strong. Hoping someone can get under the landfall area and document the TC decently and without any drama, something that iCyclone does best.

This is the only chaser group I know of that has been following this system.

http://www.auscyclonechasers.com/

Maybe the criteria  for you to chase this is low enough. I'm sure you would go if it became that strong. Hoping someone can get under the landfall area and document the TC decently and without any drama, something that iCyclone does best.

This is the only chaser group I know of that has been following this system.

http://www.auscyclonechasers.com/

The only reason I'm not chasing it is that I am too busy with my business at this very moment.  The modeling made it enticing enough days ago.

The BoM track has nudged W (right), and now shows Port Hedland in the crosshairs.  

This is a pretty big deal, as the town has not been in the inner core of a really powerful cyclone in many  decades.  Joan 1975 and George 2007-- both Cat 4s on the USA scale-- passed close enough to blast the town with hours of sustained hurricane winds-- but both times, the RMW missed and the town escaped the worst:

post-19-0-81503700-1361756400_thumb.gif

You sure you mean Fremantle? Isn't that the port for Perth..way down in southwestern OZ?

If you looked at the Euro map 2 days later, it was still a coherent system much farther South in WA,  Freemantle is the port near Perth.  Consumed many a Swan and Emu in both towns.  Not as strong inland on the current run as the older run.  Still looks to get abut a quarter inch of rain to YPPH Friday

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!1

Edit to Add

CIMSS ADT

UW - CIMSS                    

ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE      

ADT-Version 8.1.3               

Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm      

----- Current Analysis -----

Date :  25 FEB 2013    Time : 003000 UTC

Lat :   17:59:11 S     Lon :  118:23:39 E

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax 3.5 / 984.3mb/ 55.0kt

Final T#  Adj T#  Raw T#

3.5     3.6     3.6

Center Temp : -56.5C    Cloud Region Temp : -73.3C

Scene Type : EMBEDDED CENTER CLOUD REGION

Positioning Method : FORECAST INTERPOLATION

Ocean Basin : INDIAN       

Dvorak CI > MSLP Conversion Used : PACIFIC  

Tno/CI Rules : Constraint Limits : NO LIMIT

Weakening Flag : OFF  

Rapid Dissipation Flag : OFF  

C/K/Z MSLP Estimate Inputs :

- Average 34 knot radii :   85km

- Environmental MSLP    : 1002mb

Satellite Viewing Angle : 36.9 degrees

Trough bypassing to the south will keep steering currents pretty weak. Euro is a lot slower than the GFS, but both are a significant hit to Port Hedland. Euro with the eye crossing over YPPD, and the GFS dropping >400mm of rain and TS and hurricane conditions for over 3 days.

Trough bypassing to the south will keep steering currents pretty weak. Euro is a lot slower than the GFS, but both are a significant hit to Port Hedland. Euro with the eye crossing over YPPD, and the GFS dropping >400mm of rain and TS and hurricane conditions for over 3 days.

Gonna get some yummy data out of PHE.   :pepsi:

(P.S.  Should we call it YPPD or PHE in this thread?  We're talkin' about the same place.)

See, now why can't we have nice things like this in the W-ATL? :cry: ................................................................... :popcorn:

I was thinking exactly that today-- how we haven't seen these large areas of extreme cold cloud tops in a NATL cyclone in a very long time.  But the S Hemisphere's been seeing this plenty.  Cyclone Evan-- the one that hit all the SPAC islands earlier in the season-- also had wide coverage of extremely deep convection.

Cyclone Rusty has reached hurricane strength.  The JTWC puts the intensity at 65 kt (1-min), and an eye is clearly visible in IR imagery.  The BoM hasn't yet upgraded the cyclone to "Severe" (Cat 3), but that seems likely in the next advice.

The BoM track has been shifting a bit, but the very latest brings a strong cyclone ashore very close to Port Hedland in ~48 hr:

post-19-0-37105100-1361790149_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-24938000-1361790127_thumb.gif

Cyclone Rusty has reached hurricane strength.  The JTWC puts the intensity at 65 kt (1-min), and an eye is clearly visible in IR imagery.  The BoM hasn't yet upgraded the cyclone to "Severe" (Cat 3), but that seems likely in the next advice.

The BoM track has been shifting a bit, but the very latest brings a strong cyclone ashore very close to Port Hedland in ~48 hr:

attachicon.gifavn0-lalo (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIDW60280 (1).gif

100 knots sustained (Australian rules) plus large size and slow movement, I imagine the floods and the wind damage will be severe.

There's one dude who might-- a photographer named Steve Brooks.  He asked me to come chase it with him-- to partner up on the effort-- but I am just too busy this week.  (Election season here.)  The Oz Cyclone Chaser dudes are going to sit it out, as they're Queensland-based and it's not easy for them to get across the continent to the remote corners of the Pilbara.

From Perth Weather Live Facebook...

Update from what could be ground zero over the next 72 hours.

------

Currently preparing for Rusty to approach the coast, the modelling is still showing a landfall nearly direct with Port Hedland or just to the east, "IF" Rusty does cross to the West of Hedland then the rainfall and storm surge is going to be massive.

Those Hedland residents whom are taking this cyclone like just another one, I would be stopping and taking a moment to rethink your ideas. Take the time to organise your emergency plans if things start becoming really bad.

Head to the strongest part of your house, normally the bathroom or a hallway, take a table and mattress bunker down, I am up here to document this system but when things become to bad I too will be bunkering down.

Please remember power will go down, so I won't be able to update once my phone loses power hence, phone reception may go down as well.

Take care all.

Steve

Archived