• Created
  • Last Reply

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!1

IDW10800
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Western Australia

Tropical Cyclone Three Day Outlook for the Western Region
Issued at 12:52 pm WST on Sunday 6 January 2013
for the period until midnight WST Wednesday 9 January 2013.

Existing Cyclones in the  Western Region:

Nil.

Potential Cyclones: 

At 8am WST Sunday a tropical low [1001hPa] was located in the Timor Sea
near 10.2S 125.8E just to the east of the Western Region. The low is expected
to develop and move in a generally
west direction into the Western Region on Monday. It is likely to reach cyclone
intensity on either Tuesday or Wednesday well north of the Australian mainland.

Likelihood of this system being a tropical cyclone in the Western Region on:
Monday          Moderate  
Tuesday           High        
Wednesday         High        

The BoM has initiated advices on the Tropical Low.  This forecast map (below) only shows out to 48 hr-- but the BoM's forecast beyond this has it curving toward the coast, heading in the general direction of the Gascoyne.  The Technical Bulletin reads:

The TC is forecast to move closer to the WA coast later in the week under the influence of an approaching upper trough, but its longer term movement is uncertain.

The 72-hr intensity is 90 kt (10-min) and strengthening-- a Cat 3 on our scale:

post-19-0-11267200-1357550095_thumb.gif

Cyclone Narelle has formed.  Forecast tracks from the JTWC and BoM both suggest a powerful cyclone probably missing the Gascoyne to the W.  (The BoM map only depicts up to 48 hr-- however, their forecast goes out to 72 hr, and in the longer range, they show a subtle bend right, away from the coast, like the JTWC.)   I should also point out that the Euro has kept it well offshore, run after run.

Anyhoo, it bears watching, given that both agencies bring it up to Cat 4 SS (JTWC: 125 kt (1-min); BoM: 100 kt (10-min)).

post-19-0-64590800-1357635029_thumb.gif

post-19-0-80256000-1357635041_thumb.gif

125kt at 20S? That forecast seems sketchy to me.

It does seem a little bullish, but it's not unheard of.  See Vance 1999, which came ashore near Exmouth as a Cat 4 SS.  The best-track data have it at 21.4S at 00Z 22 Mar with winds of over 120 kt (1-min):

http://db.hellohelp.net/hurdat_storms/storm_search.php#map_top

Forecast getting more interesting.  Most guidance still keeps Narelle offshore, but the trend is closer to land and stronger. 

attachicon.gifsh0813.gif

What's also interesting is that the JTWC and BoM seem to be reading the tea leaves differently, as the JTWC has trended further from the coast with each forecast, and the BoM has trended closer.

Narelle is now a Severe Tropical Cyclone-- i.e., a hurricane-- with an intensity of 65 kt (10-min). It's forecast to reach 105 kt-- a Cat 4 SS-- as it heads S, and there's now a Cyclone Watch for the W end of the Pilbara and the Gascoyne.

For some reason, the BoM doesn't map their forecasts past 48 hr (grrrr), so I've taken it upon myself to map it. As you can see, they're showing a subtle turning back left, closer to the North West Cape, late in the period:

post-19-0-71245000-1357724638_thumb.gif

post-19-0-02503700-1357724654_thumb.png

I still think the core of this one stays offshore. Canadian has been the only model, to my knowledge, consistently forecasting a WA strike. ECMWF has been very consistent and the GFS has trended west. Hopefully we get some Top End action soon.

I still think the core of this one stays offshore. Canadian has been the only model, to my knowledge, consistently forecasting a WA strike. ECMWF has been very consistent and the GFS has trended west. Hopefully we get some Top End action soon.

I'm no forecaster, but I'd tend to agree with you.  However, I see that both the JTWC and BoM and are now showing a subtle veering to the left (i..e, closer to the coast) late in the forecast period.  And the latest JTWC track has edged a bit closer to the North West Cape, it seems to me.

Narelle is slowly strengthening-- now 75 kt (10-min) as per the BoM-- a Cat 2 SS.  Cyclone Warnings have been hoisted for the Gascoyne and W Pilbara-- i.e., the extreme-NW tip of the continent-- but both agencies are forecasting that it will miss to the W.

Beyond this immediate threat... We're in an active phase, and the models are hinting at more action after Narelle.

The JTWC's latest forecast brings a Ca-4 SS cyclone uncomfortably close to the North West Cape.  The Remarks are interesting:

THE MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT THROUGH TAU 36, BUT CONTINUE TO DIVERGE AFTERWARDS. NOGAPS AND THE UKMET MODEL ARE THE LEFT OUTLIERS WHILE GFDN AND ECMWF ARE THE RIGHT OUTLIERS. THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK IS IN THE MIDDLE THE MODEL ENVELOPE AND IS VERY CLOSE TO CONSENSUS. DUE TO THE CONTINUED SPREAD IN DYNAMIC GUIDANCE AFTER TAU 48, THERE IS LOW CONFIDENCE IN THE JTWC FORECAST TRACK.

post-19-0-23571800-1357824544_thumb.png

Re: Australia's North West Cape...  It's a spike of land without much except a small town, Exmouth (pop. ~2K), and a dual-use airport/AFB, Learmonth.

In 1999, Cyclone Vance made landfall in the Exmouth Gulf as a Cat 4 SS.  The Learmonth Meteorological Office recorded an official gust to 146 kt, and Exmouth was devastated.

You're talking about the JTWC's forecast?  So you think it should just die instead of transitioning?

It will all depend upon the SST's and shear-earlier they did dissipate it but could be the closer track to land will keep the system away from the coldest water and highest shear-also forward motion will be a factor.

Stve

Gee, I called this one well, lol. I saw the TV news tonight and there was a definite eye on visible satellite images. This is one healthy storm.

If it continues it's W/SW motion it could potentially be pushed back towards the coast by the next approaching frontal system or if the heat over the continent rapidly dies off.

This could be a good system for the WA coast, as when it dies, the remnants will drift over the continent and help with their drought.

It will all depend upon the SST's and shear-earlier they did dissipate it but could be the closer track to land will keep the system away from the coldest water and highest shear-also forward motion will be a factor.

Stve

OK, gotcha.  It seems like the cyclone has moved further W than expected, so that I guess that means it'll go over the colder water.

Gee, I called this one well, lol. I saw the TV news tonight and there was a definite eye on visible satellite images. This is one healthy storm.

If it continues it's W/SW motion it could potentially be pushed back towards the coast by the next approaching frontal system or if the heat over the continent rapidly dies off.

This could be a good system for the WA coast, as when it dies, the remnants will drift over the continent and help with their drought.

Yeah, seems like the heat and drought conditions have been crazy in Australia this year!

Archived