Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2012-2013

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To give you an example of the unique effects cyclone remnants have on Australia, any west coast cyclones that dissipate over land head over the continent as they head polewards (as opposed to your Atlantic/Gulf systems which zip out over the Atlantic).

An example of this is the remnant trough of Narelle that is currently stretching down from the monsoon trough over south eastern Australia. These troughs are great for welcome summer rain events.

You can also see that cyclones that occur over the very northern end of Queensland tend to do a similar thing, but they travel down the whole Queensland coast (and into New South Wales if still strong enough). I think the land interaction and clockwise rotation of the remnants encourage the Queensland storms to coast cruise when they die.

That situation with west coast storms is very similar to what happens with GOM storm in the US that track well into the interior of the US sometimes with a fair degree of intensity. In both cases the relatively flat terrain of the Plains towards the OH river Valley and the overall flat terrain of Australia proper are significant factors

Steve

To give you an example of the unique effects cyclone remnants have on Australia, any west coast cyclones that dissipate over land head over the continent as they head polewards (as opposed to your Atlantic/Gulf systems which zip out over the Atlantic).

An example of this is the remnant trough of Narelle that is currently stretching down from the monsoon trough over south eastern Australia. These troughs are great for welcome summer rain events.

You can also see that cyclones that occur over the very northern end of Queensland tend to do a similar thing, but they travel down the whole Queensland coast (and into New South Wales if still strong enough). I think the land interaction and clockwise rotation of the remnants encourage the Queensland storms to coast cruise when they die.

Interesting-- thanks for this explanation.  I understand why the W Coast systems would bring significant weather to the interior, but I guess I don't understand why the E Coast systems would hug the coast like that.  Oswald's remnants seem to be causing more mischief than usual, I would think.

That situation with west coast storms is very similar to what happens with GOM storm in the US that track well into the interior of the US sometimes with a fair degree of intensity. In both cases the relatively flat terrain of the Plains towards the OH river Valley and the overall flat terrain of Australia proper are significant factors

Steve

Ah, that makes sense.  Good analogy.

Oswald's remnant low is really causing quite a bit of disruption in Queensland-- not just extremely heavy rainfall, but also gale winds and even a couple of small tornadoes.  

It's quite a weather maker for a non-cyclone-- and it's interesting that this could end up being the big tropical story for Oz this season.  lolz

Oswald's remnant low is really causing quite a bit of disruption in Queensland-- not just extremely heavy rainfall, but also gale winds and even a couple of small tornadoes.  

It's quite a weather maker for a non-cyclone-- and it's interesting that this could end up being the big tropical story for Oz this season.  lolz

Stolen from Oz Cyclone Chaser's FB

post-138-0-67425400-1359185490_thumb.jpg

Oswald's remnant low continues to cause widespread flooding and tornado threats in populated areas of Queensland, including Brisbane.  It's a big weather story, but since it's not a tropical cyclone, I'm not that motivated to report on it.

In the meantime, a cyclone has formed well E of Madagascar.  Both the JTWC and Meteo France take it W, toward Madagascar, but recurve it S just before it reaches the island.  It should be noted that the Euro brings the cyclone very close to Madagascar and makes it quite strong as it moves just a hair offshore.

My Facebook feed became overloaded with minute-by-minute updates about these ex-cyclone Oswald floods.  I get that it's sort of loosely cyclone-related, but I definitely don't need up-to-the-minute coverage from five Facebook pages Re: freshwater flooding in Queensland.  I'm making some temporary adjustments to my news feed until this story passes.  I'm passionate about tropical cyclones, but freshwater flooding puts me to sleep-- even if it's here in California.   :sleepy:

Shame about the focus on the floods on your FB page. I know you are a tropical weather purist so that would be annoying.

It's interesting to hear people talk about this weather system, this was a much more normal setup in the 70's, but people have very short memories. We're just returning to a proper la Nina.

However, there is a lot more to this system than just the rain (which really has been exceptional with 550mm in 24 hours reported at more than one location). Winds are still at 100km/h gusts and ocean swells at 10 metres. What makes these swells more impressive is that the storm has spent a lot of it's time over the barrier reef, so it's influence on oceanic waves has been much less significant than it could've been.

It's interesting, I live a long way south and about 100km from the coast, we're just feeling the edge of the system now and it's bringing in very, very humid, warm air with it. If I hadn't been told by meteorologists it was extratropical now, I'd for sure think it was a tropical storm.

I don't know when this storm will leave the Australian coast, or in what shape it will be in, but if it leaves as far south as Sydney as predicted and moves rapidly poleward, the intensification could put New Zealand in some trouble. I personally think this system has a lot more life left in it yet.

Shame about the focus on the floods on your FB page. I know you are a tropical weather purist so that would be annoying.

Oh, it's fine-- don't listen to me complaining. I feel silly now that I even remarked on it. :D

It's interesting to hear people talk about this weather system, this was a much more normal setup in the 70's, but people have very short memories. We're just returning to a proper la Nina.

However, there is a lot more to this system than just the rain (which really has been exceptional with 550mm in 24 hours reported at more than one location). Winds are still at 100km/h gusts and ocean swells at 10 metres. What makes these swells more impressive is that the storm has spent a lot of it's time over the barrier reef, so it's influence on oceanic waves has been much less significant than it could've been.

It's interesting, I live a long way south and about 100km from the coast, we're just feeling the edge of the system now and it's bringing in very, very humid, warm air with it. If I hadn't been told by meteorologists it was extratropical now, I'd for sure think it was a tropical storm.

I don't know when this storm will leave the Australian coast, or in what shape it will be in, but if it leaves as far south as Sydney as predicted and moves rapidly poleward, the intensification could put New Zealand in some trouble. I personally think this system has a lot more life left in it yet.

Very interesting, actually. I didn't know this sort of setup was common in the past. We have the same thing happen here in the States, where the media-- and residents-- act like an event is unprecedented, simply because it hasn't happened in 30 years. (For example, Sandy: yeah, it was bad, but it wasn't unprecedented.)

Interesting also that it seems to be bringing tropical air to your neck of the woods. The effects on the coast have looked like a tropical cyclone, with the wind and everything.

how about that sea foam 

My Facebook feed became overloaded with minute-by-minute updates about these ex-cyclone Oswald floods.  I get that it's sort of loosely cyclone-related, but I definitely don't need up-to-the-minute coverage from five Facebook pages Re: freshwater flooding in Queensland.  I'm making some temporary adjustments to my news feed until this story passes.  I'm passionate about tropical cyclones, but freshwater flooding puts me to sleep-- even if it's here in California.   :sleepy:

Hang in there Josh, the monsoon trough is still very active and there is lots of instability about. Just last night I watched the satellite run on the TV weather and the whole Gulf of Carpentaria exploded in afternoon convection.. Anything is possible and conditions are ripe for a quick forming Gulf system.

Well, OK.  :)  Thanks for the words of hope.

Archived