Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2012-2013

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly a lot of convection in the area, although nothing particularly interesting stands out at this time (maybe some very broad rotation). 

post-378-0-14458300-1361465699_thumb.gif

If GFS is to be believed, we should be looking at something resembling a lopsided TS in 36 hrs time.  Euro still quite a bit slower to get going, as pointed out already. 

post-378-0-63787200-1361465873_thumb.jpg

12Z Euro much stronger, west.

Looks to intensify right up to landfall on the free ECMWF site, but any American man of adventure looking to chase would have to spring into action immediately, and our favorite intrepid chaser has been dropping hints that we shall again depend on the Oz Cyclone Chasers, and they seem to suggest WA is a long trip for them.

12Z Euro much stronger, west.

Yup, saw that.

Looks to intensify right up to landfall on the free ECMWF site, but any American man of adventure looking to chase would have to spring into action immediately, and our favorite intrepid chaser has been dropping hints that we shall again depend on the Oz Cyclone Chasers, and they seem to suggest WA is a long trip for them.

Yeah, it's election season in L.A. and I'm swamped-- working for three candidates.  I'm gonna have to sit this one out.  It's cool.

New GFS is quick to the coast, landfall in about 2 days, but very slow after.  Eyealling numbers for YBRM (Broome) on AccuWx PPV, looks like about a foot of rain in the next week.  I don't have a calculator handy, but about 4 inches in the next 24 hours alone.

IDR172.gif

Just issued 0651Z  95 knots, and I think they do the 10 minute thing.  Josh will know.

FORECAST DATA
Date/Time   : Location    : Loc. Accuracy: Max Wind   : Central Pressure
[uTC]       : degrees     :      nm  [km]: knots[km/h]: hPa
+12: 23/1800: 16.3S 118.1E:     070 [130]:  030  [055]:  996
+24: 24/0600: 17.0S 118.0E:     080 [150]:  040  [075]:  991
+36: 24/1800: 17.4S 118.1E:     090 [165]:  050  [095]:  984
+48: 25/0600: 17.9S 118.3E:     110 [205]:  060  [110]:  977
+60: 25/1800: 18.5S 118.8E:     130 [240]:  080  [150]:  958
+72: 26/0600: 19.3S 119.3E:     150 [280]:  095  [175]:  944
REMARKS:
Dvorak DT of 2.5 obtained on last couple of VIS images based on 0.4-0.5 Curved
Band wrap on last few images. The system was assigned an initial classification
of T1.5 at 18Z. [T1.5 based on very favourable conditions for development]. MET
and PAT are at 2.0 and FT is assigned [and in any case constrained] to 2.0. No
objective intensity analysis aids available.

The system has shown a marked increase in organisation even against the diurnal
trend. Shear is low, SSTs are very high and there is not expected to be any dry
air. Consequently it is expected to intensify steadily with a period of rapid
intensification likely at some stage.  given the very favourable
conditions.Although outflow is confined to northern quadrants at present, by
Monday the system should develop an outflow channel to the south.

The system is expected to move slowly to the southwest before turning southwards
and then southeast as a mid-level trough passing to the south erodes the ridge.
Model guidance still shows some spread but amongst models that intensify the
system there is better agreement.

Copyright Commonwealth of Australia
==
The next bulletin for this system will be issued by: 23/1300 UTC by Perth TCWC.

The BoM's forecast has the cyclone turning S and then SSE as it accelerates toward the coast.  They seem to be following the Euro solution, as their track trajectory (shown below) suggests a landfall near 20S 120E-- basically what the Euro is showing. This is a desolate section of the Pilbara coast, maybe 100 mi E of Port Hedland (pop. ~15K).

Interestingly, they have the cyclone strengthening rapidly in the last day of the forecast, with the winds increasing 35 kt between 48 and 72 hr.  The 72-hr intensity is 95 kt (10-min)--  a high-end Cat 3 on our scale.

post-19-0-48171100-1361608069_thumb.png

The BoM's forecast has the cyclone turning S and then SSE as it accelerates toward the coast.  They seem to be following the Euro solution, as their track trajectory (shown below) suggests a landfall near 20S 120E-- basically what the Euro is showing. This is a desolate section of the Pilbara coast, maybe 100 mi E of Port Hedland (pop. ~15K).

Interestingly, they have the cyclone strengthening rapidly in the last day of the forecast, with the winds increasing 35 kt between 48 and 72 hr.  The 72-hr intensity is 95 kt (10-min)--  a high-end Cat 3 on our scale.

attachicon.gifcyclone_track.png

Do you know anybody who is a definite go to chase this?  It is looking to be an impressive storm.

Do you know anybody who is a definite go to chase this?  It is looking to be an impressive storm.

There's one dude who might-- a photographer named Steve Brooks.  He asked me to come chase it with him-- to partner up on the effort-- but I am just too busy this week.  (Election season here.)  The Oz Cyclone Chaser dudes are going to sit it out, as they're Queensland-based and it's not easy for them to get across the continent to the remote corners of the Pilbara.

The 12Z Euro is out, and it's sticking really solidly to the idea of an intense, slow-moving cyclone coming ashore about halfway between Port Hedland and Sandfire Roadhouse.  Still too early to talk landfall points-- as the system doesn't even have a coherent center yet-- but it's interesting how steady the Euro's been these last couple of runs.

It is a big thing to try and fly across to Broome. It's pretty much a holiday destination with flights only from major cities and then they aren't daily flights.

Flying across the continent from the east coast is expensive at the best of times (its a 3000km flight), add one or two connecting flights to that and it would easily make it a $1k chase just in return airfares.

I've been watching the visible images for this thing, there is a mountain of heavy convection going up all around it. If for some reason the track lasted an extra 24 hours than forecast, this could easily go Cat 5 and we may even see it strengthen, or at the very least hold it's intensity, well inland I suspect. it's definitely got the rotation going nicely, it just needs more time to gather in moisture and heat.

It is a big thing to try and fly across to Broome. It's pretty much a holiday destination with flights only from major cities and then they aren't daily flights.

Flying across the continent from the east coast is expensive at the best of times (its a 3000km flight), add one or two connecting flights to that and it would easily make it a $1k chase just in return airfares.

I've been watching the visible images for this thing, there is a mountain of heavy convection going up all around it. If for some reason the track lasted an extra 24 hours than forecast, this could easily go Cat 5 and we may even see it strengthen, or at the very least hold it's intensity, well inland I suspect. it's definitely got the rotation going nicely, it just needs more time to gather in moisture and heat.

Yeah, when I first started exploring airfares within Oz, I was surprised-- it seems even more expensive than flying across the USA.  So I can understand why the Oz Cyclone Chaser dudes need to be really selective about which WA subjects they go after.  Busts would be extremely expensive.

Woo hoo!

Here's the BoM's latest track forecast, showing the center just onshore a little E of Hedland within 72 hr.  The intensity forecast suggests it'll be around a Cat 3 (USA) when it comes ashore.

This all having been said, the system hasn't been in any hurry to get organized.  It's already approaching the coast, so it's going to start running out of room to develop if it doesn't get going soon:

post-19-0-60057700-1361675445_thumb.png

The JTWC has just designated this a cyclone, and they bring it much further W than the BoM. The landfall is right at Port Hedland with winds of 85 kt.

From the forecast discussion:

TC 17S IS FORECAST TO INTENSIFY RAPIDLY AFTER TAU 24 TO A PEAK INTENSITY OF 85 KNOTS PRIOR TO MAKING LANDFALL NEAR PORT HEDLAND. THE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO DISSIPATE OVER LAND BY TAU 120 AS IT RECURVES AHEAD OF A DEEP MIDLATITUDE SHORTWAVE TROUGH. THERE IS HIGH CONFIDENCE IN THE JTWC FORECAST TRACK.

Interestin'.

post-19-0-18562200-1361686408_thumb.png

Archived