• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Isaac Heavy Rain Event

Hoosier

The water tables will come up considerably with this event and that is key to agricultural interests in the spring. Nice to the see the 0.50" line creeping closer to my area.

Edit: Surprised to see no flood watches up south of I-80...!

It is so dry south of I-80 that unless it comes down as a deluge, the ground will be able to take a lot before flooding becomes an issue.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downstream, Pine Bluff AR (PBF) has had 8.39" storm total through 9:00pm.

Before this event, on August 29, they were at 22.10" of rainfall for the year...with a year to date departure of -10.96".

As of 9:00pm tonight, they're now at 30.49" for the year...with a year to date departure of -2.70".

The event is pretty much at the doorstep here and it's still very uncertain how much rain will fall here and for the QC. NAM has shifted back south a little in this area, but it looks like the GFS is maintaining the further north placement. Definitely not gonna get heavy rain here, but it's still possible we could get a half inch or so.

Isaac probably has become a cold core system again based on the phase space. Definitely has a cold front and warm front, and it's inner core is relatively convection free as opposed to the frontogenic regions. It's fun to watch tropical systems become mid-latitude systems as they interact with the mid-latitude baroclinicity. We can no longer consider this to be tropical though. It's no different than the average weak mid-latitude cyclone, but still remarkable since it's rare to have tropical air intrude this far north, and the air south of the warm front is certainly tropical. The mid-latitude vortex itself is due to the contrast between the tropical air and the continental air, driven by moisture differences rather than temperature. The original barotropic vortex might be 10% of the energy or less, and is being overwhelmed by other processes.

post-645-0-92839400-1346471320_thumb.png

Not sure what to expect here in LAF with this one. Run to run model continuity has been less than ideal.

0z Euro looks like about an inch total. 0z GFS with 2.50"+, 6z GFS about an inch. 0z NAM about 0.75", 6z NAM has 1.50"+. Can't say I like the look of the downstream radars for MBY at the moment. We'll see I guess.

Respectable amounts from the ILX CWA so far.

0700 AM HEAVY RAIN MORRISONVILLE 39.42N 89.46W

09/01/2012 M4.30 INCH CHRISTIAN IL CO-OP OBSERVER

0700 AM HEAVY RAIN 2 SW TAYLORVILLE 39.50N 89.29W

09/01/2012 M4.90 INCH CHRISTIAN IL CO-OP OBSERVER

0700 AM HEAVY RAIN 3 W KINCAID 39.59N 89.47W

09/01/2012 M3.42 INCH CHRISTIAN IL CO-OP OBSERVER

0700 AM HEAVY RAIN JACKSONVILLE 39.73N 90.23W

09/01/2012 M4.54 INCH MORGAN IL CO-OP OBSERVER

0600 AM HEAVY RAIN VIRGINIA 39.95N 90.21W

09/01/2012 M3.98 INCH CASS IL CO-OP OBSERVER

0542 AM HEAVY RAIN 1 SW WOODSON 39.62N 90.24W

09/01/2012 M4.50 INCH MORGAN IL MESONET

Not sure what to expect here in LAF with this one. Run to run model continuity has been less than ideal.

0z Euro looks like about an inch total. 0z GFS with 2.50"+, 6z GFS about an inch. 0z NAM about 0.75", 6z NAM has 1.50"+. Can't say I like the look of the downstream radars for MBY at the moment. We'll see I guess.

I think you'll do fine. Kind of a nowcast. With quasi boundary set up over area, the tropical moisture is having problems pushing into the drier air, but LAF looks to be far enough south that as the low begins to drift east, that plume currently across eastern IL should reach you and stay over you if the low does indeed take an ESE track. I'd say you'll be good for 1.75".

I think you'll do fine. Kind of a nowcast. With quasi boundary set up over area, the tropical moisture is having problems pushing into the drier air, but LAF looks to be far enough south that as the low begins to drift east, that plume currently across eastern IL should reach you and stay over you if the low does indeed take an ESE track. I'd say you'll be good for 1.75".

Yeah, I'm not sure. This thing is taking its time moving east. Big old dry slot lurks not far behind the band of rain to my southwest...not that it's one and done with this event of course. Tomorrow is still touch and go. Regardless, the earlier outlooks of 3.00-5.00"+ in this area will not be realized. Score one for Hoosier's guy at the local TV station. :lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure. This thing is taking its time moving east. Big old dry slot lurks not far behind the band of rain to my southwest...not that it's one and done with this event of course. Tomorrow is still touch and go. Regardless, the earlier outlooks of 3.00-5.00"+ in this area will not be realized. Score one for Hoosier's guy at the local TV station. :lol:

Indeed. It's all coming together for Chad's big September to August outlook!

Urban and small stream flood advisory up for Iroquois, Kankakee, and Will counties in LOT's CWA.

* UNTIL 130 PM CDT

* AT 1017 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

AN AREA OF HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA. DOPPLER RADAR

ESTIMATED THAT RAINFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES AN HOUR WERE

OCCURRING IN THE AREA.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS RAINFALL WILL CAUSE MINOR FLOODING TO OCCUR. SOME

LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE MINOR FLOODING INCLUDE...

BOURBONNAIS...BRADLEY...KANKAKEE...MOMENCE...WILMINGTON...AROMA

PARK...BRAIDWOOD...CHEBANSE...HERSCHER...HOPKINS PARK...AND ST.

ANNE.

:lol:

1020 AM HEAVY RAIN 2 E WILMINGTON 41.30N 88.12W

09/01/2012 M0.00 INCH WILL IL COCORAHS

RAINFALL IN 60 MINUTES. HEAVY RAIN STILL FALLING.

Talk about missing data!

Looks like Cyclone will get in on this band afterall. - although it does not look very heavy. Kankakee County is getting the brunt of the heavy rain right now.

Getting some moderate to at brief periods of heavy rain here at the moment. Should be short lived though, as it's relatively narrow and there isn't much on the radar just to my southwest. Looking at the 12z NAM and GFS, this might be it for LAF. :arrowhead:

Looks like a prolonged break before more stuff moves in. Really depends if we get under another enhanced band like we saw earlier.

Picked up a quick 1.15" at LAF.

Archived