Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I gave it a -8% offset which seems like a lot. I think it's a +/- 4% accuracy in the specs. Anyhow I'm tracking pretty well

with PTW. Right now I'm at 78/74, yielding 86% humidity. PTW is at 82/74 with 77% humidity, although they are reporting Lt rain.

Maybe, just maybe home wx stations really ARE more humid, because of grassier surroundings. The only reason I say this is because the Davis I have is dry, equal to or drier than EWR, on very dry days.

Just saw my Davis VP was showing a 78 DP @ 79.9 degrees, hence a humidity of 90%. Took a look at the reading @ PTW which is the

closest station and their humidity is 83%. So I applied an offset to the humidity to bring it back to 83% and the DP is now sitting @ 75.

Does this seem consistent with anyone else? I'm at 79.9, 83% hum and DP 75. 75 DP is still kind of rare, but this is a very tropical air mass.

Just a few miles from PTW and I have been running a 75/76 dewpoint just about all day.

Maybe, just maybe home wx stations really ARE more humid, because of grassier surroundings. The only reason I say this is because the Davis I have is dry, equal to or drier than EWR, on very dry days.

That would only make sense if you were comparing it to non-grassy locations. Aside from certain ones, many airport locations are quite grassy. Of course, the vegetation density around a typical home site is often higher than that.

That would only make sense if you were comparing it to non-grassy locations. Aside from certain ones, many airport locations are quite grassy. Of course, the vegetation density around a typical home site is often higher than that.

It's why the humidity runs higher at the Midwestern ASOSs, more grass and corn around. Urbanized airport stations, even if they do have some grass on them, have less grass in surroundings than mose home wx stations.

It's why the humidity runs higher at the Midwestern ASOSs, more grass and corn around. Urbanized airport stations, even if they do have some grass on them, have less grass in surroundings than mose home wx stations.

As I recall, it was mainly midwestern AWOS's which ran high, which suggested a sensor issue more than surrounding vegetation.

It sucks outside.

welcome to coastal life in South Carolina. In July and August, the DP rarely gets below 75, and in some stretches stays above 78/79 for weeks at a time. Last year I remember a day where it was 94F temp with a DP of 84. I think the HI was something like 122. However, the sea breeze through the multitude of trees offsets all that quite nicely, so that it actually feels more refreshing than being in PA on a day where it's 97 with a DP of 68. Like everything, you get used to it.

40 for an overnight low = awesome. -22 naso much. Temperatures between 40 and 90 with no humidity year round would be the best. I guess I should move to Spain?

I hear ya. The older I get, the more I dream of a place like Sedona, AZ or Boulder, CO (loved both places after visiting).

Sure some cold/snow in winter. But PLENTY of sunny, dry days.

Thanks to this damn rain, I locked my car with the keys in it at the bank and had to sprint 4 miles back to my house to go on my computer and look up a locksmith. It was raining so heavilly and hard. I always lock my car, its second nature to me. And now I will be 3 hours late to my class up in newtown! ftw.

I guess something awesome is going to happen soon? Is that how it works, I hope...

Thanks to this damn rain, I locked my car with the keys in it at the bank and had to sprint 4 miles back to my house to go on my computer and look up a locksmith. It was raining so heavilly and hard. I always lock my car, its second nature to me. And now I will be 3 hours late to my class up in newtown! ftw.

I guess something awesome is going to happen soon? Is that how it works, I hope...

Ouch, you could have called the police to jimmy it open.

^^

Me and the fellas from the firehouse are heading up the poconos for our annual golf trip. Sun-thurs, nothing but golf, beers and cigars (don't worry, Sunday's tee time is early enough so as that we'll be watching the birds!)... Glad Leslie isn't gonna hold up the east coast pattern like some models were forecasting 3-4 days ago.

^^

Me and the fellas from the firehouse are heading up the poconos for our annual golf trip. Sun-thurs, nothing but golf, beers and cigars (don't worry, Sunday's tee time is early enough so as that we'll be watching the birds!)... Glad Leslie isn't gonna hold up the east coast pattern like some models were forecasting 3-4 days ago.

Awesome!

Nice chilly mornings/evenings. :)

Enjoy.

Did the front stall last night? Was checking that line of rain and storms that was just sitting over the delaware bay for 9 hours. Heard distant thunder until about 5 AM. Kind of glad it setup there and not over wildwood again.

Yeah, the front pretty much slowed down and became nearly stationary across the Delmarva.

Archived