Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

walking into work on a monday morning downpour, umbrella, coffee, laptop = fun

Parking garage which leads directly to my building FTW. :P

Been raining on and off since 7 AM this morning...and very heavily at times. Good thing it's been pretty dry the previous 7 days, or my lawn would be a marsh with all the rain we've had this summer.

For today's two thundershowers, the recalibrated Davis tipping bucket ran exactly the same as the Standard 8" Rain Gauge here, with 0.28" this morning and 0.24" just in the last half hour. Interestingly, the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge which is situated directly in between the two (the three gauges are only 3 feet apart) read dry for both, with 0.26" this morning and 0.23" this afternoon.

JB also said "cat 2 to the Keys" with Isaac.

This is shaping up as one of the worst tropical busts he's had since....I think Irene?

I'm pretty sure everything that came out of his mouth was a bust last winter too. Who still listens to this guy? At this point, if he said the sun would come up tomorrow, I would have my doubts...

Looking towards the long weekend, the latest 12Z GFS and 0Z Euro delay the arrival of Isaac remnants until Monday afternoon or Monday evening. But who really knows where they will go?

Tempwise, Euro says hot on Saturday while GFS says mild. Both say seasonably cool on Sunday and Monday.

Sat/Sun seem to be best bet for outdoorsy stuff. Me, I'm more of an indoorsman.

Looking towards the long weekend, the latest 12Z GFS and 0Z Euro delay the arrival of Isaac remnants until Monday afternoon or Monday evening. But who really knows where they will go?

Tempwise, Euro says hot on Saturday while GFS says mild. Both say seasonably cool on Sunday and Monday.

Sat/Sun seem to be best bet for outdoorsy stuff. Me, I'm more of an indoorsman.

Looks kinda interesting for storms Monday could be some strong ones.

i thought the davis usually reads lower not higher.

As it turns out, the straight-from-the-factory Davis VP2 rain gauge isn't exactly the best calibrated instrument in the world. I've seen more than a handful of comments about catches either too high or too low via Google searches on the topic. Fortunately, its not too hard to calibrate; taking the funnel off reveals two screws, 1 under each bucket. Adjusting them changes the calibration.

Yesterday, until I left at least, I had all three guages out (8" standard rain gauge, 4" CoCoRaHS, and Davis tipper). The re-calibrated Davis ran exactly the same as the 8", while interestingly enough, the 4" ran low by 5-6%. Doing a bit more searching on the topic revealed that the 4" might have a minor issue with splash-out during heavy rain because of the limited funnel depth.

This morning the 4" and the Davis ran exactly the same. I pulled the 8" out when I left since my parents don't normally check it; only reason I have it is for big "thump" snowstorms which might quickly overwhelm the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge (which is only rated for 6" of snowfall).

I've been watching the 5 day qpf maps from HPC to see just where Isaac's remants and associated rainfall will end up. As of this map, central and eastern PA do not see any appreciable rainfall from the storm. My question is, does Isaac rain himself out over the midwest and Ohio Valley, or does his rains make it into the region beyond the 5 days this map is depicting?

I've been watching the 5 day qpf maps from HPC to see just where Isaac's remants and associated rainfall will end up. As of this map, central and eastern PA do not see any appreciable rainfall from the storm. My question is, does Isaac rain himself out over the midwest and Ohio Valley, or does his rains make it into the region beyond the 5 days this map is depicting?

Isaac remains will likely reach the area beyond the HPC analysis time of 12z Monday. That said, it appears that the forecast area will receive something from Isaac, but likely not anything like what NOLA or the midwest will get.

From My Holly:

THE QUESTION ON EVERY ONES MIND IS HOW WILL THE REMNANTS OF

HURRICANE ISAAC AFFECT OUR REGION, AND WHEN. MODELS STILL SHOW A

BULK OF THE MOISTURE REMAINING TO OUR WEST BY MONDAY, BUT AS THE

REMNANT LOW MOVES INTO THE OHIO VALLEY ON MONDAY A WARM FRONT IS

LIFTED TOWARDS THE REGION ALLOWING THE TROPICAL MOISTURE TO MOVE

INTO OUR NECK OF THE WOODS EARLY TUESDAY MORNING.

Isaac remains will likely reach the area beyond the HPC analysis time of 12z Monday. That said, it appears that the forecast area will receive something from Isaac, but likely not anything like what NOLA or the midwest will get.

From My Holly:

THE QUESTION ON EVERY ONES MIND IS HOW WILL THE REMNANTS OF

HURRICANE ISAAC AFFECT OUR REGION, AND WHEN. MODELS STILL SHOW A

BULK OF THE MOISTURE REMAINING TO OUR WEST BY MONDAY, BUT AS THE

REMNANT LOW MOVES INTO THE OHIO VALLEY ON MONDAY A WARM FRONT IS

LIFTED TOWARDS THE REGION ALLOWING THE TROPICAL MOISTURE TO MOVE

INTO OUR NECK OF THE WOODS EARLY TUESDAY MORNING.

Understood and thanks for the response. I know that we aren't going to see anything other than a perhaps a good rain and a light breeze from a gulf hurricane. A good 1-3 inch soaker would be nice though.

Understood and thanks for the response. I know that we aren't going to see anything other than a perhaps a good rain and a light breeze from a gulf hurricane. A good 1-3 inch soaker would be nice though.

I figured you would know, but put that disclaimer in there fro general reading purposes. Many may think of Lee last year, where he spent forever over the TN valley and still gave the area copious rains. The setup is different this time, and your amounts seem reasonable to me.

Archived