• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2012 Tropical Atlantic Observations And Discussions

NEG NAO

I truthfully wonder what the chances are of a major hurricane making it up this way. So hard to speculate what might actually happen especially since we don't even have a named system yet, but the setup does appear favorable for a late curving TC sometime around the one year anniversary of Irene. The perfect combination of a deep trough to the west and blocking to the NE could be just what we need to get the job done, especially if the system becomes caught up in the jet stream. This could help to not only speed up TC which would minimize weakening but it could help to enhance the intensity as it begins post-tropical transition. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks. FWIW, the 12z ECMWF has the system taking a sharp turn to the WNW north of Puerto Rico at hr 240. At the same time you have high pressure anchored over the northeast and nothing in the way of land interaction to worry about.

post-2786-0-66087100-1345231010_thumb.gi

post-2786-0-18917700-1345231029_thumb.gi

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHC has the area west of the Cape Verdes at a 40 % chance of development - this area will probably develop the i storm called Isaac - as mentioned in the posts above this has a chance of making it this far west - this summer has been very similar to last summer so far Hot Dry July and August is getting wetter as the month has progressed - and we have had the exact number of named storms to date as last year will this be another i named storm that threatens the east coast ? Will be spooky if Isaac develops on the same date as Irene August 20

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

History of Irene

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/2011H/IRENE/track.gif

Yeah, looks like a potent hurricane riding up the eastern seaboard on the 12z GFS. Pretty strong similarities with Irene's track and the track on the 12z GFS. Even though it is very far out still, this certainly needs to be watched.

What are the chances of a storm similar to Irene hitting almost exactly 1 year to the day taking a very similar track ? But this summer has been almost a carbon copy in this area of last summer Hot July - just about the same number of 90 degree days so far as last year - August has had increased precip - and have had exactly the same number of named tropical storms and this would be the i storm Isaac.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/12zgfs850mbTSLPp12324.gif

What are the chances of a storm similar to Irene hitting almost exactly 1 year to the day taking a very similar track ? But this summer has been almost a carbon copy in this area of last summer Hot July - just about the same number of 90 degree days so far as last year - August has had increased precip - and have had exactly the same number of named tropical storms and this would be the i storm Isaac.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/12zgfs850mbTSLPp12324.gif

Should also be noted that the GFS at truncation tends to underestimate the storm's minimum SLP with it's low resolution quality as Riptide said earlier.

While the Euro and GFS differ on the intensity, their tracks are very close through 120 hrs

taking Isaac into the Caribbean near 15N/60W. Where it actually enters the Caribbean

will determine what type of interaction there is with either Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, or Cuba.

I know im no expert with tropical systems/patterns but odds are heavily against this happening again 1 year after we got impacted with a previous tropical cyclone.

This logic is really flawed. In general, it is ALWAYS unlikely that a tropical cyclone will impact our area. However, having experienced one a year earlier has ZERO actual impact on future events. Past performance is not indicitive of future results. Meaning, our odds of being impacted by a hurricane (in general) the day before Irene hit are essentially identical to our odds right now.

Take a look at Hurricane Charley in '86. Just one year after Gloria and took almost the same track. It did curve NE off Delaware but came dangerously close to hitting LI again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley_(1986)

I know im no expert with tropical systems/patterns but odds are heavily against this happening again 1 year after we got impacted with a previous tropical cyclone. I hope we dont because last year i was out of power for 7 days and no AC! It was awful never in my life do i wanna experience that again.

Right, if we use that logic we would have never had all the big snowstorms since 2000 since we had more than our fair share compared to the 80s. I realize there is a certain mentality that we're 'overdue' for a storm if a decade goes by without one but in reality it's not true. Especially when we only have roughly 100 years worth of climate data at our disposal.

This logic is really flawed. In general, it is ALWAYS unlikely that a tropical cyclone will impact our area. However, having experienced one a year earlier has ZERO actual impact on future events. Past performance is not indicitive of future results. Meaning, our odds of being impacted by a hurricane (in general) the day before Irene hit are essentially identical to our odds right now.

I know im no expert with tropical systems/patterns but odds are heavily against this happening again 1 year after we got impacted with a previous tropical cyclone. I hope we dont because last year i was out of power for 7 days and no AC! It was awful never in my life do i wanna experience that again.

New York has only be hit 2 years in a row by a tropical system twice 1893-1894, and 1960-1961

http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/newyork.html

Take a look at Hurricane Charley in '86. Just one year after Gloria and took almost the same track. It did curve NE off Delaware but came dangerously close to hitting LI again.

http://en.wikipedia....e_Charley_(1986)

I remember Charley. We got really lucky with Gloria in Long Beach as she hit two hours from low tide.

Irene arrived right at high tide but she was weak enough by the time she got here to only equal the

actual tide level of Gloria.Gloria's surge was 8.5 feet close to low tide while the surge with Irene

was only 4.5 feet. The flooding results of both storms were the same for us in Long Beach.

Both Euro and GFS has this storm - if this storm continues showing up on the models and actually develops into a tropical storm by the middle of next week we are going to see the mainstream media covering this earlier then normal because of the 1 year anniversary of Irene approaching on the 27th and 28th - especially if the models continue the track towards the east coast .

Both Euro and GFS has this storm - if this storm continues showing up on the models and actually develops into a tropical storm by the middle of next week we are going to see the mainstream media covering this earlier then normal because of the 1 year anniversary of Irene approaching on the 27th and 28th - especially if the models continue the track towards the east coast .

It will be interesting to see how things play out. The Euro ensemble mean tracks Isaac to near 15n/60w

in 120 hours. While there is more spread by 240 hrs, it should near the SE coast but the strength is

contingent on what type of land interaction there is in the Caribbean first. Obviously the more interaction

the weaker and the less the stronger.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. The Euro ensemble mean tracks Isaac to near 15n/60w

in 120 hours. While there is more spread by 240 hrs, it should near the SE coast but the strength is

contingent on what type of land interaction there is in the Caribbean first. Obviously the more interaction

the weaker and the less the stronger.

I find it interesting that a smoothed out mean is more defined with the system (you can see it with the isobars) and has a slightly lower pressure, even though it is a smoothed out mean. It could mean that the ECMWF may be underdoing the intensity of the system. Should be interesting to see the input of the 18z HWRF and GFDL.

I find it interesting that a smoothed out mean is more defined with the system (you can see it with the isobars) and has a slightly lower pressure, even though it is a smoothed out mean. It could mean that the ECMWF may be underdoing the intensity of the system. Should be interesting to see the input of the 18z HWRF and GFDL.

Yeah, it looks like it's between the GFS and Euro OP for an intensity signal.

Archived