Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

My point exactly :)

So we can safely say those who went through this will never go though it again? I mean that would make it a once in a generative event, no?

So I will never experience it again?

It's semantics, but "generation" is usually meant to refer to a ~25 year period. If Trixie's stats are correct, then this would seem to apply to that timeframe.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point exactly :)

So we can safely say those who went through this will never go though it again? I mean that would make it a once in a generative event, no?

So I will never experience it again?

You may or may not, but let me phrase it another way. A greater proportion of the Washington/Baltimore metropolitan region actually saw with their own eyes wind gusts higher than 60 mph in this single event than in any other single event since 1954.

So while we may individually see stronger winds at some point,for the region as a whole, this is once-in-a-generation type winds.

out here it's the city that cleans up the debris. we've already been told to just leave all of the downed branches curbside and that the city will get to them when it can.

neither the city nor the fire department here can handle the hundreds of trees down so we have assistance in from other states to take down trees and clear away that debris.

Last year, due to all the weather, (Tornado, Hurricane Irene and the major flooding) My local volunteer Fire Co handled several hundred non-Emergency incidents storm related. They would just go down the street from one end to the next cutting trees to get the roadways open. Putting the wood on the curbs.

I wish everyone well who has been affected

Does June 2008 count as a derecho or was that just a squall line?  Wind wise, that was must worse up here than this past Fri night.  Around 70 mph in Frederick and 90 mph gust in Washington County.

That was about 2 weeks after I moved to MD and I was living in MontCo at the time, so I couldn't really say. I found this, "By definition, if the wind damage swath extends more than 240 miles (about 400 kilometers) and includes wind gusts of at least 58 mph (93 km/h) or greater along most of its length, then the event may be classified as a derecho."

:lol: That just isn't as sexy of a term

Fair enough - but its really silly, regardless of "once in a generation = 20 years" (thanks Trixie)

Just another thing to make the whole situation more over dramatic than it needs to be, much like CWG looking to name it. SMH

That was about 2 weeks after I moved to MD and I was living in MontCo at the time, so I couldn't really say. I found this, "By definition, if the wind damage swath extends more than 240 miles (about 400 kilometers) and includes wind gusts of at least 58 mph (93 km/h) or greater along most of its length, then the event may be classified as a derecho."

june 08 was probably right on the cusp. i think technically it had wind reports along a long enough track to call it a derecho. but in north/south coverage it was much smaller and it maxed out east of the Apps.

Fair enough - but its really silly, regardless of "once in a generation = 20 years" (thanks Trixie)

Just another thing to make the whole situation more over dramatic than it needs to be, much like CWG looking to name it. SMH

I suppose I don't post enough on here, so people don't know what I'm like. Trust me-- I wasn't trying to be dramatic. It's not about drama, it's about realizing how amazing from a weather stats-perspective the event actually was. Like not about doom or headlines- we had one event go by that managed to give most of the population a taste of *real* severe thunderstrom criteria. That's awe-inspiring.

ETA: especially since the other biggies like Isabel, etc., really were lame in the wind department for much of the region. Isabel couldn't even get a 50 mph gust to IAD.

I suppose I don't post enough on here, so people don't know what I'm like. Trust me-- I wasn't trying to be dramatic. It's not about drama, it's about realizing how amazing from a weather stats-perspective the event actually was. Like not about doom or headlines- we had one event go by that managed to give most of the population a taste of *real* severe thunderstrom criteria. That's awe-inspiring.

So all previous severe thunderstorms that hit criteria weren't real?

i dont know enough about derecho history but the one people have pointed to is the more trees down derecho of 1980. that track looked similar tho from what i see it wasnt as bad locally?

while we'll surely see another derecho before terribly long this one is likely going to be hard to top for decades--or it should be statistically.

I suppose I don't post enough on here, so people don't know what I'm like. Trust me-- I wasn't trying to be dramatic. It's not about drama, it's about realizing how amazing from a weather stats-perspective the event actually was.  Like not about doom or headlines- we had one event go by that managed to give most of the population a taste of *real* severe thunderstrom criteria. That's awe-inspiring.

I wasn't accusing you of being dramatic, sorry if it read that way. My point was that the terms "once-in-a-generation event" and "once-in-20-year event" mean the same thing, but one just sounds much more dramatic.

I think this is one of those "where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit." for me it was easily the 2nd worst thunderstorm I have ever been through, including one with tornado on the ground visible out my kitchen window in Minneapolis (which wasn't the worst), not just in terms of the damage, but in terms of the ferocity and duration of the peak of the storm.

I can understand that - I'm not saying this event wasn't serious - obviously it was. I guess to me, once in a generation seems a little exaggerated. Then again, I didn't get the actual derecho portion of the storms Friday night, so maybe I'm just being biased.

it's the most widespread damage I've seen in over 20 years in this area. in terms of damage it's way worse than June 4, 2008.

June 5, 1987 or 1988? (June 17?) was significant right in DC from what I remember from my then boss in Boston's account of being down here in it, but I am not sure how widespread that was.

this was the most violent thunderstorm I can remember here, and it compares with all time worst storm I remember as a kid in the 1970s in CT where we had a similar situation--heavy rain, violent winds, tremendous c-g lightning, and extensive damage.

87/88(even I can't remember exactly) was the scariest one I can remember. This one was bad but I wasn't nearly as scared. The damage from that one was worse from an IMBY recollection and for the area. DC and MoCo were hit hard as well.

Increase in populations will always set new records as far as number of people affected.

Coming out and naming stuff or using cliches to describe an event always makes me laugh. This was a significant wind storm. If the next storm system to hit knocks out power to just one more person than this one will that make it "the mother of all generational storms"?

? You're still focused on what an individual experiences. I'm focused on overall impact and recorded data. Is it ok that we just don't agree?

Sure, of course. But saying things like this was a "real" severe thunderstorm is being over dramatic.

That is like saying Hurricane Hazel was the only "real" hurricane to hit Maryland, when we know that isn't true.

Sure, of course. But saying things like this was a "real" severe thunderstorm is being over dramatic.

That is like saying Hurricane Hazel was the only "real" hurricane to hit Maryland, when we know that isn't true.

No no, you completely misunderstood me. I meant actual STW-criteria wind gusts-- real as in "verifies a ST warning at their own location"

out here it's the city that cleans up the debris. we've already been told to just leave all of the downed branches curbside and that the city will get to them when it can.

neither the city nor the fire department here can handle the hundreds of trees down so we have assistance in from other states to take down trees and clear away that debris.

thats why the governor should declare a state of emergency and have the natl guard out there cleaning things up then.

No no, you completely misunderstood me. I meant actual STW-criteria wind gusts-- real as in "verifies a ST warning at their own location"

No, no I didn't. I understood you completely. It was the first real taste people got of a severe thunderstorm criteria... Forget all those other times severe thunderstorm warnings came true

And again, I used the term first in a post to say "give the power companies a break." What they have to clean up from is not any sort of once-a-year or once-every- five year type of thunderstorm, even compared the summer 2010 ones.

I'm not criticizing the power companies. I know they have their hands full on this one. What I get put on tilt about it John Q Public not understanding how significant this event was and thinking it should all get fixed in 12 hours.

And again, I used the term first in a post to say "give the power companies a break." What they have to clean up from is not any sort of once-a-year or once-every- five year type of thunderstorm, even compared the summer 2010 ones.

And yet I have not seen a National Guard truck anywhere to be seen to help out in the state of emergency. Im not saying that is the power companies fault either. Im just sayin. The guard should be out there cleaning up debris while the utility companies can focus on substations and wires.

Archived