• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

I am posting some GRLevel3 radar pictures of significant storm cells on Thursday (6/7), This includes the Ramah Colorado tornado, and two pictures of hailstorms/supecells that were closer to Fort Collins. I got the data from NOAA after it was all done.

post-1182-0-17230900-1339611083_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-19278900-1339611085_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-02763300-1339611087_thumb.pn

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM and GFS seem to indicate some rain in our area tomorrow. They both say a CAPE over 1000 J/kg. The NAM shows CAPEs of 2000 J/kg almost from I-25 eastward to Kansas tomorrow, with 85/60 over near Kansas. That sounds encouraging. I think the shear will be 20-30 knots, so it may be a borderline situation for severe storms. For the sake of all of us, I hope a storm occurs over the fire, and dumps rain, way more rain than lightning.

Today, it is getting to the upper 90's in some areas, and it is 92 in Fort Collins. When I went out and drove around town, there was thick smoke and haze again. Visibility was 1-2 miles in the haze. The sunshine looked orange. I can see that part of a large CSU parking lot is used for parking fire engines, equipment trucks, and police cars.

I hiked up Mt. Audubon today and saw as the ash cloud rise up once again. I'd say by 9-10am it was visible on the divide.

On a related note, the NWS busted fairly badly for high country winds this morning! We were expecting 30mph winds around 12000ft and we hit that as soon as we broke through the treeline at sub-11000ft. Needless to say, the peak was breezy,

Looks like there's a new fire in the Lake George region. Last I heard it was only about 5 acres, but growing quickly.

growing very fast and evacs going out now..I thought i heard 1000 acreas now on the scanner..smoke plume visible on Sat., also smoke plume is back from the high park fire more north today

post-142-0-17446900-1339976048_thumb.gif

It could be up to 107 in Nebraska today, and 90+ from Ohio to the Rocky Mountains.

check out this observation from FTG (Front Range Airport) at the time of that funnel cloud/tornado the 15th

KFTG 152110Z 20014G25KT 20SM +FC -TSRAGR BKN025 BKN075 19/08 A3005 RMK +FC 2E MOV E +FCB05 FREQ LTGCG TS OHD MOV E GR 1/4IN

100 at KDEN is the hottest day since we moved here in August 2010. And the T/TD spread is impressive too, it was 98/14 at 2 this afternoon. Wow!

And it's looking like round 2 this coming weekend. Ugh.. this could be an awesome summer for a lot of reasons. The monsoon better deliver.

This is absolutely miserable. Currently living in a place that doesn't have AC. I can handle the occasional really hot day, but this pattern that seems to want to give us near-record highs once (or twice) a week has got to stop.

Long range does not look encouraging.

wow, 57 IMBY for a low this AM- we are next to a low spot near open space.

I was thinking this morning that we should find a local climatologist to talk about record hot springs/summers and see if we are on track for one (ick).

On my way to DC for a meeting tomorrow-Friday- will miss the brief cooldown, experience the Bermuda soup, and return just intime for another blast furnace. :axe:

wow, 57 IMBY for a low this AM- we are next to a low spot near open space.

I was thinking this morning that we should find a local climatologist to talk about record hot springs/summers and see if we are on track for one (ick).

On my way to DC for a meeting tomorrow-Friday- will miss the brief cooldown, experience the Bermuda soup, and return just intime for another blast furnace. :axe:

It's too early to tell for the summer as a whole, but we are definitely on track for one of the hottest Junes ever.

Although there is a lot of variability, brutally hot summers have definitely been a lot more common in CO since 2000:

post-378-0-17537700-1340139052_thumb.png

It's too early to tell for the summer as a whole, but we are definitely on track for one of the hottest Junes ever.

Although there is a lot of variability, brutally hot summers have definitely been a lot more common in CO since 2000:

Very cool... er, warm...

I work in healthcare and do some QI work, and looking at that graph it appears it would qualify for "special cause variation" with a new baseline since 2000 that should be looked into. Unfortunately, unlike my line of work, not much can be done short-term!

I'm surprised at how warm Denver has been. As far as I know most of Montana is right at average for June.

Still chilly up here at 8000 feet, been stuck in the 50's all day. Ready for 70's tomorrow!

Yeah, there have been some pretty potent troughs making their way into the Pac NW this month. Many of these seem to have made their way into MT, clipped WY, but completely missed CO unfortunately.

This is what happened this afternoon at Boulder Municipal Airport (and indeed across the Front Range):

1PM - 90

2PM - 90

3PM - 91

4PM - 93

5PM - 99

That should not happen!! I figured we'd escape the heat today, especially after NWS bumped our high from 97 to 92. Woops!

Great shot, COSciFan.

Someone fired up the furnace today over the High Plains. Fairly surprising numbers for such high-elevation spots as Lamar (108 F), La Junta (107 F), and Sterling (106 F). Most of eastern CO (including the I-25 corridor) has eclipsed the century mark.

Obs like 100/7 can't be putting a smile on the face of firefighters...

post-972-0-49584100-1340486166_thumb.gif

Archived