Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLIMATE REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOULDER, CO

649 AM MDT SUN JUL 1 2012

...JUNE 2012...HOTTEST JUNE ON RECORD...

JUNE 2012 WAS THE HOTTEST JUNE IN DENVER SINCE WEATHER RECORDS BEGAN

BACK IN 1872. THE MONTH GOT OFF TO A WARM START WITH ABOVE NORMAL

TEMPERATURES DURING THE FIRST 9 DAYS OF THE MONTH. RECORD MAXIMUM

TEMPERATURES WERE SET AND TIED ON THE 4TH AND 9TH RESPECTIVELY. AN

UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WHICH MOVED ACROSS THE NORTHERN

AND CENTRAL ROCKIES BROUGHT COOLER TEMPERATURES TO THE REGION...

RESULTING IN BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES ON THE 10TH AND 11TH. UPPER

LEVEL HIGH PRESSURE THEN REESTABLISHED OVER THE REGION BRINGING

ANOTHER STRETCH OF ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES FROM THE 12TH THROUGH

THE 19TH. RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES WERE SET BOTH ON THE 17TH AND

18TH. AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE AND ASSOCIATED COLD

FRONT BROUGHT SOME RELIEF TO COLORADO ON THE 20TH. THE HIGH

TEMPERATURE ON THE 20TH WAS A PLEASANT 76 DEGREES...WHICH WAS EIGHT

DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. MUCH ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES RETURNED TO

DENVER THE FINAL 10 DAYS OF THE MONTH AS A STRONG UPPER RIDGE OF

HIGH PRESSURE BUILT OVER THE DESERT SOUTHWEST AND MIGRATED INTO THE

CENTRAL PLAINS STATES. A STRETCH OF 5 CONSECUTIVE 100 DEGREE DAYS

OCCURRED FROM THE 22ND THROUGH THE 26TH. THIS WAS ONLY THE THIRD

TIME IN DENVER WEATHER HISTORY IN WHICH THIS HAS HAPPENED. THE OTHER

OCCURRENCES WERE JULY 4TH-8TH 1989 AND JULY 19TH-23RD 2005. IN

ADDITION...EACH OF THE 5 DAYS SET NEW RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES. THE

105 DEGREE READINGS ON THE 25TH AND 26TH ESTABLISHED A NEW ALL TIME

RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE AND TIED DENVER'S

ALL TIME ANNUAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE.

TEMPERATURES:

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH WAS 75.0 DEGREES WHICH WAS 7.6

DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL. THIS MAKES JUNE OF 2012 THE HOTTEST JUNE

ON RECORD. THERE WERE 17 DAYS IN WHICH THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE

EXCEEDED 90 DEGREES. THIS TIES 2002 FOR THE SECOND MOST 90 DEGREE

DAYS IN JUNE. JUNE OF 2006 STILL HOLDS THE RECORD WITH NINETEEN 90

DEGREE DAYS. THERE WERE ALSO SIX DAYS IN WHICH THE TEMPERATURE

REACHED THE CENTURY MARK. THIS IS A NEW RECORD FOR 100 DEGREE DAYS

IN THE MONTH OF JUNE. THE OLD RECORD WAS 3 DAYS BACK IN JUNE OF

1990. THE COLDEST TEMPERATURE ON THE MONTH WAS 43 DEGREES WHICH

OCCURRED ON THE MORNING OF THE 11TH. BELOW IS LIST OF TEMPERATURE

RECORDS TIED OR BROKEN DURING THE MONTH.

JUNE 2012 TEMPERATURE RECORDS:

MONTHLY RECORDS:

JUNE 2012 WAS HOTTEST ON RECORD (AVERAGE TEMPERATURE WAS 75.0 DEGREES)

PREVIOUS RECORD WAS JUNE 1994 (AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 73.5 DEGREES)

JUNE 22ND-26TH 5 CONSECUTIVE DAYS MAX TEMPERATURE REACHED 100 DEGREES

OTHER OCCURRENCES (JULY 4TH-8TH 1989) (JULY 19TH-23RD 2005)

JUNE 25TH AND 26TH SET ALL TIME JUNE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE 105 DEGREES

(PREVIOUS RECORD 104 DEGREES IN 1994)

DAILY RECORDS:

DATE TEMPERATURE TYPE OF RECORD OLD RECORD YEAR(S) SET

JUNE 4TH 94 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 93 DEGREES 1946, 1977

1990, 2010

JUNE 9TH 95 DEGREES TIED RECORD MAX 95 DEGREES 1922, 2002

JUNE 17TH 98 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 97 DEGREES 2007

JUNE 18TH 100 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 99 DEGREES 1936, 1990

JUNE 22ND 102 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 98 DEGREES 1874

JUNE 23RD 104 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 102 DEGREES 1954

JUNE 24TH 102 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 100 DEGREES 2007

JUNE 25TH 105 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 100 DEGREES 1991

JUNE 26TH 105 DEGREES NEW RECORD MAX 104 DEGREES 1994

JUNE 26TH 71 DEGREES NEW RECORD HI MIN 68 DEGREES 1936 PREVIOUS YEARS

I am going to have to see it to believe it. The models do show higher moisture and chances for thunder soon. Actually precip chances look good this week and seem to show a "dirty" ridge in the medium range. Typically precipitation maxes out between July 20 and August 5. We get about 15 days worth of monsoon and flash flood potential. Things change every year though. It is not as predictable as the true North American Monsoon.

TEMPERATURES:

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH WAS 75.0 DEGREES WHICH WAS 7.6

DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL. THIS MAKES JUNE OF 2012 THE HOTTEST JUNE

ON RECORD.

Fort Collins had the warmest June on record, with 6.2 degrees above normal. There was 0.61" of rain. My house got considerably less rain, around 0.2" to 0.4".

Fort Collins broke high temperature records on June 22, 24, 25, and 26. We had 100, 101, and 102 degree days on June 23-25.

Evaporation was much above average.

Something may have been a little off with that 0.61" rain total. This picture is a plot from the weighing-bucket rain gauge. This rain gauge saves information on the computer and you can plot it on the internet. It looks like it is 0.32 or 0.33". The official total of 0.61" is from the human observers using the 8" standard rain gauge. I don't know why they would be much different. It's not like snow was sitting on top of the rain gauge or something.

post-1182-0-20944700-1341355758_thumb.pn

Fort Collins had the warmest June on record, with 6.2 degrees above normal. There was 0.61" of rain. My house got considerably less rain, around 0.2" to 0.4".

Fort Collins broke high temperature records on June 22, 24, 25, and 26. We had 100, 101, and 102 degree days on June 23-25.

Evaporation was much above average.

Something may have been a little off with that 0.61" rain total. This picture is a plot from the weighing-bucket rain gauge. This rain gauge saves information on the computer and you can plot it on the internet. It looks like it is 0.32 or 0.33". The official total of 0.61" is from the human observers using the 8" standard rain gauge. I don't know why they would be much different. It's not like snow was sitting on top of the rain gauge or something.

Hmm, yeah, that is a little suspicious.

I am going to have to see it to believe it. The models do show higher moisture and chances for thunder soon. Actually precip chances look good this week and seem to show a "dirty" ridge in the medium range. Typically precipitation maxes out between July 20 and August 5. We get about 15 days worth of monsoon and flash flood potential. Things change every year though. It is not as predictable as the true North American Monsoon.

Looks like a fairly decent setup for summertime precip. Low-level easterly flow should help the foothills cash in.

I already had 0.94" in an hour and a half (3:30-5:00). It's about to rain again. There was a mudslide at Hewlett Gulch, possibly hitting Highway 14. This is the heaviest rain I have seen since 2011. This is 1/3 as much rain as we have had all year (1 vs. 3.3).

FTG radar says that Fort Collins has gotten 0.3" to 2.10".

I estimate 1.16" here at my place. Fort Collins-CSU had 0.76" as of 8:00 and we have gotten some more (0.10") since then, so maybe 0.86" for Fort Collins-CSU. Mesonet stations have 0.20 to 0.65". That's a large range. I guess we will see more detail on precipitation when we can look at the CoCoRAHS map tomorrow.

It has been so dry that there hasn't been more than 1" of rain for a storm total since September or October. We got about 1" of liquid equivalent from snow on maybe 3 occasions.

I am seeing a little bit of lightning in the distance.

Is this crazy outflow I'm seeing on the radar moving out from Pueblo and Colorado Springs? Taken today, 4:30pm local time. More lines like this were visible on the WunderMap from the storms east of Denver.

Yup, outflow from storms around here can easily go 50 miles or more without anything to stop it. Before things got wet the past few days, we'd often have a period in the early evening where it would go from calm and hot to a little cloudy, 10 drops of rain, and 40 MPH gusts for a few minutes as a boundary passed. A few weeks ago I was in a plane flying into DIA and during final approach the wind went from a 5-10 knot headwind to a 20 knot tailwind. Fun. Good thing I wasn't flying the plane!

Most of Fort Collins got about 0.8" yesterday. It was moderately heavy for a long time. I think my place got 1.16" and 0.56" on the last two days (total: 1.72"). Areas around here are above and below that 1.72" for the last two days. (2.19" at Fort Collins CSU for July so far.)

Yup, outflow from storms around here can easily go 50 miles or more without anything to stop it. Before things got wet the past few days, we'd often have a period in the early evening where it would go from calm and hot to a little cloudy, 10 drops of rain, and 40 MPH gusts for a few minutes as a boundary passed. A few weeks ago I was in a plane flying into DIA and during final approach the wind went from a 5-10 knot headwind to a 20 knot tailwind. Fun. Good thing I wasn't flying the plane!

From BWI by any chance? Was on a flight into DEN that was diverted to Colorado Springs after 3 or 4 landing attempts. Pilot aborted the first landing attempt with less than a minute to go. Flaps were fully extended, unsure if the gear was down. Made a hard bank right to abort, before we hit bad turbulence. I assume there was a downburst in the landing path. Don't know if it was the pilot or the tower that called it off, but may have saved lives by doing so.

Fort Collins CSU

6/22: 97

6/23: 100

6/24: 101

6/25: 102

6/26: 98

6/27: 94

6/28: 93

6/29: 96

6/30: 94

7/1 98

7/2: 95

7/3: 94

7/4: 96

7/5: 92, 0.04" of rain

7/6: 85, 0.76" of rain

The heat wave ended on 7/6. There were 14 straight days of 90 or higher.

Looks like northern Arizona, Utah, eastern Nevada have around a 70% chance of thunderstorms. I think a lot of that area will get over 0.2" in the next two days. The HRRR shows considerable night-time rain for Utah. Hopefully the moisture spills over from the western Rockies to my area.

Archived