• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Past storm talk thread

TheTrials

the December 1995 storm is a good one to bring up. Not sure how many remember the forecasts before that storm, but the forecasts were very prolific. I believe both Boston and NYC were under the rare "Blizzard Watch" (not warning) like 36 hours before it. They were talking 2 feet of snow.

But as Trials already mentioned, the phase wasn't very clean and didn't quite get its act together in time....so it ended up being just a solid Nor' Easter rather than a monster to remember for decades to come. They did downgrade the forecasts a bit in the final 12-24 hours before the storm, but were still a bit too bullish IIRC. Still a nice storm and ensured much of the I-95 corridor north of DC a White Christmas.

Truth.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the LE and snow growth do not support 30 inches no matter how good those bands looked.

Silly post. Just look at the official data set. NWS totals, rays archives, wherever you want. The totals are official. It doesn't matter how you might feel based on what happened in your specific location. 32 inches in Rahway, 29 in lyndhurst, 25 in kings county brooklyn..the list goes on and on there were several upper 20's totals and a great majority of them were in the SW to NE oriented deformation band that sat there for 5 hours without moving. It's not far fetched, really.

That was the highest snowfall total here, ever, and the winds were tremendous...as was the impact. There is no argument otherwise and there is hard, official data to back it up.

kdixloop2356zdec26.gif

Ag3 said he only measured 16....i understand it was windy.

.yet u have cabs burieds in snow...city shut down for days and gsp looking like lake shore drive...yet it was okay...u have to be kidding me..best storm of my life..parts of my area got over 30..the images from that storm will never be duplicated in my mind and something 96 never produced

This is a tiresome argument...but i feel people just base it off that over 2 feet did not fall in there back yards...in reality it was a true blizzard...people were snowed in for days ...if school was not out for winter break, most distircts would have had days off....most school systems could not handle that much snow

Ag3 said he only measured 16....i understand it was windy.

.yet u have cabs burieds in snow...city shut down for days and gsp looking like lake shore drive...yet it was okay...u have to be kidding me..best storm of my life..parts of my area got over 30..the images from that storm will never be duplicated in my mind and something 96 never produced

All I said it was difficult to measure. Queens missed out on the mega band that nailed Jersey.

Awesome storm though, regardless. For Queens, Jan. 26-27, 2011 was king in that winter.

Not arguing the mega totals in Jersey.

Impact wise, because of wind and Bloomberg, Dec. 26 was much worse. But in terms of actual snow totals and intensity of snow, Jan. 26 rules in Queens. That's all. Parts of Queens and Nasaau County saw 4"-6" an hour during Jan. 26 and I counted 12 lightning and thunder strikes during the height.

1996 dropped 25"-30"+ over parts of Queens, Nassau County and a lot of Jersey. And also over a huge area of the east coast. The true king of the east coast and never matched yet.

Silly post. Just look at the official data set. NWS totals, rays archives, wherever you want. The totals are official. It doesn't matter how you might feel based on what happened in your specific location. 32 inches in Rahway, 29 in lyndhurst, 25 in kings county brooklyn..the list goes on and on there were several upper 20's totals and a great majority of them were in the SW to NE oriented deformation band that sat there for 5 hours without moving. It's not far fetched, really.

That was the highest snowfall total here, ever, and the winds were tremendous...as was the impact. There is no argument otherwise and there is hard, official data to back it up.

kdixloop2356zdec26.gif

31.8 here in Elizabeth too. I am a very fair measurer. In the "snowicane" I was under everyone's totals. I measure what I see. You don't "take liquid equivalent" into consideration. If that were how to measure snow, we wouldn't need people to go outside and measure in the first place.

This is a tiresome argument...but i feel people just base it off that over 2 feet did not fall in there back yards...in reality it was a true blizzard...people were snowed in for days ...if school was not out for winter break, most distircts would have had days off....most school systems could not handle that much snow

The holiday, the wind and drifts and lack pf planning caused the chaos, not the amount of snow. The city can handle two feet, give or take (probably take). It handled 96, PDII, 1/27, and countless other storms with no problem because they didn't shrug those storms off, they shrugged this one off andand they were ill-prepared for impacts of the wind and the drifting.

The holiday, the wind and drifts and lack pf planning caused the chaos, not the amount of snow. The city can handle two feet, give or take (probably take). It handled 96, PDII, 1/27, and countless other storms with no problem because they didn't shrug those storms off, they shrugged this one off andand they were ill-prepared for impacts of the wind and the drifting.

plus, there are still serious questions about the department of sanitation and what they were doing that day with the plows up, sleeping on the job, sitting idle in trucks, etc.

Dry punch between 600 and 700mb killed any chance at a more significant accumulation in the area. Once the deform came back through we just didn't have enough dynamics to stick at 34 degrees.

NWS issued a winter storm warning for our area for 6-10 inches lol

NWS issued a winter storm warning for our area for 6-10 inches lol

the NAM had the dry slot on several runs but backed off on the extent of the push northward at the end. Turns out it was pretty agressive and absolutely destroyed the column and the chances for more snow.

For those with a moment -- I just uploaded some files from Dec 26 2010 which I thought were lost on an old server. Long story short, I found them...and uploaded them to the new website.

You can browse model images, satellite, radar, forecasts/etc from the days leading up to the Dec 26 2010 blizzard. Some of them are poorly named and it's a generally unorganized directory. But browse away!

http://www.nymetroweather.com/dec262010/

For those with a moment -- I just uploaded some files from Dec 26 2010 which I thought were lost on an old server. Long story short, I found them...and uploaded them to the new website.

You can browse model images, satellite, radar, forecasts/etc from the days leading up to the Dec 26 2010 blizzard. Some of them are poorly named and it's a generally unorganized directory. But browse away!

http://www.nymetrowe....com/dec262010/

Awesome job.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nymetrowe....com/dec262010/

I wish I could see this again:

post-7634-0-99820400-1341003524_thumb.pn

Archived