Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Past storm talk thread

TheTrials

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably 2 feet of heavy wet paste with 70 mph winds and total destruction with the weight of the snow on things.

Too bad it camera in March, it would have been awesome if it came in January with temperatures in the low teens. It would have been better than 1996 with both snow amounts and in wind speed.

Too bad it camera in March, it would have been awesome if it came in January with temperatures in the low teens. It would have been better than 1996 with both snow amounts and in wind speed.

it was very much a banded storm, so i dont know about beating 96, 96 had a lot of over running before the bands kicked in

wind wise, yes, but winds dont do it for me in a snow storm.

often over looked but killer setup, 12/18/95. Got 15 inches in orange county NY, two part system.

Check out the epo ridge along with the greenland block. Also this storm had a classic pv phase where the 50/50 became elongated and phased back into the mean trough. Delicious. Northern part of LI got smoked in that one by a couple really great deform bands that sat over them. I also remember the first part of the storm whimped out a little from the WAA and everyone started to think it was going to bust but the second part was truly kick ass.

a476f4.gif

121912.png

Another thing about that storm to note is that had the phase been a little cleaner and the 500 low closed off and more developed, it would have been like 1/96. 500 never quite got its act together contrary to 96 where the 500 low was well defined and closed off for a long time.

12/26 was the most perfect phase i have seen on any map. 96' and 93' were also monsters. From around earthlights location in scotch plains to my area was the jackpot where the banding just kept on coming. Earthlight and analog got atleast 30" and my area got around 25".

122621.png

12/26 was the most perfect phase i have seen on any map. 96' and 93' were also monsters. From around earthlights location in scotch plains to my area was the jackpot where the banding just kept on coming. Earthlight and analog got atleast 30" and my area got around 25".

the LE and snow growth do not support 30 inches no matter how good those bands looked. Even the discos from that date state how the wind below the snow growth was a deterent to higher LE's and at most it was 12-1 per upton's own words.

Additionally, there was no way to accurately measure, LE is the only way to go.

the LE and snow growth do not support 30 inches no matter how good those bands looked. Even the discos from that date state how the wind below the snow growth was a deterent to higher LE's and at most it was 12-1 per upton's own words.

Additionally, there was no way to accurately measure, LE is the only way to go.

I saw what i saw. An 18" snowstorm is not enough to bury cars

I saw what i saw. An 18" snowstorm is not enough to bury cars

Cars were buried in Astoria and I took an accurate measurement of around 16" and another spotter had the same measurement in Woodside. Cars were buried on my street. But I'm not going to measure the snow right next to a drift and report 25".

Check out a picture on my street. Absolutely buried cars and had an easy 25"-30" on the entire street. But I measured as fair as possible and took into account the liquid equivalent and reported around 16". Matches LGA and Woodside spotter perfectly.

74a4a62a.jpg

Cars were buried in Astoria and I took an accurate measurement of around 16" and another spotter had the same measurement in Woodside. Cars were buried on my street. But I'm not going to measure the snow right next to a drift and report 25".

Check out a picture on my street. Absolutely buried cars and had an easy 25"-30" on the entire street. But I measured as fair as possible and took into account the liquid equivalent and reported around 16". Matches LGA and Woodside spotter perfectly.

74a4a62a.jpg

I look at this pic and I think of Bloomberg saying on tv that it just another regular day in NYC. "Come see a Broadway show." lol

the December 1995 storm is a good one to bring up. Not sure how many remember the forecasts before that storm, but the forecasts were very prolific. I believe both Boston and NYC were under the rare "Blizzard Watch" (not warning) like 36 hours before it. They were talking 2 feet of snow.

But as Trials already mentioned, the phase wasn't very clean and didn't quite get its act together in time....so it ended up being just a solid Nor' Easter rather than a monster to remember for decades to come. They did downgrade the forecasts a bit in the final 12-24 hours before the storm, but were still a bit too bullish IIRC. Still a nice storm and ensured much of the I-95 corridor north of DC a White Christmas.

Archived