Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Past storm talk thread

TheTrials

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should post 500mb height anomaly maps if you really want to pin down -NAO blocking versus no blocking...what you get is thia for 1/27/11...far from ideal positioning for a slow-moving all snow event along I-95

compday.97.107.174.50.151.13.6.8.gif

the regular plots show the same thing with the blocking more east based than anything else, but you are correct, anomoly maps would point it out better, feel free to throw them up

Trials, do you have a 500mb map for '78 and '93?

here is 93, not that good, in fact, i am pretty sure the NAO maps and values were positive for this storm as well. Given its super fast movement and inland track, its not a shocker.

comphour.24.189.161.245.151.13.10.16.gif

the regular plots show the same thing with the blocking more east based than anything else, but you are correct, anomoly maps would point it out better, feel free to throw them up

All you have to do is check off anomaly instead of mean before you create those same maps that you are posting, fyi.

All you have to do is check off anomaly instead of mean before you create those same maps that you are posting.

I like the regular 500 maps better, especially when looking at OP output in the winter and trying to match 500mb patterns.

Trils, your composite maps go back pretty far before the event....I'd try and stick to just 24 hours (maybe up to 48h) before the event to get the best feel for the synoptic setup leadiong into it. I've seen an east based block 3-5 days before an event get pushed into an ideal Greenland or even Davis Straight block by the tday before the event.

A good example is 12/19/09....here is 4 days before on the 15th:

xcndwp.jpg

And now by the day of the event:

2wp8krq.jpg

Trils, your composite maps go back pretty far before the event....I'd try and stick to just 24 hours (maybe up to 48h) before the event to get the best feel for the synoptic setup leadiong into it. I've seen an east based block 3-5 days before an event get pushed into an ideal Greenland or even Davis Straight block by the tday before the event.

A good example is 12/19/09....here is 4 days before on the 15th:

xcndwp.jpg

And now by the day of the event:

2wp8krq.jpg

I am doing it intentionally, because for a lot of these events, the block is weakening or gone by the time the event hits but you are right how it can be deceptive.

Lots of ways to play with this.

I am doing it intentionally, because for a lot of these events, the block is weakening or gone by the time the event hits.

Yeah it can hapen that way sometimes...the block is already established and then weakens as the event is just hitting...that happened in the 1/12/11 event. But the 4 day composites can sometimes be a bit tough to read because of the smoothing.

Yeah it can hapen that way sometimes...the block is already established and then weakens as the event is just hitting...that happened in the 1/12/11 event. But the 4 day composites can sometimes be a bit tough to read because of the smoothing.

agreed, and I have pointed those out, its really cool to put these bigger storms in one thread and look at them. And people can play with the dates to get rid of some of the smoothin.

cool feature here during boxing day. You can see the first block dying as it moves west past the strait into Canada, but look at the new block forming. Just an insane period of blocking.

comphour.24.189.161.245.151.15.9.50.gif

and a week later, we had this leading up to 1/11/11

so cool

comphour.24.189.161.245.151.15.32.13.gif

Archived