Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Notable Violent Past April Weather

wxhstn74

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for posting Andy, for some reason I never thought to post my blog here. Hopefully it's of some interest to you guys.    :thumbsup:

I actually found it to be very interesting and detailed, with a lot of photography I had never seen before. Very nice work.

Guess I will take this opportunity to post Fujita's paper about 4/11/65 as we near that anniversary.

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/098/mwr-098-01-0029.pdf

One of things that fascinates me about this storm system that hasn't been mentioned is the extreme gradient winds behind the dry line.  According to one of the surface obs map in that pdf, there are wind gusts between 65-75mph over a large area over southern Iowa/northern Missouri on westward.  St. Joseph Kansas City is shown gusting to 85mph if I'm reading it right.  That's just amazing.

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!

Palm Sunday was absolutely fascinating to me. The huge temperature gradient, strong winds at all levels, the screaming 160kt obs over KDDC. I haven't checked into this much yet, though I plan to soon, but I'd bet at its peak this outbreak was as violent as any other on record. As many as nine violent F4 or F5 tornadoes on the ground at once. That's amazing.

Pretty impressive 500mb winds:

bEPSr.gif

The 151mph gust recorded at Mayers Airport is interesting too. Exact same wind speed as was recorded in El Reno last year, and if I remember correctly, the anemometers were at roughly the same distance from the tornado.

One of things that fascinates me about this storm system that hasn't been mentioned is the extreme gradient winds behind the dry line. According to one of the surface obs map in that pdf, there are wind gusts between 65-75mph over a large area over southern Iowa/northern Missouri on westward. St. Joseph Kansas City is shown gusting to 85mph if I'm reading it right. That's just amazing.

If we're talking about the same image, the caption gives different values for wind barbs/flags than we're used to. Still very windy though.

As a 7 year old, my dad and I watched from our front porch as the Russiaville/Greentown/Marion F-4 moved 6 miles north of us as it continued to produce F-4 damage across northern Blackford County. By this time, it was dark, but we knew that it was a real bad storm.

That was the beginning of my interest in weather.

If we're talking about the same image, the caption gives different values for wind barbs/flags than we're used to. Still very windy though.

Didn't notice that before.  That's a weird way of displaying wind data.  Wonder why he did that.  Anyway, would love to see what some of the actual surface observations were from that zone of extreme winds. 

I guess that means KC had 45kt sustained winds at that ob.  Maybe it was 45kt gusts, who knows.  Wasn't clarified in the caption. 

Archived