• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Forest Fire Thread- SNE-Updated for summer drought/torch

Damage In Tolland

Are you insane? No..let's let the firefighters do their work..this thing could really get out of control in a hurry up there and burn hundreds of acres and threaten many homes

Just seemed like you liked to chase any phenomenon lol. My dad was a ff for many many years, I was joking. Got a reaction from the internet and in person, +2 troll pts pending ginx telling me I'm a dumbazz cause he didnt read lower

On the record, I feel really bad for these people. Fire is one thing I really don't like. Tors, hurricanes etc all kill but are interesting from a wx standpoint but fires are just nasty

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Blizz have compromising pics of you or something?

He called you're snowpacks demise well ahead of anyone else, he was tarred and feathered, but in the end the KFS was correct. This fire situation has the potential to be fairly serious.

KFS deserves some respect

Just seemed like you liked to chase any phenomenon lol. My dad was a ff for many many years, I was joking. Got a reaction from the internet and in person, +2 troll pts pending ginx telling me I'm a dumbazz cause he didnt read lower

On the record, I feel really bad for these people. Fire is one thing I really don't like. Tors, hurricanes etc all kill but are interesting from a wx standpoint but fires are just nasty

Lots of folks chase fires dude, see the link I posted.

Kevin is a drama queen, loves the attention. Not one structure burned that I know of, maybe an outhouse whose well ran dry in last summers drought he nailed.

lol, is the threat over? I was under the impression that we have at least 4-7 more days of low dews and nw winds outside of eastern mass perhaps come sunday??

lol, is the threat over? I was under the impression that we have at least 4-7 more days of low dews and nw winds outside of eastern mass perhaps come sunday??

Some sanity and reality. The Brimfield fired burned 20 acres, is confined to a ridge, burned tornado debris.no structures burned. Yes the fire danger is high but so far only brush and debris, not whole forest fires, there is a huge difference.

abb67db0.jpg

e8f976cd.jpg

He called you're snowpacks demise well ahead of anyone else, he was tarred and feathered, but in the end the KFS was correct. This fire situation has the potential to be fairly serious.

KFS deserves some respect

Please. He called for my snowpack's demise from December on and , eventually, many months later it finally happened. How did he get the pics? Notice Blizz hasn't commented on the leafless trees in the pic I posted? KFS called for full leaf out by 4/1. We'll be lucky to have full leaf out by 5/15 here.

Please. He called for my snowpack's demise from December on and , eventually, many months later it finally happened. How did he get the pics? Notice Blizz hasn't commented on the leafless trees in the pic I posted? KFS called for full leaf out by 4/1. We'll be lucky to have full leaf out by 5/15 here.

I think my bet with him about full leaf out in NCT by April 15 is a lock. LLs bromance with Kev is the oppo of SnowNH, wonder if he will report him too?

Not sure of the details, but WMUR is reporting a large brush fire in Wakefield, NH with buildings damaged. There was also a fire in Hill That burned 64 acres.

Bad situation today, we had one we could see from our tower Cam it was in Ledyard, lots of FDs are nervous especially with all the storm debris around. Hopefully Easter dawns wet.

I think my bet with him about full leaf out in NCT by April 15 is a lock. LLs bromance with Kev is the oppo of SnowNH, wonder if he will report him too?

Did Blizz really report him? That's bogus. We shouldn't have a culture of ratting on one another here.

Light damij so far, hopefully we can ramp up the action in coming days.

http://www.wmur.com/...022/detail.html

Stop being such a ghoul or I'm going to report you.

Brimfield fire is out, smoldering hot spots

Didn't look out this morning, maybe knock down. Due to the amount of trees down from the tornado, having a hard time overhauling as they cannot get to areas of active fire.

Really think full leaf out by the 15th? Trees up this way barely budding, with some bushes having leaves on them but not all.

<p>

Didn't look out this morning, maybe knock down.  Due to the amount of trees down from the tornado, having a hard time overhauling as they cannot get to areas of active fire.

Really think full leaf out by the 15th?  Trees up this way barely budding, with some bushes having leaves on them but not all.

no my bet is no leaf out and Kevin is full of **** with the valley leaf out. Nary a maple, oak leaved out. Those ornamental foreign species have flowers. Pic Kevin?

Very Prophetic article written in Dec in the ORH Tellegram

Plans shape up to deal with post-storms fire threat

Emergency traffic paths cleared

By Bradford L. Miner TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

(T&G Staff/BRADFORD L. MINER)

Four weather disasters in seven months — a tornado, two tropical storms and a late fall snowstorm — has left much of Central Massachusetts looking like one industrial-strength brush pile.

From main highways and back roads throughout the region still sidelined with debris to significantly larger than usual brush piles in backyards, everyone from individuals to state agencies is asking, “What do we do with it?”

And some, like David V. Celino, state forest fire warden for the Department of Conservation and Recreation, are already looking ahead to the threat represented by branches, limbs and whole trees on the ground come spring and the 2012 forest fire season.

At Brimfield State Forest, hardest hit of the DCR properties from the weather events, Mr. Celino this week checked the work done by Mayer Tree Service during the month of September, clearing roads, fire lanes, hiking trails, the day use area and the administrative complex.

Given that unusual weather contributed to an unprecedented amount of fuel on the ground, Mr. Celino said it will be weather this winter and throughout the coming spring that ultimately determines the severity and duration of the forest fire season.

He said he was pleased to see even just a dusting of snow on the ground, saying that dead vegetation on the ground will have had ample time to dry out or “cure,” by March or April, unless it’s been sitting beneath a foot or more of snow for most of the winter.

“The weather has been like a double-edged sword,” he said, citing on one hand the extraordinary amount of damage to the state’s forests, and on the other, the day-to-day wetter than usual weather throughout the fall.

“Fortunately, that has slowed the curing process for all of the fuel on the ground since the tornado,” he said.

The chief fire warden said the monthlong effort by Mayer Tree Service of Essex had improved access to any wildlands fire in the state forest for brush firetrucks and other fire apparatus, but mounting a direct attack on any fire even a hundred yards off any of the fire roads presented a tactical challenge because the better part of a thousand acres was still inaccessible.

“We’re looking at a situation where we might have to rely on an aerial attack, using helicopters, drawing from the closest water source here. Otherwise, we have a fire bulldozer that could be deployed here as well, if necessary,” he said.

According to Peter Church, director of Forest Stewardship for DCR, the tree service cleared the primary roads and unimproved fire lanes, many of the trails, the day use area and the administrative office and garage complex.

Mr. Church said while the DCR was still assessing damage to parks and forests across the state from the subsequent storms, dealing with the tornado damage at Brimfield had been a priority.

The fire warden said even with improved access, speed would be critical, mounting an initial attack, even in the more remote areas, as quickly as possible to control the spread of any fire.

Mr. Celino said many of the state forests and parks, particularly in the Holyoke Range still have blocked roads and trails from the Oct. 29 snowstorm, but that is not as critical as the tornado blow-down areas that have a five-month head start in drying over the limbs and trees brought down by the snowstorm.

“If we have an open winter, with little or no snow cover and warmer than usual temperatures will be problematic, going into brush fire season with drier than usual conditions in the forests and blow-down areas,” he said.

Given that many brush fires each spring originate as out-of-control brush pile fires, Mr. Celino’s advice to homeowners is simple: “Don’t wait.”

He said open burning season begins Jan. 15 and recommended that brush piles be covered until then with a tarp to keep them dry enough to burn.

“The first occasion after the 15th when there’s little or no wind and at least a few inches of snow on the ground, that’s when as much brush as possible should be burned. Waiting until the end of the brush burning season in April is just asking for trouble,” he said.

As a proactive measure, Mr. Celino said between now and the start of brush fire season he and his Forest Fire Control crew would be having training sessions for fire departments in Brimfield, Monson, Sturbridge and Southbridge, and other communities to the west having been hit by the tornado to provide skills in tackling a wildlands fire which would likely be more intense than an average brush fire where the amount of fuel on the ground is much less.

Mr. Church called the amount of storm damage to DCR properties as unprecedented.

Nonetheless, he said, it was immediately apparent there was a public safety component to the blocked roads, fire lanes, and trails, as well as the day use and headquarters areas that would have to be addressed.

Mr. Church said DCR’s safety concern was twofold — a brush fire in central area of the blow-down as well as any fire on the perimeter of the state property that threatened private homes.

“We started in September and cleared all the fire roads, hiking trails, the day use area and the area around the administration building.” He said the work took about a month. The second phase will consider the homes abutting the DCR boundaries and whether establishing a fire break would be necessary to address the amount of fuel on the ground. There are a number of private properties on Dearth Hill Road, that are like pockets within the park, and we’ll be doing an assessment of those sites within the next couple of months to see if more clearing is warranted.

The cost of the Brimfield forest cleanup was $140,000.

He said DCR foresters would do an assessment of the blow-down area to determine if any of it had salvage value to offset the cost to date of the cleanup.

Edward M. Lambert Jr., DCR commissioner said, “DCR is deeply committed to the rehabilitation of its forests and parks following a year of intense weather and extensive damage to these well-loved spaces.”

“That said, following the most recent storm in October, our first concern was assisting cities, towns and locals in removing dangerous downed trees and materials to clear the way for utility and emergency workers to get residents back online and safe in their homes and communities. With that work mostly complete, DCR refocused its staff, equipment and energy on reopening and rehabilitating our parks and forests,” the commissioner said.

Mr. Lambert said agency personnel, hikers and avid outdoors people, shared the public’s eagerness to get back to the parks; but as stewards, DCR had an obligation to be sure it is safe for visitors before we reopen.”

Archived