Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Our region's extreme run

MN Transplant

Impressive. A really interesting March.

NWS just posted that it's close and we need to get past the low from this morning but numbers from the F6 say it's there. Maybe the F6 is wrong.

post-1615-0-61378100-1396318642_thumb.gi

Definitely an impressive month.  I wish IAD had a longer record ... or DCA wasn't a heat island of doom. IAD outpaced DCA with records like a million to one this winter. 

NWS just posted that it's close and we need to get past the low from this morning but numbers from the F6 say it's there. Maybe the F6 is wrong.

Definitely an impressive month.  I wish IAD had a longer record ... or DCA wasn't a heat island of doom. IAD outpaced DCA with records like a million to one this winter. 

Yeah, I saw their Facebook post that it was close, but by the looks of your table, we got it.  I went back and looked at 84...Dulles got to 35 on 3/31/84.  With such an anomalous month, we were bound to break records at Dulles.

ETA:  from their Facebook post:  

US National Weather Service Baltimore/Washington either 37 or 38. We are just over with the morning low of 39.

BWI had the 11th coldest March and tied for 6th coldest Jan.-Mar. period ever (if rounded to nearest tenth of a degree).

Rodney, how did Jan.-Mar. rank at IAD in terms of cold? Curious to see if it made the top 10 as well.

Jan-Mar 2014 was third coldest (of 52 years) at IAD, with an average temperature of 32.27 degrees.  Coldest was 1970, with an average of 31.47; and second coldest was 1978, with an average of 31.53.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like BWI will tie the record high minimum for today of 62 degrees unless something happens before midnight (which is doubtful). This will be the 5th consecutive April where BWI has either broken or tied at least one high or high minimum record.

If we finish April above average, this will be the 7th consecutive April with above-average temperatures for the month overall.

It looks like BWI will tie the record high minimum for today of 62 degrees unless something happens before midnight (which is doubtful). This will be the 5th consecutive April where BWI has either broken or tied at least one high or high minimum record.

If we finish April above average, this will be the 7th consecutive April with above-average temperatures for the month overall.

BWI did indeed tie it. Next up is a record low watch overnight tonight- need to reach 30 degrees or lower. Also for tomorrow we could possibly tie the record daily snowfall (a Trace), which last occurred in 1988.

• 2 weeks later...

Jan-Mar 2014 was third coldest (of 52 years) at IAD, with an average temperature of 32.27 degrees.  Coldest was 1970, with an average of 31.47; and second coldest was 1978, with an average of 31.53.

Same deal for January-April.  The first four months of 2014 at IAD averaged 37.23 degrees, beaten for the coldest first third of the year only by 1970 at 36.73 and 1978 at 37.20.

Quite an extreme April for BWI... yesterday's rainfall of 3.06 inches tied the previous daily record set in 1947. This was the 2nd wettest April ever with 8.6 inches total (record is 8.7 inches set in 1889).

The period from Jan-Apr was tied for 5th coldest Jan-Apr period ever (38.0 degrees). Time to issue a top 10 coldest year on record watch?

Same deal for January-April.  The first four months of 2014 at IAD averaged 37.23 degrees, beaten for the coldest first third of the year only by 1970 at 36.73 and 1978 at 37.20.

The temperature at IAD last night rose four degrees after I posted the above to peak at 58 right before midnight, causing April's average to tick up from 52.1 to 52.2, and the first four months average to tick up to 37.25.  That is still the third coldest first third of the year ever at IAD, and the coldest April (tied with 2007) since 50.3 was recorded in 1997.

1st time with 4 consecutive BN months at BWI since 1970 apparently?  According to Tony Pann.  

Is he talking about below the 1981-2010 normals? If so, I think that may be true with an asterisk.  I haven't checked every year, but I know that in 1996 at BWI July, August, October, and November were all below normal, with September exactly at normal.  So, that would be five consecutive months of normal and below, but only four of the five below.  At IAD, I believe that the last year with four consecutive below normal months was 2000, when June-September were all below.  

• 4 weeks later...

Record lowest max set at BWI yesterday (57 degrees). The previous record was 58, set in 1996.

IAD missed tying by a degree at 59 degrees -- record for May 29th there still stands at 58, also set in 1996.  DC record for May 29th is 58, set in 1893; and DCA record is 60, also set in 1996.  DCA recorded a maximum of 62 yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite an historical contrast in June 2014 average minimum and maximum temperatures at DCA. The average minimum was 68.8 degrees, good enough for 6th warmest on the all-time DC list.  The average maximum, on the other hand, was 85.6 degrees, tied for only 31st warmest on the all-time DC list.  In June 1994, DCA recorded an average maximum of 90.0 degrees, the all-time DC high for June -- 4.4 degrees higher than this year.  However, the average DCA minimum in June 1994 was only 68.7 degrees, 0.1 lower than this year.  

• 2 weeks later...

Quite an historical contrast in June 2014 average minimum and maximum temperatures at DCA. The average minimum was 68.8 degrees, good enough for 6th warmest on the all-time DC list.  The average maximum, on the other hand, was 85.6 degrees, tied for only 31st warmest on the all-time DC list.  In June 1994, DCA recorded an average maximum of 90.0 degrees, the all-time DC high for June -- 4.4 degrees higher than this year.  However, the average DCA minimum in June 1994 was only 68.7 degrees, 0.1 lower than this year.  

Solid proof of increased urbanization or greenhouse warming.