• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Our region's extreme run

MN Transplant

Ha! I just about to post that before you did. Yes, the BWI low of 62 beat the previous record of 59 set on Dec. 23, 1990

And the IAD low of 62 beat the previous record of 61 set on that same date, while beating the previous record for December 22nd (also set in 1990) by 13 degrees. Interesting that DCA's low yesterday was 57, five degrees below the other two area airports. While 57 still easily erased the previous record for December 22nd of 49 set in 1923, it fell two degrees short of the December record of 59 set on December 5, 1973.   

Guess this is as good a place as any.. rehash of old news but most of our stories were temp/precip extremes in 2013:

Top 5 weather stories of the year around here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/12/27/top-five-d-c-area-weather-stories-of-2013/

We were due for a lull after the run we had in the prior few years.

January-November 2013 at DCA averaged 60.3 degrees, 21st warmest on DC's all-time list, and down 2.7 degrees from last year. Additionally, November 2013 equaled November 2012 with an average temperature of 46.6 degrees, 3.0 degrees below the 1981-2010 normal and tied for 82nd on the all-time list. 

With a December average temperature of 42.3 degrees at DCA, 2013 averaged 58.8 there, 20th warmest all-time in DC, but down 2.7 degrees from last year, the 5th largest yearly decline in DC history. 

With a December average temperature of 42.3 degrees at DCA, 2013 averaged 58.8 there, 20th warmest all-time in DC, but down 2.7 degrees from last year, the 5th largest yearly decline in DC history. 

It's also interesting to note that DCA's average maximum 2013 temperature was 67.0 degrees, which was only 36th warmest all-time in DC, and down 3.2 degrees from last year (yearly decline was also 5th largest in DC history).

Record lowest max watch and record low watch being issued for next Tuesday (Jan. 7) for BWI ... current record lowest max for Jan. 7 is 22 and record low is 8. Forecast is calling for high of 19 Tues. and low of 11 early Tues. morning.

3 degrees at BWI now so the record low part has been broken... just need to stay below 22 for the high now, which I think we'll do.

IAD easily broke the lowest daily maximum and minimum records for January 7th, with 18 and 1, respectively.  The maximum was the lowest since January 16, 2009 (17), and the minimum was the lowest since January 17, 2009 (0).  The daily average of 9.5 was the lowest since February 5, 1996 (5.0, consisting of a maximum of 20 and a minimum of -10).

This is probably a RodneyS question but I wonder what the largest difference is between a daily high and daily low in one calendar year at DCA/IAD/BWI.

I think 1936 may be the record for BWI- lowest temp ever recorded that year was 0 and highest recorded was 107, so thats a 107 degree difference. 1994 would be another one, with the lowest temp recorded being -5 and the highest 101, a 106 degree difference. I would think 2011 would have to be a big one too, with 8 being the lowest and 106 being the highest, a difference of 98 degrees.

With 3 degrees being our lowest so far, that means we'd have to have a high of 110 this summer to tie it. LOL

This is probably a RodneyS question but I wonder what the largest difference is between a daily high and daily low in one calendar year at DCA/IAD/BWI.

I think 1936 may be the record for BWI- lowest temp ever recorded that year was 0 and highest recorded was 107, so thats a 107 degree difference. 1994 would be another one, with the lowest temp recorded being -5 and the highest 101, a 106 degree difference. I would think 2011 would have to be a big one too, with 8 being the lowest and 106 being the highest, a difference of 98 degrees.

With 3 degrees being our lowest so far, that means we'd have to have a high of 110 this summer to tie it. LOL

For DC, I believe it is 1881.  The high of 104 on September 7th represented a 118 degree increase from the low of -14 on New Year's Day.  For DCA, I believe it is 1994.  The high of 101 on June 15th represented a 105 degree increase from the low of -4 on January 19th.  For IAD, I believe it is 1987.  The high of 100 on August 27th represented a 117 degree increase from the low of -17 on January 28th.              

I've probably asked this before and lost the link but anyone know where you can download co-op data?  Curious because today the Post used a graphic based on the Arboretum and the numbers were considerably different than DCA.  Makes me interested in running some comparisons. 

I've probably asked this before and lost the link but anyone know where you can download co-op data?  Curious because today the Post used a graphic based on the Arboretum and the numbers were considerably different than DCA.  Makes me interested in running some comparisons. 

Utah State Climate site-- http://climate.usurf.usu.edu/mapGUI/mapGUI.php

The new interface is less user friendly, but you can still figure it out, I'm sure.

Thanks. Probably should have known that.  Getting handed the data for the local airports made me lazy.  Have used the new site a bit before.. not sure I saw it before revamp. 

It was fewer steps to get the data. Also, it didn't have the weird conversion to metric then converted back to "English" units and there were many more co-ops to access. The revamp allows you to only access currently active co-ops, it looks like.

It was fewer steps to get the data. Also, it didn't have the weird conversion to metric then converted back to "English" units and there were many more co-ops to access. The revamp allows you to only access currently active co-ops, it looks like.

Yeah, I didn't get that part. Last time I used it was to pull EWR data to look at super bowl snow odds -- a post still buried for the future maybe.  But I asked for english and it still gave me mm etc which I had to convert. They matched up with F6s though at least after.  I tried English just now and it seemed to work though hopefully no conversion issues.

Yeah, I didn't get that part. Last time I used it was to pull EWR data to look at super bowl snow odds -- a post still buried for the future maybe.  But I asked for english and it still gave me mm etc which I had to convert. They matched up with F6s though at least after.  I tried English just now and it seemed to work though hopefully no conversion issues.

There are minor annoying rounding issues-- stuff like 7.99" of snow instead of 8.0" or 33.1 F instead of 33 F---that need to be scrubbed out of a spreadsheet, but those should be relatively easy to fix. I just don't get the point of why they would have used the metric converted values to convert back to "English," instead of just using the original "English" values.

For DC, I believe it is 1881.  The high of 104 on September 7th represented a 118 degree increase from the low of -14 on New Year's Day.  For DCA, I believe it is 1994.  The high of 101 on June 15th represented a 105 degree increase from the low of -4 on January 19th.  For IAD, I believe it is 1987.  The high of 100 on August 27th represented a 117 degree increase from the low of -17 on January 28th.              

Thanks. Looking at those dates you mentioned I realized I missed 1881, that ties the 1936 record at BWI for 107 degrees (-6 and 101).

Thanks. Looking at those dates you mentioned I realized I missed 1881, that ties the 1936 record at BWI for 107 degrees (-6 and 101).

Here is a mind-boggling statistic to put our area's volatility in perspective.  Nowata, OK set the all-time low temperature record in the history of Oklahoma on February 10, 2011, with a reading of -31.  Exactly one week later, it recorded a high of 79 -- a 110 degree rise not from winter to summer but from one Thursday to the next!

Here is a mind-boggling statistic to put our area's volatility in perspective.  Nowata, OK set the all-time low temperature record in the history of Oklahoma on February 10, 2011, with a reading of -31.  Exactly one week later, it recorded a high of 79 -- a 110 degree rise not from winter to summer but from one Thursday to the next!

Wow! That is awesome. 

Anyone know this answer? In the charts below I ran highs in July 2011 against eachother for DCA and two local coops.  The initial way was just putting the dates next to eachother but it looks like it fits better assuming the co-ops are reporting PRIOR days highs rather than the date they match with.  Matt mentioned something similar in txt about snow but I guess my question is can it just be assumed it's always reporting for the day prior rather than the day of on a co-op?

Here's the two examples. Second with the shift.

post-1615-0-16930800-1389313716_thumb.gi

post-1615-0-84420800-1389313719_thumb.gi

I'm not sure 100% but I think Co-Ops report like CoCoRaHS, reporting at 7 am for previous 24 hour period?

That makes sense as NWS does 12z for things like snow depth. So then I guess the other question/assumption is that lows are as reported for the day shown? And same for snow depth? There is probably a guide I should track down.

Time for a BWI snow futility update. So far we have 7.1 inches this season:

If BWI records less than 4.1 additional inches this winter, we will break the consecutive 3 year snow futility record.

If BWI records less than 1.5 additional inches this winter, we will break the consecutive 4 year snow futility record.

If BWI records less than 2.9 additional inches, it will be the first time ever that the location has recorded 3 consecutive single-digit seasonal snow totals.