Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Favorite recent late February storm?

gymengineer

Favorite recent late February storm?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Given the way this winter has gone, which of the post-2/20 snowstorms would you most likely give a first-born child to re-experience?

• 2/25/07- Only storm Nikolai out-forecast all the pro mets- WWA for brief snow to sleet and a bit of zr instead was a gorgeous, tree-lining snow thump. 3-6"
    • 2/28/05- Underperforming, but lingering, tree-liner that only started sticking on roads after sunset. 2-6"
    • 2/24/05- Backbuilding light to moderate snow that lasted for about 24 hours. Again, only started sticking on roads after sunset. 3-7"
    • 2/26-28/03- Earlier than forecast first wave of 1-2", lull, light snow, then heavier evening band for another 4-6"
    • 2/22/01- 3-6" burst of snow (best area-wide of the season) that caused an unprecedented traffic pile-up in VA

I picked 2/26-28/03 because the snow from PDII hadn't melted away yet, and this sequence covered over everything in a nice coat of snow again.

that was a sun angle frustration....didn't stick on the street in dupont circle until after dark....but then a nice event...it started ripping snow right before dark and then right when the sun set it started to stick almost immediately

that was a sun angle frustration....didn't stick on the street in dupont circle until after dark....but then a nice event...it started ripping snow right before dark and then right when the sun set it started to stick almost immediately

Only 07 and 01 stuck during daylight hours- 07 from the rate of snowfall and 01 from that and the frigid temperatures. The 01 pileup on I-95 from a true white-out is still probably the worst east coast pileup ever.

Only 07 and 01 stuck during daylight hours- 07 from the rate of snowfall and 01 from that and the frigid temperatures. The 01 pileup on I-95 from a true white-out is still probably the worst east coast pileup ever.

February 22, 2001? I recall that storm even up here in NJ, it did produce one hell of a traffic jam and mess at rush hour.

yes...It was my smallest event of the sample tied with 2/28/05, but probably the heaviest snow during the heavy bands though 2/25/07 was similar

All of those storms were meh, but I guess I'll go with Feb 2007. That was a nice burst even though it was a pretty brief storm.

The Feb 2005 ones were agonizing and tedious with their failure to stick during the day.

Yeah, especially the second one, since it was supposed to be a bigger accumulation. The main snow shield took forever to get into the area- Miller A with a low in the Lakes.

Yeah, especially the second one, since it was supposed to be a bigger accumulation. The main snow shield took forever to get into the area- Miller A with a low in the Lakes.

Yup. That was a huge disappointment, since it had the potential to be a KU. I still got 6" in the end, but much of it was after sunset. I would do anything to get 6" today, but at the time it was disappointing compared to some of the 8-12"+ forecasts that some were calling for.

Yup. That was a huge disappointment, since it had the potential to be a KU. I still got 6" in the end, but much of it was after sunset. I would do anything to get 6" today, but at the time it was disappointing compared to some of the 8-12"+ forecasts that some were calling for.

The two storms together triggered a bunch of editorials calling the DC area weather wusses. I guess that was because school systems had the tough choice of deciding to cancel based on the forecast vs. based on what was actually happening at 4-5 am. Most kids had no school Thursday (2/24), Friday, and Monday (some even got Tuesday cancelled). And really, only Friday the 25th was even half-warranting a closure.

Archived