famartin

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ready for snow.

Temp creeping up 26 to now 27

Winds SW 1-2

DP at 10, up from 3.

The dry air may make for higher than normal qp/snow ratios, > than 10:1?

snow ratios will prob mostly 10:1 or less. The temperature profile in the snow growth zone is not good at all and the omega is lackluster and not in the ideal spot for good snow ratios.

28 F here in levittown...projected low was 26...with the DP's so low, i'm thinking we get down to 24 or so.

Temperatures may not lower to much now as the clouds are thickening and gradually lowering (perhaps a little lowering of the temperatures though with the onset of the snow).

JST's elevation is 2,280 feet though. It looks like the sites around there that are at a lower elevation, the snow has not started yet.

Got a pretty decent clip of light snow going where I'm at off the Laurels. About 6 miles north of Altoona at 1200' ish. Looks like just a brief initial wave of precip. It seems like that shield has a little bit of work to do around the Pittsburgh area. That gang in the Pitt/western PA thread is already sending obs of mixed precipitation.

Got a pretty decent clip of light snow going where I'm at off the Laurels. About 6 miles north of Altoona at 1200' ish. Looks like just a brief initial wave of precip. It seems like that shield has a little bit of work to do around the Pittsburgh area. That gang in the Pitt/western PA thread is already sending obs of mixed precipitation.

Yeah, I see many more obs now showing the snow has reached the ground. The 00z PIT sounding was all below freezing, but a 'warmer' layer is noted at 800 mb.

Archived