• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Acuweather Canned on KYW

dssbss

Am I correct in noticing that KYW 1060 no longer uses Accuweather. Seems to have changed at the start of the new year. They now use CBS3 which I am assuming is one big happy CBS Philly/Radio/TV family. Hasn't Accuweather been with KYW for over 30 years? No more Elliot Abrams

Am I correct in noticing that KYW 1060 no longer uses Accuweather. Seems to have changed at the start of the new year. They now use CBS3 which I am assuming is one big happy CBS Philly/Radio/TV family. Hasn't Accuweather been with KYW for over 30 years? No more Elliot Abrams

40+...since the early 70's.

expense saving move if they have fully cutback...

there was at least a partial (weekends, everyone but Elliot Abrams and Bob Larsen) for a while before this...

I couldn't figure it out when I was thinking about a career in television and it makes even less sense in a Top 5 market - why bother having meteorologists on staff if you are going to use Accuweather? Seriously, don't even bother with someone who has a met degree, just get a presenter like they do in LA. It definitely makes no sense to me why the radio station wouldn't use the forecast produced by the television station owned by the same company.

I couldn't figure it out when I was thinking about a career in television and it makes even less sense in a Top 5 market - why bother having meteorologists on staff if you are going to use Accuweather? Seriously, don't even bother with someone who has a met degree, just get a presenter like they do in LA. It definitely makes no sense to me why the radio station wouldn't use the forecast produced by the television station owned by the same company.

Couldn't agree more. Accuweather makes sense for a radio station that has no internal help with forecasting, otherwise it's seems a waste if they are not using outlets they already can use.

I certainly hope Accuweather continues their great work at KYW.....Elliott Abrams was part of my childhood....they were the first on air folks I remember talking about models etc. I always loved Elliott saying...."the models says 6" of snow.....but of course you don't shovel models"

I know they were still doing some updates a few days ago....but if this is the end at KYW - let me be the first to thank them for all the great years of great forecasting and great personalities!!

Paul

I certainly hope Accuweather continues their great work at KYW.....Elliott Abrams was part of my childhood....they were the first on air folks I remember talking about models etc. I always loved Elliott saying...."the models says 6" of snow.....but of course you don't shovel models"

I know they were still doing some updates a few days ago....but if this is the end at KYW - let me be the first to thank them for all the great years of great forecasting and great personalities!!

Paul

From what I understand, and this is third hand or possibly even fourth hand knowledge, they intend to keep Elliot but use their own mets for the rest of the day.

Paul

I suggest (as I have already done several times over the last month) calling KYW radio to complain about their decision!!

On my first call they patched me into the program director's voice mail. My last call to them (made after they continued to play KYW tv's Justin Drayback(sp?) calling for a "partly sunny afternoon"...it was 5:35 PM and the sun had already set!), whoever I spoke with was also VERY frustrated by the decision to cut accuweather back to only AM and said that they've heard from others.

They understand/seem to agree with our upset and say it was (of course) an "upper mgmt decision" which in the corporate world is usually the reason for dumb decisions (from a customer's standpoint).

BTW..I also called accuweather in state college and the phone "intern" screened my call and said she couldn't comment on the KYW situation.

If you miss hearing accuweather on 1060 then call KYW radio and complain...in mass, perhaps it will help!?

I suggest (as I have already done several times over the last month) calling KYW radio to complain about their decision!!

On my first call they patched me into the program director's voice mail. My last call to them (made after they continued to play KYW tv's Justin Drayback(sp?) calling for a "partly sunny afternoon"...it was 5:35 PM and the sun had already set!), whoever I spoke with was also VERY frustrated by the decision to cut accuweather back to only AM and said that they've heard from others.

They understand/seem to agree with our upset and say it was (of course) an "upper mgmt decision" which in the corporate world is usually the reason for dumb decisions (from a customer's standpoint).

BTW..I also called accuweather in state college and the phone "intern" screened my call and said she couldn't comment on the KYW situation.

If you miss hearing accuweather on 1060 then call KYW radio and complain...in mass, perhaps it will help!?

Calling AccuWeather about this would not help as AccuWeather has no control over what the station does.

There is a reason why KYW 1060 is using the CBS3 in house mets now........competition is coming.

If CBS can shave a few bucks off of the bottom line and use their talent, which is party good talent, then they absolutely should.

To be honest, they had been using CBS3's mets for years in limited capacity...it makes sense for them to increase their usage.

This has nothing to do with Merin buying 106.9 to try to do all news on FM...if that station playsout as well as New York and Chicago I doubt CBS will lose much sleep over not getting that fm signal.

If CBS can shave a few bucks off of the bottom line and use their talent, which is party good talent, then they absolutely should.

To be honest, they had been using CBS3's mets for years in limited capacity...it makes sense for them to increase their usage.

This has nothing to do with Merin buying 106.9 to try to do all news on FM...if that station playsout as well as New York and Chicago I doubt CBS will lose much sleep over not getting that fm signal.

KYW seems to be pushing people to get a new car with an HD radio installed to listen to 94.1 HD-2. 1010 WINS in NYC has been doing the same thing trying to get people to listen to the HD-3 feed on 101.1.

KYW seems to be pushing people to get a new car with an HD radio installed to listen to 94.1 HD-2. 1010 WINS in NYC has been doing the same thing trying to get people to listen to the HD-3 feed on 101.1.

They've been promoting the HD feed since they started using it...it's not like they've suddenly been pimping it in fear of Merlin coming in. Let's be fair about it...they might be ratcheting up the promotion but it's not like they've never mentioned they had an HD feed in 2008, 2009, or 2010...it was usually plugged about once an hour.

Competition is not necessarily a bad thing but Merlin hasn't lit the world on fire in NY or Chicago. No disrespect intended because I know you have a dog in the fight in NYC, but ratings for the NY news station are among the lowest in the market (see WEMP's position down towards the bottom). With that said, news stations take years to build and grow...if Merlin is willing to bleed cash for a decade to build these stations into something then they might have a future. That's why I said I doubt CBS is losing sleep over Merlin moving into the market...it's likely not going to be a factor in the ratings for a while (if the format even makes it to a decade) and in fact it probably helps 1060 improve their game (which has been a bit stale at times).

With that said, the decision to scale back Accu is very much unrelated to the new news station. It's brand synergy...

They've been promoting the HD feed since they started using it...it's not like they've suddenly been pimping it in fear of Merlin coming in. Let's be fair about it...they might be ratcheting up the promotion but it's not like they've never mentioned they had an HD feed in 2008, 2009, or 2010...it was usually plugged about once an hour.

Competition is not necessarily a bad thing but Merlin hasn't lit the world on fire in NY or Chicago. No disrespect intended because I know you have a dog in the fight in NYC, but ratings for the NY news station are among the lowest in the market (see WEMP's position down towards the bottom). With that said, news stations take years to build and grow...if Merlin is willing to bleed cash for a decade to build these stations into something then they might have a future. That's why I said I doubt CBS is losing sleep over Merlin moving into the market...it's likely not going to be a factor in the ratings for a while (if the format even makes it to a decade) and in fact it probably helps 1060 improve their game (which has been a bit stale at times).

With that said, the decision to scale back Accu is very much unrelated to the new news station. It's brand synergy...

Well, CBS radio in NYC and Philly have been playing it up just a little since Merlin came in to the market. It's okay though as 880 and 1010WINS's ratings are still well. Slowly though is WEMP's cume coming up and gaining as each book comes out. It's a start-up and it takes a long time to build! 1010WINS back in 1965 had a lot of "growing pains" and Merlin will have its ups and downs. I jumped in here because it seemed like you were slamming the station.

Going back on topic I agree that scaling back AccuWeather and using the OCMs is a good way to go. During morning and evening rush CBS-AM uses their in house met (Craig Allen) and then during the day they have CBS 2 OCMs. 1010 WINS sticks with AccuWeather throughout the day, and WEMP uses AccuWeather after noon. It's a bit cheaper than some of the other companies(such as Weatherworks in Hackettstown), but also has the name recognition. The only issue that I have is that the AccuWx mets are in State College PA and that's hundreds of miles away from what's going on in the #1 and #7 radio markets in the US.

Well, CBS radio in NYC and Philly have been playing it up just a little since Merlin came in to the market. It's okay though as 880 and 1010WINS's ratings are still well. Slowly though is WEMP's cume coming up and gaining as each book comes out. It's a start-up and it takes a long time to build! 1010WINS back in 1965 had a lot of "growing pains" and Merlin will have its ups and downs. I jumped in here because it seemed like you were slamming the station.

Going back on topic I agree that scaling back AccuWeather and using the OCMs is a good way to go. During morning and evening rush CBS-AM uses their in house met (Craig Allen) and then during the day they have CBS 2 OCMs. 1010 WINS sticks with AccuWeather throughout the day, and WEMP uses AccuWeather after noon. It's a bit cheaper than some of the other companies(such as Weatherworks in Hackettstown), but also has the name recognition. The only issue that I have is that the AccuWx mets are in State College PA and that's hundreds of miles away from what's going on in the #1 and #7 radio markets in the US.

If I remember correctly, they don't refer to AccuWeather as Accu on WEMP...it's just Bob Larson or (insert name of meteorologist). I've only been up that way a couple of times since they signed on and that's how I heard Bob refer to himself.

Given Accu has a 40 year history of doing radio, I don't have an issue with where they forecast out of. Their forecast meteorologists that do radio -- Elliot, Bob, Lundberg, Sobol, Dave Bowers, and others are very good at what they do and generally know their stuff. It stinks in times of breaking weather but the top guys (Elliots of the world) do a great job of paying attention to the local area.

We can blast Accu for their headlines, the NWS rips online, for Henry M being a big weenie...but the radio forecasting has always been (IMO) a first class operation.

If I remember correctly, they don't refer to AccuWeather as Accu on WEMP...it's just Bob Larson or (insert name of meteorologist). I've only been up that way a couple of times since they signed on and that's how I heard Bob refer to himself.

Given Accu has a 40 year history of doing radio, I don't have an issue with where they forecast out of. Their forecast meteorologists that do radio -- Elliot, Bob, Lundberg, Sobol, Dave Bowers, and others are very good at what they do and generally know their stuff. It stinks in times of breaking weather but the top guys (Elliots of the world) do a great job of paying attention to the local area.

We can blast Accu for their headlines, the NWS rips online, for Henry M being a big weenie...but the radio forecasting has always been (IMO) a first class operation.

When stunting the weather was called "WeatherTrak".....but that was canned after a few weeks and replaced with "Weather on the Fives". I just personally feel more comfortable having a localized meteorologist that knows what's going on in that particular area and knows the biases of the ASOS, etc.

When stunting the weather was called "WeatherTrak".....but that was canned after a few weeks and replaced with "Weather on the Fives". I just personally feel more comfortable having a localized meteorologist that knows what's going on in that particular area and knows the biases of the ASOS, etc.

The experienced AccuWx mets know what's going on there, including "the biases of the ASOS etc". OMG I just complimented AccuWx :lol:

The experienced AccuWx mets know what's going on there, including "the biases of the ASOS etc". OMG I just complimented AccuWx :lol:

:lol:

Okay, so that theory doesn't hold any water, but.....you can tune in to any of the radio stations that use AccuWx mets and every forecast is the same. Are they not allow to tweak and make their own forecast?

:lol:

Okay, so that theory doesn't hold any water, but.....you can tune in to any of the radio stations that use AccuWx mets and every forecast is the same. Are they not allow to tweak and make their own forecast?

Its a collaborative effort. When I left (and probably still) there was a group discussion about the weather several times a day.

While I understand the decision by CBS-owned KYW to phase in CBS3 weather folks, as it's always about the bottom line,

and I'm sure Accuwx doesn't come cheap. One would think that advertising revenue on KYW would cover this expense

since as a 'news' station there is a 3:1 ratio of commercials vs. news in a given hour.

Does CBS3 actually 'forecast' or is it a regurg of NWS forecasts? And I agree with the earlier poster about the forecasts

lagging real time - i.e. partly sunny this afternoon in the evening. Carol Erickson is beyond annoying with 'take care of

your pets' when it goes down to 30 at night. The Big Talker 1210 is even worse -- they will quite often on weekends

play yesterday's CBS 3 forecast for today. And again on this station - 30 minutes of commercials per hour vs.

30 minutes of talk - plenty of ad revenue.

They seem to use Accuwx in the mornings 7 days a week, and the 5 day forecast at 15 and 45 past the hour are still

Accuwx (even though they call it the 'KYW 5 day forecast') because it differs from what was just said by CBS 3 at 7, 22,

37 and 52 after the hour and matches what Accuwx had in the morning.

I'd imagine this is a gradual phase-in and Accuwx will become a thing of the past in the PHL radio market.

Why phase it and not just do it outright. Doesn't seem to make sense. Personally, I liked Accuweather better...ironically Kate Bilo who would on occassion do weekend reports for AccuWx now does the reports for KYW via CBS3

Elliot has been doing the weather for 40 years on 1060. If Elliot was completely cut the listeners would be pretty po'd. Elliot is probably the most well-respected™ meteorologist in Philadelphia...most everyone in this city has heard or knows of Elliot and I've never heard a bad heard spoken about him. He's a class act and an on-air pro.

My speculation is when Elliot hangs it up (that's still years down the line probably) you'll see the cord cut completely from Accu at 1060.

Elliot has been doing the weather for 40 years on 1060. If Elliot was completely cut the listeners would be pretty po'd. Elliot is probably the most well-respected™ meteorologist in Philadelphia...most everyone in this city has heard or knows of Elliot and I've never heard a bad heard spoken about him. He's a class act and an on-air pro.

My speculation is when Elliot hangs it up (that's still years down the line probably) you'll see the cord cut completely from Accu at 1060.

+1

And......he's from Philadelphia. He's home grown!

He will be 65 at the end of May, so it might be sooner than later.

My feelings exactly, having listened to Elliot since day 1 on KYW way back in the early 1970's....

I'm now 52 and enjoy listening to him as much as ever and pray that during an impending/occurring snowstorm (remember them??) that they find a way to have more accuwx reports and less of the CBS3 team dribble!!

That's CBS (either 1060 or Channel 3, doesn't matter) being off their game by not having CBS 3's meteorologists not cut an updated forecast in the late afternoon. It's not the first time a recorded forecast was run with not fresh info from CBS 3...but to be honest someone at CBS should update that forecast a bit more frequently. The station should be more on their game...or at minimum they should cut a 2nd forecast to be ready later on in the afternoon. Those forecasts take only a couple of minutes to cut...

FWIW, Accuweather forecasts were recorded as well outside of the live check-in at :08 and :38...unless there was "breaking weather" and they would go live after the traffic at :02 and :32.

Archived