• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Predict the number of tornadoes in 2012.

andyhb

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably... patterns don't change between May and August.

Uh, I meant through May, which is climatologically the peak month for tornadoes (which the current pattern for the next week or more does not support very well). I guessed 1375, which with the pattern we are currently in, seems a bit high at this point, unless June comes up big and/or the Summer (which if the ridge does hold strong like the past however many months, seems a bit unlikely, although I'm a little doubtful of another torch) or Fall (Which some of the analog/similar patterns from years past have had active seasons, 2007 and to a certain extent, 2009, for example).

That wasn't meant to draw a sarcastic remark like that...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This year is pretty much going exactly as expected in turns of patterns, timing, etc. The one thing I didn't foresee was moisture being in short supply with a lot of March-April systems. That was due to unfavorable subtropical ridge placement (too far west). Otherwise, the worst events were early and largely centered on the OV region.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Taking 80-85% of prelim reports, we are probably somewhere between 725-750 tornadoes so far this year. The running 3 year avg for Sep-Dec is 177 so an average finish (plus the remainder of August) would put the total around the mid 900s. A sub 1000 season can't be written off, but a big outbreak or two may be enough to put it over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

762 through July. July actually had more confirmed than prelim.

Not that surprising given how low the number was. Plus they seem to miss waterspouts that come ashore etc quite often in reports.

• 5 weeks later...

Also, slightly off-topic, this video of the Columbus, NE tornado from June 23rd, 1998 finally got posted. One of the best from this time period and one of the more frightening looking tornadoes caught on video, IMO. The motion and the roar of the thing is crazy.

Well I know the thread subtitle for next year will be "Following a very quiet year."

As of November 25, 2012 ranks as the quietest year for tornadoes in the United States, with an estimated 885 tornadoes, below the previous record minimum for that point in the year of 920 tornadoes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived