• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Must have iPhone weather apps?

birdsofprey02

Just wondering what iPhone weather apps many of you have... I really only use The Weather Channel and Accuweather, but looking to broaden my horizons a bit.

I also have an iPad if you know of any that work great on both or either/or.

Other must have apps are always welcomed too. I've been an iPhone user for 2 years but suddenly have an urge to download more apps. I haven't got anything new in a while.

Is it only open to certain agencies and persons? I signed up and said it would review my registration. I'm a FIreFighter , so not sure if that helps?

Oh I didn't realize it was only available to select groups, but fire and emergency responders are on the list. You should get accepted.

It's a pretty sweet service and it works great.

Oh I didn't realize it was only available to select groups, but fire and emergency responders are on the list. You should get accepted.

It's a pretty sweet service and it works great.

if i post on AWS, does that make me a "member of the electronic media?"

iNWS is intended for members of community emergency planning and response management (i.e. emergency managers, law enforcement, fire and emergency responsers, transportation and safety managers, public officials), Skywarn Net Control operators, government partners of NWS offices, and members of the electronic media. Do not register if you do not fit this description.

iNWS is not intended for use by the general public. This stinks, but it's a very costly service to run, so they're running it in a limited test for now.

You CAN sign up for iNWS if you belong to any of the following:

(1) Members of the Emergency Management community at all levels of government; Federal, State, Local and tribal. Other members of this community include: safety and emergency personnel, from universities or other entities with large populations, whose roles are similar to the public safety officials.

(2) Other government agencies: specific government partners NWS requires close coordination with, e.g. FAA officials (for NWS Center Weather Service Units) and water and land management officials (for NWS River Forecast Centers).

(3) Members of the Electronic Media: parties who operate systems that routinely provide weather and water warning information rapidly to a significant part of the population served by the NWS.

Otherwise, you'll have to rely on the open market to serve your needs.

Since I'm not very mobile, I use Wunderground text alerts. I have it set to varying degrees for school and home. (Eg. Most watches/warnings for school- where I'm usually at- and just severe and tornado warnings for my home.)

• 1 month later...

birdsofprey02 and everyone,

My first post disappeared so here goes again... Our iPhone app Weather Time Machine returns weather conditions on a daily and sometimes hourly basis back to 1960 for over 40,000 location in the U.S. and Canada. Valuable for planning vacations, events, historical documentation and personal interest. In addition to current weather, it also has a two year projection feature based on its collated data. It pulls its data from one of the most highly regarded weather data centers in the U.S.

We are a two man development team and would like to ask all of you for marketing suggestions for our app. Getting lost in the sea of apps is one of the downsides of development at this stage and any input for us would be appreciated to achieve more visibility for us. We appreciate this forum and hope to contribute some of our thoughts about weather and also learn from you what features we should be thinking about to improve our/your app.

Michael and Mak

RadarScope

Hurricane by Kitty Code

and while common as hell.....TweetDeck. Yes, I consider twitter as part of the weather apps since it almost becomes a huge tool while I chase.

I also plan to download local apps when chasing hurricanes. Probably a little too difficult to do while chasing in the plains, and not a huge benefit.

Once I upgrade to an iPad, there will be much more, but with the Laptop still being the main platform, the iPhone is still just a business tool for the most part.

I downloaded Wx Alert USA last week, and have been happy with it so far. Customizable alerts and quick access to NWS forecasts, discussions, and radar. There are a few things it could do better...the list of alert types is pretty exhaustive and the setup is a little clunky so it does take some time to get it setup...would also love to see other nws text products added like hourly weather roundups and public info statements. But still worth the $2.99 or $3.99, whatever it was.

For awhile I had been eyeing iMapWeather Radio...really liked the GPS functionality that it would alert you based on your current location...plus that it warned for severe weather based on the NWS polygons and not county-wide warnings...but after looking at reviews sounded like it was a big battery drain. Same with the WeatherAlerts app, which also has GPS functionality.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a unique and extremely useful app for you... RainAware.

It forecasts precise precipitation beginning and ending times for your exact (GPS) location. It predicts times up to 3 hours out...and as precip gets closer, and new data arrives, recalculates.

check it out:

http://www.rainaware.com

And I'd be happy to answer any questions about the app. I am one of the developers.

• 1 month later...

If you like weather and you like baseball you'll love this App. "The SI Weather" has developed an App called “Home Run Weather 2012” that determines if the local weather conditions are favorable for home runs. This simple concept is backed by sophisticated math and physics, and by years of historical home run and weather data. The App is now available for iPhones and Android devices. The App factors in the local “stadium-specific” weather conditions including temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind speed and direction. It also factors such things as time of day and the drag coefficient of a baseball in order to generate a “home run favorability” index that varies from least favorable (0) to most favorable (10). It allows the user to select from any of the 30 big league parks up to 24 hours in advance of game time to generate the index. The App also displays the current and forecasted weather conditions for the user selected city and time. It may be of interest to Fantasy Baseball players, general weather and baseball enthusiasts, and to anyone who may want an idea as to how many runs might be scored in tonight's games.

• 3 months later...

Archived