• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

Hi everyone. I am new member here. I hope to contribute to this community in some way as weather is a guilty pleasure of mine. I reside in Fort Smith by the way.

Welcome to forums. We are a rather active bunch when the weather gets cold, snowy, and/or icy! :)

I read today where one of the 40/29 mets (out of Fayetteville) was jumping on the Tues PM/Wed snow train. Now I read Ted Keller's post and he thinks we could have some accumulation then, too! There's something else to keep an eye on in the near term it seems.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the latest RUC, a few people in a swath from around SPS-ADM-MLC-FSM are in for quite a shock when they look out the window in a few hours. Radar trends certainly support significant precipitation, and though current T/Td obs are a bit warm, the model forecast soundings are a slam-dunk for snow by 12z in a lot of that corridor.

...and the cold air has arrived. Flurries falling here in Ft. Smith

Welcome! We've got a light rain/snow mix here right now. My husband was on Wheeler Ave. in the Fort a few minutes ago and said it was coming down pretty hard. Local mets are saying that the roads should stay fine and that it might accumulate on the grass a little. I'll take that!

Nothing much on the op GFS run this morning to watch for awhile.

These storms passing to the south like this still seem strange for a La-Nina. I just hope we can get one to spin up, or at least a less positively tilted trough so we can get some more substantial snow behind the front.

Areas like New Mexico typically don't see a ton of snow during La Nina due to the systems passing to their north, but this year may be different.

Hey guys,

After the crazy events of this morning that the models never did pick up on do you think this next disturbance over NM is going to surprise us as well? Springfield's afternoon discussion said it is moisture starved so less than 1/2 inch is about it, at most.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe the models aren't going to forecast this one well either. Here's for hoping...

There's something in the medium range to watch on this morning's GFS. This will change a ton of times leading up to the event of course and may not even happen but...

You can see a separation of the streams in the 500 MB chart here. The southern storm (very el-ninolike) is neutrally tilted with another piece of energy in the N Stream across Washington down to Utah. If the N piece was a little faster and if it were to phase, than that would be a big storm system.

usavrthgtgrd500mb204.gif

As it is modeled though, the southern wave gets kicked out by the northern wave and it will probably remain rain.

usapcpprstmp2m204x.gif

An update on post #113 above.

After losing the solution last night, the 12z GFS is kicking the energy out of the SW to our west which will give us rain. The 00z Euro shows a similar solution but farther north.

usavrthgtgrd500mb168.gif

The energy over CA in the above image digs in and eventually forms a storm over NE Arkansas. Again have issues with cold air lagging pretty far behind, but it's something to watch as the GFS deepens that storm as it pushes it NE.

usapcpprstmp2m228.gif

It's a strong closed low with a negative tilt on the 12z GFS medium range... passing to our west..... :-\

usavrthgtgrd500mb159.gif

You would think there would be a ton of snow to the N and NW of that.... nope.. too warm. While I'm sure dynamic cooling would help change it to snow, you would expect a lot more cold air this time of year. :-\

usapcpprstmp2m159.gif

It's a strong closed low with a negative tilt on the 12z GFS medium range... passing to our west..... :-\

You would think there would be a ton of snow to the N and NW of that.... nope.. too warm. While I'm sure dynamic cooling would help change it to snow, you would expect a lot more cold air this time of year. :-\

Yea man the temps are all over the place so far, warm cold warm cold. Its just another year in the ozarks lol. Hell if we dont get one big massive storm like we did last season this one could be even worst? A snow drought maybe idk. Dougs blog and writeups sound bleh so far, he dont sound to excited about this winter season. He does have a mention of a possible storm around xmas eve/xmas day for rain, ice or snow or all of the above lol

Medium-Long range GFS is looking interesting this morning. Lots of continuity with position of features from the 00z GFS run, which is nice to see. The first storm system I noted above will still pass to our west which will give us rain.

There is a second storm system that will drive down behind the first, also coming down is a cold blast at the same time. This looks like the typical blast down the Plains along the Rockies. The position of this system is still up in the air, the earlier model runs have been driving it into Mexico which results in not much around here. Todays 12z GFS didn't drive it as far south, which results in an overrunning type situation.......

usapcpprstmp2m216o.gif

After that, the entire system comes out:

usapcpprstmp2m240u.gif

Archived