• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

The 12z GFS today is now cutting the 2nd system featured above off over the desert SW and Baja. (This has been the Euro solution for days) This results in light rain chances across primarily OK and AR and points south for a few days.

When it does bring the system out, the snow would be mostly north of here.

usapcpprstmp2m228h.gif

There are more systems digging into the west after this and it looks like it could be pretty active around Christmas.

This is the total snowfall through the entire run, I just posted this cause I thought the area with less snow near I-44 seemed about right, lol

usaasnowipersfc384x.gif

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro doesn't sever the cold connection like the 12z GFS to that storm. Arctic air coming down the Plains and it looks like it might be ready to spin a big storm up sometime after 180 over the S. Plains. Looks like it's going to be a battle with the SE Ridge and the storm system so that of course puts this area right on the line.

yeah it does look like it will get active. GFS is indicating multiple storms possible after this. Joplinmet says we get into an active pattern the 2nd half of Dec.

And I got the map from this site, heh

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/ecmwf.html

I can't wait until we get a legit threat on the Euro within 180 hrs so I can compare the GFS/Euro on Wunderground. I'm comparing them now since they both have the same maps, but there isn't a legit threat within the 180 Euro window on wunderground yet.

Day 4-8 from SPC mentions this region in particular...

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0355 AM CST SUN DEC 11 2011

VALID 141200Z - 191200Z

...PREDICTABILITY TOO LOW TO DELINEATE A REGIONAL SVR RISK AREA...

MEDIUM RANGE MODELS INDICATE THAT A VIGOROUS UPPER IMPULSE LIFTING

OUT OF THE SOUTHWESTERN STATES BY MIDWEEK WILL CONTRIBUTE TO

SIGNIFICANT SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS INTO THE

UPPER MIDWEST WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WITH THIS EXPECTED TO

COINCIDE WITH A SUBSTANTIVE INFLUX OF MOISTURE FROM THE WESTERN GULF

OF MEXICO...AN INCREASE IN CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL CERTAINLY SEEMS

LIKELY. SOME GUIDANCE...THE 11/00Z ECMWF IN PARTICULAR... SUGGESTS

THAT A DRY LINE OR DRY LINE TYPE STRUCTURE COULD FORM BENEATH A

MID-LEVEL DRY SLOT ACROSS PARTS OF CENTRAL INTO EASTERN OKLAHOMA AND

KANSAS BY LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...PROVIDING A POSSIBLE FOCUS FOR

SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT IN THE PRESENCE OF STRONG VERTICAL SHEAR.

HOWEVER...EVEN IN THIS CASE...BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZATION ALONG

AND AHEAD OF THE SURFACE FEATURE INTO PARTS OF ARKANSAS AND MISSOURI

REMAINS UNCLEAR. IT SEEMS MORE LIKELY THAN NOT THAT MOISTURE RETURN

ABOVE A RESIDUAL COOL BOUNDARY LAYER WILL PROMOTE CONSIDERABLE LOW

CLOUD COVER AND PRECIPITATION... MAINTAINING STABLE NEAR SURFACE

CONDITIONS. GIVEN THIS UNCERTAINTY...ALONG WITH LINGERING

DISCREPANCIES/SPREAD AMONG THE MODELS AND MODEL

ENSEMBLES...PREDICTABILITY REMAINS TOO LOW TO CONFIDENTLY ASSESS THE

POTENTIAL FOR A REGIONAL SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK. THIS UNCERTAINTY

GROWS THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE PERIOD...AS SHORT WAVE

DEVELOPMENTS WITHIN THE PREVAILING SPLIT UPPER FLOW PATTERN BECOME

INCREASINGLY UNCLEAR.

..KERR.. 12/11/2011

Been some changes on the 12z GFS on the system of interest (Day 7ish). There's a stronger high pressure system with a bit colder air with it, this results in the freezing line being farther south. At the same time, the system is not as closed off and has a slight positive tilt to it until it eventually wraps up, the end result would be primarily freezing rain and sleet north of the 0 deg blue line.

usapcpprstmp2m144y.gif

When it does come out, it's rain.... but there will be a lot of rain with this system as modeled on the 12z GFS.

usapcpprstmp2m180c.gif

yep and the Euro keeps it cutoff over the SW. Bah...

Things can change but damn its gonna be one of those years again? Storm comes and it gets warm, storm leaves and it gets cold lol. Same crap just a different year lol. Or the things come to far north. Just like this week, storm comes and its warm storm goes then it cools down....rinse, wash and repeat!

Things can change but damn its gonna be one of those years again? Storm comes and it gets warm, storm leaves and it gets cold lol. Same crap just a different year lol. Or the things come to far north. Just like this week, storm comes and its warm storm goes then it cools down....rinse, wash and repeat!

So far it's looking like that. It's a weird split flow kind of pattern that we usually see during El Nino. I'm hoping tonights 00z runs go back to showing cold air and a lot of storms but I'm not counting on it. :(

So far it's looking like that. It's a weird split flow kind of pattern that we usually see during El Nino. I'm hoping tonights 00z runs go back to showing cold air and a lot of storms but I'm not counting on it. sad.png

The way the storms are so far it reminds me of 07 with the ice storm storm patterns how they ejected into multiple pieces? Dont know or understand much but to me it just seems that way idk. Whats also weird is we are in a la nina pattern still arent we? Since I moved out here 6 years ago this is how every year seems to play out, take this with a grain of salt and just my rantings lol.

Seems like we have 2 months that are extremely hot(july and august) then 2 weeks in september that are in between, then we get a break and its really nice for the last 2 weeks in september through the first 2 weeks of november...then we get weird weather with warm and semi cold. Then the last 2 weeks in december through the end of Feb. are cold. March it does the same thing until the last 2 weeks then it gets weird again then nice through june. Confusing i know but this is how it seems to setup almost every year now i been here and what my brain can remember.

Its kinda like these cycle things that doug talks about in his blogs but his are written better and explained more lol

I like the new wunderground stuff....did you guys know there was some coupon code thing floating around the internet recently to upgrade your account free for a whole year? Dont know if its still available or not,,,,someone sent it to me and it did work and no ads or crap now so its nice.

yeah I saw that, don't think it worked for me though.

Ok Jomo I dont know if it still works but this is the code i used. FMUYZ

But for the life of me i cant remember where i entered it now sorry man. Somewhere under account when you log in ok. If it dont work sorry but I will keep my eye open for another and let you know in the future if one comes up

Ok heres what i did because I allready had a membership with them.

If you have an existing account, click on "Settings" and then enter the code at the renew membership screen.

But for the life of me i cant remember where i entered it now sorry man. Somewhere under account when you log in ok. If it dont work sorry but I will keep my eye open for another and let you know in the future if one comes up

If you have an existing account, click on "Settings" and then enter the code at the renew membership screen.

Well that was quick and easy, thanks.

Looks good for now at least. Keep it coming JoMo.

Last time there was a storm at this range, the Euro backed off and went more towards the GFS. Nothing showing up really on the 18z GFS or it's ensembles. This seems like a tough 'thread the needle' type of situation since everything has to be in the proper place.

It worked here. Thanks.

Archived