21 members have voted

1. 1. What will the AO average this winter

• < -1 sd
    • 0 to -1 sd
    • 0 to +1 sd
    • > +1 sd
    • where's my neutral option? I don't have the cojones to pick a side

Even.

And skier, 1993-94 AO was higher vs 1994-95, 1996-97......2 years with long sub par periods. For 1994-95 it blew end to end that winter. There's more to it. And mjo...entirely is dependent on it's strength.

See my response in the other thread.. when I said huge I wasn't referring to the numerical values of the AO... I was referring to the fact that there was very good blocking in and north of the bering strait driving cold into NA... so we had a -AO winter even though the AO wasn't extremely negative because other parts of the arctic were not in a -AO state. The actual 500mb pattern is what is important.. not the numerical AO values.

See my response in the other thread.. when I said huge I wasn't referring to the numerical values of the AO... I was referring to the fact that there was very good blocking in and north of the bering strait driving cold into NA... so we had a -AO winter even though the AO wasn't extremely negative because other parts of the arctic were not in a -AO state. The actual 500mb pattern is what is important.. not the numerical AO values.

True...and low hts and deep cold have occurred in plus states...in one recent case....1992-93....snow for BOS was more plentiful vs last year. I still thnk it averages neutral this year

Archived