amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suck at reading those maps but that is showing a nice storm right?

yes its hard to tell based on the small image I can see, but you'd at least suspect the PJ and STJ s/w phase a little bit late, hence the pressure falls east of hatteras. It would favor coastal areas verbatim but at least another model has a strong storm off the coast

Just looking at the past few runs of the EC and GFS...

With so many individual s/w and pockets of vorticity embedded in the canadian "vortex," very subtle changes in the timing and orientation had big effects on the past few runs. There's obviously a good chance we alternate hits and misses as we move forward. It's going to be a bumpy ride. With the longwave trof sharpening in a favorable location around day 6, we don't need that much help from a piece of the vortex dropping in.

I liked how HPC characterized the situation as a 5% probability of major east coast storm. I think the probability of some impact should be higher, maybe 10-25%.

The main point all along still remains: and that is we are approaching a set up that yields favorable potential for a storm. All the models still have a storm too, it's just a matter of placement. No one should be giving up, especially now this far out, because of one or even 2 and three models runs. The pattern is what matters most now, and the pattern is still looking decent.

yes...definitely cant consider it a complete miss just nothing major. Would take anything at this point lol but with the potential on the table It'd be nice to capitalize.

Yes, I agree, a sloppy inch would be somthing to build on. The NAM at hr 84 looks interesting even if it kills the biggy after it.

yes...definitely cant consider it a complete miss just nothing major. Would take anything at this point lol but with the potential on the table It'd be nice to capitalize.

All I want is to preserve this kind of solution (12z GGEM) on the guidance until we get inside 72hrs. From there a major hit is clearly a possibility. Getting a big hit on day 6 doesn't make it more likely than if the model showed a near miss at day 6.

Gradually shrink the ensemble spread. Lock in the major features. Keep a big hit in the cards until we are in range with the players all in NA. That's what I'm hoping for.

were doing absolutly fine this far out. if the euro and gfs were at two completely opposite ends I would be worried but as I said earlier the fact that we definitly have some sort of low to track is a big factor. Instead of the typical case where we are relying on offshore cyclogenisis which may or may not occur.

were doing absolutly fine this far out. if the euro and gfs were at two completely opposite ends I would be worried but as I said earlier the fact that we definitly have some sort of low to track is a big factor. Instead of the typical case where we are relying on offshore cyclogenisis which may or may not occur.

Exactly. I really don't understand this panic while we are 5-6 days out stitll and all models are a very close miss. Would you rather the models be showing a lakes cutter in stead of a close miss off the coast? Jeez.

Exactly. I really don't understand this panic while we are 5-6 days out stitll and all models are a very close miss. Would you rather the models be showing a lakes cutter in stead of a close miss off the coast? Jeez.

People just need the visual validation to make their optimism have some backing in reality. Especially people with limited or no meteorological knowledge. Starting with the GEFS, every other 12z model run has been encouraging, visually, so you have probably noticed less doom and gloom.

People just need the visual validation to make their optimism have some backing in reality. Especially people with limited or no meteorological knowledge. Starting with the GEFS, every other 12z model run has been encouraging, visually, so you have probably noticed less doom and gloom.

I've learned the hard way that you never put too much stock in one model run and you don't even put too much stock into multiple runs unless its inside of 84hrs and even thats been wrong before. Example 2001 storm. A few mets I know personally are still hesitant to this day to pull the trigger because of that disaster.

The main point all along still remains: and that is we are approaching a set up that yields favorable potential for a storm. All the models still have a storm too, it's just a matter of placement. No one should be giving up, especially now this far out, because of one or even 2 and three models runs. The pattern is what matters most now, and the pattern is still looking decent.

Exactly. I knew there were going to be mood swings with some people but you can't expect the data to lock onto a solution and stay there for 7 days straight. You're going to have runs where the phase is missed, then runs w/ a full phase. If the models become consistent in showing nothing for 2-3 full cycles, then it would be time to worry.

Archived