• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

Not even really close this run...but the potential is still there and the pattern aloft is still good.

I agree, but this has definitely always been a realistic solution with this block in place.....now if it starting cutting to the lakes, it would be easier to write it off given the pattern...

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah-- it just gives some substance to the (legit) fears that this is a fragile and fluid situation, and a 100 mile shift can make it a fish storm lol.

Yeah it's definitely a fragile situation.

I do understand that some enjoy seeing model runs bury us with snow almost as much as snow actually burying us. But for me, seeing models runs hit us 5+ days out does absolutely nothing for me because I see runs change so much when it's longer range. I need it to be a bit closer to the possible event for model runs to excite me. Right now it does not matter to me if the runs show a hit or miss, as long as there is potential in the pattern. Although I did give reasons in this thread earlier today on why I feel the pattern isn't that favorable for us to be hit by a big coastal storm. But there are positives as well, so at least we have some potential and something to watch.

Yeah it's definitely a fragile situation.

I do understand that some enjoy seeing model runs bury us with snow almost as much as snow actually burying us. But for me, seeing models runs hit us 5+ days out does absolutely nothing for me because I see runs change so much when it's longer range. I need it to be a bit closer to the possible event for model runs to excite me. Right now it does not matter to me if the runs show a hit or miss, as long as there is potential in the pattern. Although I did give reasons in this thread earlier today on why I feel the pattern isn't that favorable for us to be hit by a big coastal storm. But there are positives as well, so at least we have some potential and something to watch.

Personally I think a person would go insane hanging on every model run-- all you can do this far out is have the pattern and hope for the best.  But expecting it just opens yourself up to disappointment, which happens the majority of the time.  If it wasnt like that, NYC would average 60 inches of snow a season lol.

Agreed, right now the threat is on the table and there is pretty good model consensus that there will be a storm, I really wouldn't begin to worry about the details such as track, intensity, precipitation types etc. until we are around 72-96hrs away from the event.

never in our lifetimes have models literally not vacillated a wk before an event. If they behaved like that we wouldn't need meteorologists, the models would predict everything correctly. So this is expected and lets just keep everything in perspective and cross our fingers

Great minds think alike?? lol..even if the Euro ensembles are further southeast then the OP I really wouldn't necessarily consider it a red flag this far out, in a few days a different story.

would be nice to see what the ensembles have to say. If they are further SE then the OP that might be a red flag (esp because the 12z which wasn't awful was much further SE than the OP), nothing is this concrete 1 wk out though.

Edit: Looks like we're all on the same page lol

check out p 004 member, that would be epic, it gets going at about hr 180

http://www.meteo.psu...nsloopmref.html

lol retrograde city..anyway, looks like some good support for a storm from the ens.. Its just going to come down to timing of the phase and whether or not this gets shunted ots or up the coast. That euro run was a bummer but i like where we stand right now.

REGARDING SYSTEM DETAILS...THE 00Z GFS CONTAINS THE LEAST AMOUNT

OF FORECAST CONFIDENCE AS EARLY AS DAY 3...WITH SHORTWAVE TROUGH

SOLUTIONS OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST AND NEAR THE CALIFORNIA COAST

WHICH LIE NEAR THE FAST AND STRONG EDGES OF THE SOLUTION ENVELOPE

RESPECTIVELY. THESE DIFFERENCES THEN GROW WITH TIME EVENTUALLY

CONTRIBUTING TO A SOLUTION WHICH FAVORS A MAJOR EAST COAST

SNOWSTORM BY DAYS 6/7. COMPARISONS WITH ALL OTHER DETERMINISTIC

AND ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE...WHICH COMPRISES OVER 100

SOLUTIONS...PLACES THE PROBABILITY OF SUCH AN EVENT AROUND 5

PERCENT. THUS...GIVEN A LACK OF CONFIDENCE IN THE MODEL'S SYSTEM

DETAILS EARLY IN THE PERIOD...ITS SOLUTION IS CURRENTLY DISCARDED.

OTHERWISE...THE 00Z ECMWF AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE 00Z

CANADIAN/00Z UKMET/12Z JMA...PROJECT A MEAN DAY 3-7 PATTERN THAT

CONTAINS LONGER WAVELENGTH AND LESS AMPLITUDE FOR TROUGHS

EVENTUALLY EXITING THE NORTHEAST PACIFIC TROUGH. THIS

BROADER/FLATTER PATTERN...WHICH IS ALSO SUPPORT BY THE GLOBAL

ENSEMBLE MEANS...TELECONNECTS WELL WITH THE UNUSUALLY LARGE

POSITIVE MID-LEVEL HEIGHT ANOMALY FORMING OVER BAFFIN ISLAND IN

CANADA LATE IN THE PERIOD.

JAMES

Since when do they use the JMA? :arrowhead:

Well, don't be worried about the euro run tnt. We are still kinda far away on this big potential storm. Remember, it's all about timing of the s/w trofs and there will def be more runs to come where some guidance time the phasing right, like the gfs tonight, and we get a storm. Other times, like the euro, no phase, no storm. this will go on for a while until we get close enuf in that the timing is better refined. expect a roller coaster ride in the days to come. Bottle the gfs run tonight cause it is a great case where everything popped just right. Doesnt get much better than that run. Kinda scary tho that the GFS has been garbage out this far and as DT said, it's not really great outside of 84 hrs. So the fact that it has the storm this far out is a good sign.

Archived