e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Aurora visible way south tonight

Ian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see anything--my immediate neighbors are gonzo with super bright lights out here in the middle of nowhere.

Ian, you can see them in cities--I've seen them in downtown Minneapolis--but it has to be a really strong storm.

yeah, i bet it was visible here if in the right spot earlier... like on the mall (though clouds were still fairly numerous around 930). oh well.

The color of the aurora depends on the wavelength of the light emitted. This is determined by the specific atmospheric gas and its electrical state, and the energy of the particle that hits the atmospheric gas. The atmosphere consists mainly of nitrogen and oxygen, which emit the characteristic colors of their respective line spectra. Atomic oxygen is responsible for the two main colors of green (wavelength of 557.7 nm) and red (630.0 nm). Nitrogen causes blue and deep red hues.

http://www.webexhibi...ofcolor/4D.html

Most of the auroral features are greenish-yellow, but sometimes the tall rays will turn red at their tops and along their lower edges. On rare occasions, sunlight will hit the top part of the auroral rays to create a faint blue color. On very rare occasions (once every 10 years or so) the aurora can be a deep blood red color from top to bottom. Pink hues may also be seen in the lower area of the aurora. In addition to producing light, the energetic auroral collisions transmit heat. The heat is dissipated by infrared radiation, or transported away by strong winds in the upper atmosphere.

I wonder why it was so far south. eek.. let us know. ;) don't people usually say we need a 9 to get to these latitudes?

I didn't even know it was going on until some farmers called me and someone messaged me on MSN. Normally there is some sort of "heads up" before these events - have seen a few threads on American Weather and the old forum telling everyone to be on the watch.

Soooooo - was this a surprise? Or just missed the heads up

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/index.html

post-77-0-43419100-1319513668.png

i wonder why it was so far south. eek.. let us know. ;) dont people usually say we need a 9 to get to these latitudes?

That KP graph is a global average. The northern lights don't form in perfect solid circles around the magnetic poles so what you see depends on local substorming.

I'm really glad it's raining back home tonight.

I didn't even know it was going on until some farmers called me and someone messaged me on MSN. Normally there is some sort of "heads up" before these events - have seen a few threads on American Weather and the old forum telling everyone to be on the watch.

http://www.swpc.noaa...pmap/index.html

People reporting a glow on the horizon with white aurora here and there for an hour or two before the big spike. Spaceweather.com talks about the hit at 2:00 p.m. -- would guess they had that up earlier. But certainly seems compared to other events lately that produced little of note south of normal areas there was no real news prior.

I can see a faint red milky glow in the north-northwest sky. Nothing compared to Beau's photos (too many lights on campus) but still the first time I can say I've seen the Northern Lights.

Any way to predict these geomagnetic storms more than a few hours in advance? It's on my bucket list to go to North Dakota or into Canada and see a really impressive display of them, but I can't get there from PA or IN on 2 hours notice.

I saw them in the October 2003 episode...but we are screwed here tonight. Woulda gone to a great spot with minimal light pollution to the north otherwise.

Great photos Beau! The one I saw in 2003 looked similar except there were some blues and greens after a while and reds faded and then it was gone.

Pretty hard for anything to surprise us given the copious amount of realtime monitoring currently available... but you have to gather the data yourself. The media usually picks up only a tiny percentage of events so if you use them as your only source, you'll likely miss a lot. This is especially true for the northern states, where you don't need an apocalyptic flare to get action.

People reporting a glow on the horizon with white aurora here and there for an hour or two before the big spike. Spaceweather.com talks about the hit at 2:00 p.m. -- would guess they had that up earlier. But certainly seems compared to other events lately that produced little of note south of normal areas there was no real news prior.

Some people on my Facebook reported the white aurora and glow, as well - interesting.

I missed the fireballs - was watching for those, as well - since there have been some reports the last few nights. Would have been nice to see both at the same time!

Based upon 3 hour Kp at peak of 7- this was a Cat G3 storm. However, it's obvious that there was strong substorming imbedded. We have seen faint aurbos down here in AZ with K values as low as high 6 for 3 hours. The storm WAS a surprise as SWPC did not call for one and when I checked the activity levels it was only a G1 storm so I went for only as high as G2 on my forecast on my homepage. Part of the reason was that this event was NOT caused by a flare triggered CME but rather a CME from a DSF (disappearing filament or an eruptive prominence) and they are harder to evaluate because they don't always cause the strong radio and X-Ray signatures of an energetic flare. Although we can observe the CMEs without other data it's not possible to evaluate their potential until they hit SOHO out about 1 million miles from us which is when we know how strong the impact is. Since the shock was travelling about 2 milliom mph this meant 30 minutes warning. Also, a 6 hour plus delay between the shock passage (which occurred around 18Z) and storm peak is not common as the first peak usually occurs during the onset phase of the storm and not the main phase.

Steve

Archived