snowNH

A. Boxing Day

B. Jan 12

C. June 1

D. Irene

E. Jan 26

F. Tulip Trouncer

Go.

That's going to be subjective to how they impacted people. I suppose from a met standpoint from 1 to 6 with 6 being least eventful...

1) June 1st tornado. I ranked this first due to the rarity and area this impacted.

2) Irene. Widespread impact across SNE of wind and rain, despite not overly destructive for most.

3) Boxing Day. This is really close to Jan 12th imo, but the combo intensity and dynamic nature of this storm put it ahead of Jan 12. Obviously, Jan 12 storm had more snowfall across SNE in general.

4) Jan 12 storm

5) Jan 26 storm

6) April 1st snow

For me...

1. Irene

I have never experienced a 'cane before so the anticipation in the model runs was awesome. The obs were awesome as well. The aftermath was meh for up here...

2. Boxing Day

Best model thread I have EVER experienced was that night where everything trended perfectly and tip, scott, will and ryan were literally forced to drink. The storm obs were meh for here. Aftermath was meh too.

3. Jan 12

Probably the best snowstorm of the year here. The model threads were awesome before the storm. Just a classic noreaster. It freaking ripped snow. I couldn't get into my driveway after.

4. June 1

The model thread was great before thanks to wiz. I still remember watching the tornado hit live on NECN, that was freaking awesome. I never saw any aftermath except for some photos.

5. April 1st

Model runs of an april snow event are great. Storm was meh though

6. Jan 26

Probably the second best snow event of the year for me. Although for some reason, I don't really remember it? It put my snow pack to record depths which was awesome.

A. Boxing Day

B. Jan 12

C. June 1

D. Irene

E. Jan 26

F. Tulip Trouncer

Or if you have other events, you can add. I'm thinking we base it off of three categories...

1. Pre Storm discussion

2. Obs.

3. Aftermath.

For me...in order of overall experience, storm/discussion/etc.

1. Jan 12...and its not even close imo

2. June 1

3. Jan 26

4. Irene

5. Boxing Day

6. Toulip Trouncer

In terms of discussion leading up to the event on here:

Jan 12th wins by a long shot.

In terms of real time obs/tracking:

June 1st wins easily

Aftermath:

Depends on where you were...June 1st was by far the most destructive at any one point. Irene was the most disruptive over the region as a whole.

June 1st gets the award by a long shot! I was just coming back from watching a storm in Northampton it was one of the best ive ever seen very large hail and crazy wind! I got to about exit 13 which is the exit to riverdale rd and noticed the sky was nothing like ive ever seen before.. Got to exit 12 and the warning came over the radio for the tornado warning and they went live saying how it was in west springfield about to cross the river and i was looking all over for it as i was driving then i noticed it was right in front of me i stopped and pulled to the side of the rd i ended up getting front row view from 91 north after it crossed i raced to the 291 on ramp and watched it move threw downtown springfield it was amazing and something i will never forget the cracked windshield was worth it!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

A. Boxing Day

B. Jan 12

C. June 1

D. Irene

E. Jan 26

F. Tulip Trouncer

Or if you have other events, you can add. I'm thinking we base it off of three categories...

1. Pre Storm discussion

2. Obs.

3. Aftermath.

While the January 12th and January 26th winter storm events were absolutely incredible, not only from a storm standpoint but from the interaction within the threads and all the discussion leading up to it storms like this do happen every so often and are a bit higher than uncommon. With this said June 1st will have to take the cake, something like that does NOT happen in this area too often.

Let's rank!

#1- June 1st, 2011 tornado outbreak

Southern New England sees it's "fair share" of tornadoes, the region as a whole sees on average about 11-13 tornadoes per year. However, strong and violent tornadoes are not too common in this region. In fact most of our tornadoes are usually rated in the (E)F 0 to (E)F 1 range. Every so often you see an F2 but anything above that...not really. In fact, you have to go all the way back to May 29th, 1995 to have a tornado rated higher than a 2 occur in southern New England. The tornado which tracked from West Springfield all the way through Monson tracked a total of 39 miles, the longest tracked documented tornado in southern New England, beating out the Worcester tornado of 1953! This tornado was rated as a high end EF3, making it the strongest tornado rating wise since the F4 in Great Barrington in 1995. While since the 1953 tornado the region has had 3 F4's (two in CT; one in MA) this was the most devastating tornado since the Worcester tornado of 1953, beating out the Windsor Locks tornado in 1979.

#2- January 12th, 2011

Just an absolute monster of a storm! This storm had it all, record snowfall totals, thunder/lightning, some wind. This storm proved the theory wrong that you can't get KU's in a mod/strong Nina...well oops. Multiple locations received over 20'' of snow from this system and this storm ranks number 1 at BDL for snowfall from a single storm beating out Feb '06. This was an absolute classic as a very deep closed off H5 low with a nicely negatively tilted trough allowed for very slow movement of the system.

#3- Irene

Sure Irene perhaps didn't have the widespread significant wind speeds that were thought at one point but boy did she do damage, especially along the coastal communities and for areas that were near rivers or streams. First direct hit in about 20 years from a hurricane. Destruction totaling in the hundreds of millions of dollars across the entire region and causing record setting power outages up the entire east coast. Impacts from Irene will felt weeks after and even months for some.

#4- January 26th

Another epic winter storm and occurring just weeks after the major blockbuster. This storm left some areas nearly paralyzed and lead to some incredible snow depths across much of the region and even setting some places in record setting territory for snow depth.

#5- Tulip Trouncer

Fun late season event for those lucky enough to get the goods.

#6- Boxing Day Storm.

Meh...was such a weird storm with a ton of gradients and horrible measuring (cough/cough:BDL cough/cough)

Archived