• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tape Review

deltadog03

Good Morning my SE friends and family!!!! I hope the weather is getting a little better for yall!! I see that some much needed cooler weather is heading down that way as well. In fact, most of yall, will be cooler than me out here in WYO. Anyway, I wanted some feedback from yall, if you don't mind. I have about 5 months left on my contract and I will be looking for another job soon. I would love some feedback on a sample of my work....

Thanks

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdk6MK17is

Good Morning my SE friends and family!!!! I hope the weather is getting a little better for yall!! I see that some much needed cooler weather is heading down that way as well. In fact, most of yall, will be cooler than me out here in WYO. Anyway, I wanted some feedback from yall, if you don't mind. I have about 5 months left on my contract and I will be looking for another job soon. I would love some feedback on a sample of my work....

Thanks

Chris

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=scdk6MK17is

You look/sound great Chris :thumbsup:

Maybe I should go visit my BIL in Rock Springs :lol: the weather looks beautiful ;)

Thanks

Chris

Great job Chris! I bet it's fun forecasting for an entire state! I really enjoyed the flow of your weathercast and could probably learn a thing or two from you ;) I really like how conversational you are. I also loved how you put the spaghetti plot on the official forecast track to give viewers a sense of the uncertainty in the track. I'd say you'd get another job after a bit of searching, what else do you expect in this business. ;) Keep up the great work!!

First of all....and you know this....If you want to move up you are going to have to lose some significant weight...No way around it. There are always examples of people who can get away with it but it is very rare. But if you really want it, you will find a way. And yes...it kept me from pursuing TV at your age so I know it is not an easy thing to deal with.

Second...Work on your delivery. You have a very good voice and you don't "um, uh" very much which is good. Figuring out how to say things in a brevity of words though will really help your delivery. Verbal crutches such as "south and southwest" and "east and southeast" don't really make a whole lot of sense. There are other verbal crutches in there and if you listen carefully you will hear them. They are filler words which distract from the message...One of the things we are taught even in executive presentations is work on telling a story from beginning to end...You appear to have a tendency to get distracted from your message and repeat yourself such as the segue from the today forecast to the 7 day forecast...It will flow better if you think of it as telling a group of friends this great story you have just witnessed or heard.

Lastly.....you seem to get lost in front of the screen a couple of times. You would be better off not moving as much if you are going to lose your place but this will probably smooth out with experience anyway....and your current market is probably a good place to work on it some...

Thank You Mr. Bob.....Crutch phrases are def. the hardest thing to not use when dealing with talking from the brain. I really appreciate you taking the time to review my tape. The weight thing, I am certainly working on. The flow is pretty easy for me, I think, but when the weather is boring, sometimes its very difficult. Long story short, I can def. improve. Again, I thank you for giving me some really good feedback.

I've got to give you props for just asking for the feedback. And I'm sure the professional type advice thusfar will be useful. But from a laymans point of view, I think your presense is great, and I enjoyed watching the clip, and was impressed. I can see you in a larger market for sure. Easy for me to say since no one sees me as I telecommute from my basement, but I don't see body size as a determinant. You seem pretty fit to me and that you could whip some you know what if you needed to. I would have no problem watching you tell the weather. All I can say is be the best you that you can be, and with your attitude I am sure that will happen. I always enjoy reading your posts and I don't see why you won't reach your dreams.

Thank You Mr. Bob.....Crutch phrases are def. the hardest thing to not use when dealing with talking from the brain. I really appreciate you taking the time to review my tape. The weight thing, I am certainly working on. The flow is pretty easy for me, I think, but when the weather is boring, sometimes its very difficult. Long story short, I can def. improve. Again, I thank you for giving me some really good feedback.

No problem...I believe you have the tools to get there which is pretty important in this field but as with anything, determination and hardwork are the keys to it. Feel free to pass along any video in the future...

As for the fillers, you can watch many of the TWC mets use them too...I think the key is to get rid of the most obvious ones like the double directional one. One you will hear quite frequently (you were not doing these) that hurts my ears is "back down across"...another annoying one is "working its way across" ...what the hell does that mean???? And the TWC mets are famous for "It's only going to get worse before it gets better..." in their hurricane coverage...I do think it is helpful to sit and critique them yourself to see if you can find things that might help you. Anyone who is good in their field usually picks things up from the "experts" along the way.

And don't let this trip you up...don't be overly cognizant as you do want to maintain your flow without ums and uhs...fillers are definitely better than those! When you critique your own, just find one obvious tendency and try to work on it some until it is gone.

No problem...I believe you have the tools to get there which is pretty important in this field but as with anything, determination and hardwork are the keys to it. Feel free to pass along any video in the future...

As for the fillers, you can watch many of the TWC mets use them too...I think the key is to get rid of the most obvious ones like the double directional one. One you will hear quite frequently (you were not doing these) that hurts my ears is "back down across"...another annoying one is "working its way across" ...what the hell does that mean???? And the TWC mets are famous for "It's only going to get worse before it gets better..." in their hurricane coverage...I do think it is helpful to sit and critique them yourself to see if you can find things that might help you. Anyone who is good in their field usually picks things up from the "experts" along the way.

And don't let this trip you up...don't be overly cognizant as you do want to maintain your flow without ums and uhs...fillers are definitely better than those! When you critique your own, just find one obvious tendency and try to work on it some until it is gone.

It's a continuous struggle to get rid of "fillers". I used to say "as well" or "right now" A LOT! Now.... I say "early on this (blank) morning"... My chief tells me to go a tad slower and attempt to think about what you're going to say and it will cut down on fillers. That's the biggest thing I have to get used to, that it's OKAY to take a pause every once in a while. I'm finishing up my first year on air, so I may have to have everyone critique some of my stuff too ;)

As with anything in life; if you want to reach the top, you have to put in the blood, sweat and tears. Nothing is ever easy. If it is, then you must not be working hard enough ;)

Good luck on your future job hunt Delta and keep us up to date!

It's a continuous struggle to get rid of "fillers". I used to say "as well" or "right now" A LOT! Now.... I say "early on this (blank) morning"... My chief tells me to go a tad slower and attempt to think about what you're going to say and it will cut down on fillers. That's the biggest thing I have to get used to, that it's OKAY to take a pause every once in a while. I'm finishing up my first year on air, so I may have to have everyone critique some of my stuff too ;)

As with anything in life; if you want to reach the top, you have to put in the blood, sweat and tears. Nothing is ever easy. If it is, then you must not be working hard enough ;)

Good luck on your future job hunt Delta and keep us up to date!

That is definitely one thing to mess around with....The pause....It seems like when you pause, you feel like time is going at warp speed...but you would be amazed at how little time has passed...the best ones know how to use it well...

A point of view from someone who doesn't have any media or weather experience - I lost the suspension of disbelief when you were in front of the screen - meaning, I know that you are not looking at the screen but a monitor instead - but it seemed like the placement of the monitor or you made you crane your neck to see the monitor. Or in other words, it didn't appear that you were reading the screen...

A very small point to make in the midst of a great forecast. I found myself watching the whole thing, even though I am in NC!

Thanks for sharing your work-

• 1 month later...

Alright my friends.....I have the final copy of my tape. I would loooove to hear what yall think, once again. Mr. Bob (paging you too). I can't thank yall enough for the advice and criticisms...There is a job in Huntsville, AL that I am thinking about applying for. Thanks again everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1uNhqo7V-Y

Alright my friends.....I have the final copy of my tape. I would loooove to hear what yall think, once again. Mr. Bob (paging you too). I can't thank yall enough for the advice and criticisms...There is a job in Huntsville, AL that I am thinking about applying for. Thanks again everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1uNhqo7V-Y

I think it looks good Chris! One can tell you are comfortable in front of the camera and have the ability to articulate a forecast very well. That is a rarity sometimes with on air mets as you will find some who are good with the camera, but don't know how to communicate their forecast to the viewers, and vice-versa. Only thing that caught my ear, and it was at the beginning was the word "folks." We have a few mets here in the east, especially the newer ones who use that word way too much. Other than that it looks great man, can't wait for you to get your butt back to the SE, and good luck with the AL job if you decide to apply.

This video along with the last video were both good from my perspective. Much better and longer than what we get down here around Columbia, SC.

Archived