• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2010 mid atalntic monthly departure thread

Midlo Snow Maker

Looks like even with the relative warm-up here at the end of the month, December temperatures will wind up below normal (even well below) in the DC area for the first time since...drum roll, please...February of this year! Yes, at DCA at least, every month from March through November was above to well above normal.

As cold as this month has been, I have not forgotten how awful it felt to swelter in the seemingly never-ending mid 90s to 100s this past summer.

Looks like even with the relative warm-up here at the end of the month, December temperatures will wind up below normal (even well below) in the DC area for the first time since...drum roll, please...February of this year! Yes, at DCA at least, every month from March through November was above to well above normal.

As cold as this month has been, I have not forgotten how awful it felt to swelter in the seemingly never-ending mid 90s to 100s this past summer.

Summer 2010 was a pure hell I would not wish on my worst enemy. It was absolutely horrid. Summer just sucks goat balls. What we need is a full out Maunder Minimum.

Summer 2010 was a pure hell I would not wish on my worst enemy. It was absolutely horrid. Summer just sucks goat balls. What we need is a full out Maunder Minimum.

Amen times ten to that, Jebman! I've been in this area since 2001, and I think this is the worst of all the summers I've experienced so far here. And I'll even include several summers before that when I lived in Atlanta, GA.

The epitome of this past summer for me was a softball double-header I had around the last weekend of July, which pretty well corresponded to the hottest weekend of the year. Games were played in the mid to late morning, and it was in the upper 90s already at the start of the first game, along with blazing sun with nary a cloud. I had two 1-liter bottles of water with me and loads of sunscreen. The water barely lasted me by the time the games were done. Well, to make matters worse, we got pummeled in each game and since I play in the outfield, I was running a lot! I'm only glad that someone brought along a case of nice, chilled beer to enjoy between and after the games!

With luck, your famous "Jebman shovel" will get much use this winter, at least a couple of times!!:)

Amen times ten to that, Jebman! I've been in this area since 2001, and I think this is the worst of all the summers I've experienced so far here. And I'll even include several summers before that when I lived in Atlanta, GA.

The epitome of this past summer for me was a softball double-header I had around the last weekend of July, which pretty well corresponded to the hottest weekend of the year. Games were played in the mid to late morning, and it was in the upper 90s already at the start of the first game, along with blazing sun with nary a cloud. I had two 1-liter bottles of water with me and loads of sunscreen. The water barely lasted me by the time the games were done. Well, to make matters worse, we got pummeled in each game and since I play in the outfield, I was running a lot! I'm only glad that someone brought along a case of nice, chilled beer to enjoy between and after the games!

With luck, your famous "Jebman shovel" will get much use this winter, at least a couple of times!!:)

The summer of 1995 was very hot and extremely humid. July 15 1995 the high was 101 degrees with a dewpoint of 85 degrees. It was so damned hot that on my jebwalk I was forced to crawl into a culvert because I nearly passed out. To make matters worse - my ac was on the fritz that summer - I spent a lot of time in superheated public pools to try and cool off. It was a unique experience to get out of the warm pool and 'cool off' in the "trade winds" lol. That night it was still 95 degrees at 11pm with a dewpoint of 81 degrees. It was effin' hot. We got royally screwed by the pooch that summer. However the following winter we were handsomely compensated here in the Mid Atl with the Blizzard of '96, among other great snows. The Jebman shovel got a lot of working out.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Through 12/30, RIC sits at a monthly average of 33.0 degrees, which isttied with December 2000 as the 6th coldest December on record since 1897. With today being closer to normal, it's possible we finish with 33.1 or 33.2 degrees which would put us at 7th coldest. Overall, a pretty impressive December for both snow and cold as the month finishes as the 11th snowiest December on record.

IAD finishes with -5.1....looks like the warm high temps at the end of the month got somewhat muted by the low temps. I said earlier this fall that I thought it looked like the low temps were dropping lower than in recent years....it always seemed to me that the high departures of recent years were more due to higher low temps vs. really high max temps.

Anyway sure does look like January could have some impressive negative departures as well if the models are correct.

Archived