• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Below are some pics from the Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs from yesterday. Some of the pics are from early in the event, others later. I was out for a conference and departed late yesterday afternoon, probably less than 1/4 mile visibility for the drive to the airport. COS was a mess with all the associated delays I was really lucky to get out.

Was 78*F when I landed Monday afternoon...met some colleagues on the golf course. What a difference 36 hours makes in Colorado!

post-407-0-73967200-1319743113.jpg

post-407-0-28747800-1319743122.jpg

post-407-0-60779600-1319743131.jpg

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope everyone is ready for round 2! scooter.gif

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

316 AM MDT FRI OCT 28 2011

THINGS START TO GET INTERESTING WITH THE NEXT SYSTEM. THE GFS IS STRONGER WITH THE NEXT TROUGH. THE COLD FRONT IS PROGGED TO MOVE THROUGH IN THE AFTN WITH UPSLOPE DEVELOPING TO AROUND 750 MB AND MODERATE QG ASCENT OVER NERN CO. IN ADDITION...A 110+ KT (N-S ORIENTED) JET MAX IS PROGGED TO SLIDE ACROSS NRN CO TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...SO BANDED ENHANCED SNOWFALL NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION. IN ADDITION...THE CANADIAN MDL (GEM) TAKES THINGS A STEP FURTHER WITH A CLOSED 500 MB LOW WOUND UP OVER THE 4 CORNERS REGION BY 12Z WEDNESDAY. WL NOT GO NUTS WITH THE DAY 5/6 GRIDS BUT IT MAY BE PRUDENT TO BUMP UP THE POPS AND SEE IF THE MDLS CAN MAINTAIN THIS TREND.

I don't want to be an annoyance guys/gals, and I know you have a regular routine, but with the next storm, let's try starting a storm thread for it. Now that we are here alone without the influence of the Lakes, we should start more storm oriented threads for regional threats.

Sounds good to me. Generally we just don't have enough posters to keep more than one thread going at a time, but maybe that will change this winter. :)

This morning was quite cold again in spots. Greeley set a record low with 10.

I don't want to be an annoyance guys/gals, and I know you have a regular routine, but with the next storm, let's try starting a storm thread for it. Now that we are here alone without the influence of the Lakes, we should start more storm oriented threads for regional threats.

I agree B_I. If we have a thread where all can participate in our region, the activity will increase. Obs can stay in the local threads.

Great idea! i've always been an advocate of sub forums and getting rid of the super regional threads. Glad to finally separate from the Lakes. No pun intended to them, but the central/western forum was starting to get way too cluttered.

Below are some pics from the Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs from yesterday. Some of the pics are from early in the event, others later. I was out for a conference and departed late yesterday afternoon, probably less than 1/4 mile visibility for the drive to the airport. COS was a mess with all the associated delays I was really lucky to get out.

Was 78*F when I landed Monday afternoon...met some colleagues on the golf course. What a difference 36 hours makes in Colorado!

Thanks for posting pics and chiming in, John! Had no idea you were in the area. :D

I agree B_I. If we have a thread where all can participate in our region, the activity will increase. Obs can stay in the local threads.

Great idea! i've always been an advocate of sub forums and getting rid of the super regional threads. Glad to finally separate from the Lakes. No pun intended to them, but the central/western forum was starting to get way too cluttered.

Agreed fully. Not to mention it would be great for folks to get to know each other better. I will even admit I don't know some of the local subforum posters.

Thanks for posting pics and chiming in, John! Had no idea you were in the area. :D

Thanks Anthony. It seems I don't stay in any one place for more than a few days anymore. This was my first ever trip to COS though, had a great time.

Managed to pick up a slushy 1"-2" back home in Loudoun today...what a memorable wx week in October!

What a difference one run makes. 12Z GFS is just a tick faster with the cold front and a tick slower with the upper wave...and also a tick deeper and more consolidated. This forces stronger low level upslope into the entire front range and effectively doubles to triples some of the precip values with the next storm. Models will have sensitivity issues to the timing of the "cutoff", so large discrepancies will still remain for another day, but it is worth watching.

I am seeing the 12z ECMWF show some snow in the northern Colorado area on Tuesday after 06z to 21z (Monday night-Tuesday mid-day.) I saw this on http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ 90 hours to 105 hours. This may be worth discussing this in the next few days. The GFS has the QPF south of I-70. The GFS has a slightly more open 500mb trough than the ECMWF- it doesn't have a closed circulation.

Alright you CO guys, I want your opinion on this. Now that we have more freedom in the region, I am looking to merge our many sub-regional threads into larger discussions. It would be a nice way to consolidate things, and it would be great for potential growth. I need some ideas from you guys. A very broad sub-regional name could be the all encompassing "Mountain West" thread, or we could go with smaller sections, but I really want to start seeing more participation from other mountain states here.

I'm a newbie, so my vote doesn't really count, but I don't see why not. I don't know that it'll make much difference though because other than the Colorado people and the person or two from Utah, I don't think we have any posters from other "Mountain West" areas.

I'm a newbie, so my vote doesn't really count, but I don't see why not. I don't know that it'll make much difference though because other than the Colorado people and the person or two from Utah, I don't think we have any posters from other "Mountain West" areas.

Well that is the whole point ;) We are looking for growth.

Alright you CO guys, I want your opinion on this. Now that we have more freedom in the region, I am looking to merge our many sub-regional threads into larger discussions. It would be a nice way to consolidate things, and it would be great for potential growth. I need some ideas from you guys. A very broad sub-regional name could be the all encompassing "Mountain West" thread, or we could go with smaller sections, but I really want to start seeing more participation from other mountain states here.

I think its a good idea. A mountain west thread would be a great idea. I know at first I didn't post much because there was no sub thread that included me I just had to insert myself in. This will make it a more friendly environment. I don't know what you are thinking about for other subthreads though.

I think it's a good idea. However, many westerners are already loyal to posting on this site. There's a really good base of posters there and I do know several from here, including tacoman25, that are active there as well. It was certainly the place to be when EUS exisited.

I am an administrator over there but the thing I like about this site is the wealth of knowledgable people. So I come here too.

Archived