joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goodness....downslope windstorm today in the northern SLC Valley area. https://www.facebook...pe=2&permPage=1

Peak wind gust here in Provo was only 44mph, a lot of people didn't even know anything interesting was happening! But outside of this uninteresting place it was amazing. Highest I heard of was 102mph in Boutiful but there were many reports of 80-90mph gusts all along the northern wasatch front. East of SLC lots of gusts from 60-70mph as well. Lots of trees down and damage to structures even.

I probably had about 3" at the most where I live. However, about 10-15 miles to the south, there was hardly any accumulation. South of there in the heart of COS, there wasn't more than a coating, which all melted away. With the freezing fog overnight, woke up to a pretty spectacular view with all the ice crystals on the trees.

Looks like another light to mod event Sun night/Mon, and again on Thu! You guys are really hogging all the snow and cold so far this season. :snowman:

It's somewhat unusual to have so many upslope snow events for eastern CO during a Nina.

Yeah... As much as I like snow I wish it would snow up in the mountains at the ski resorts where it'd be a bit more useful. Been pretty dry up there while we've been getting these snows. Luckily it's been cold, so they've been making snow, but you can't make snow everywhere...

We got another 6-7 inches of snow with the last storm in Boulder. I walked from my place just up to the edge of the foothills and depths varied from about 10" to 15" right near the hills. We're forecast to get another 4-8" tonight. Loving this pattern! And yeah, completely unexpected given the La Nina!

I don't think this storm tonight will amount to much, except for the foothills and places further west like Boulder and Golden. And down by the Palmer Divide. Wouldn't surprise me if DEN gets less than 1"...up to this point they've actually done decent, with 8.7" for the month and almost 22" on the season. Almost what they had all of 2010-11!

I don't think this storm tonight will amount to much, except for the foothills and places further west like Boulder and Golden. And down by the Palmer Divide. Wouldn't surprise me if DEN gets less than 1"...up to this point they've actually done decent, with 8.7" for the month and almost 22" on the season. Almost what they had all of 2010-11!

Amazing how dry last year was, and how warm early. The ponds around us are freezing over a good 3-4 weeks earlier than last year. I think we got about 2-3 snowfalls >4" all winter last year and already we've had 4 this year! Now if Aurora would only plow, or at least dump a little sand, things would be good.

Very light snow now, 18/10.

I had 5.9 degrees at my house this morning.

CSU: low 4.9, high 11.1

Christman Field: low -4.2, high 9.6

Fort Collins-Loveland Airport, low 1.4F, high 10.4F (-17C, -12C)

Fort Collins-Loveland Airport yesterday (Sunday): low -11C (12.2F)

Greeley Today

-12C, -19C (-2.2F)

Greeley yesterday (Sunday)

-3C, -16C

Greeley Saturday

-2C, -14C

Greeley Friday

-2C. -16C

Awesome vid of rotor clouds in the SLC Valley during the high wind event. http://www.inscc.uta...012011_long.mov

Dr. Steenburgh is the chairman of the met department at U of U I believe.

Hey I actually saw that going on above Provo too and I was wondering what was going on up there. Now I know!

We picked up a 1/4 inch of very fine power snow last night, low of 16. Made it to 31 and any snow in the sun melted. Its down to 22 now, probably around 10 tonight. I hope to make it to single digets.

I had 5.9 degrees at my house this morning.

CSU: low 4.9, high 11.1

Christman Field: low -4.2, high 9.6

Fort Collins-Loveland Airport, low 1.4F, high 10.4F (-17C, -12C)

Fort Collins-Loveland Airport yesterday (Sunday): low -11C (12.2F)

Greeley Today

-12C, -19C (-2.2F)

Greeley yesterday (Sunday)

-3C, -16C

Greeley Saturday

-2C, -14C

Greeley Friday

-2C. -16C

Erie fell to -13 this morning: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEIK/2011/12/06/DailyHistory.html

Only -4 at DEN, -6 in my backyard.

Broomfield-Jeffco

KBJC 060346Z 00000KT 07SM BCFC FEW010 SCT030 M17/M19 A3020

KBJC 060252Z 30003KT 15SM BCFG FEW013 FEW030 M16/M19 A3021

Patches of Fog -16C

Patches of Funnel Clouds. -17C

Everybody seek shelter!!!

THAT was snort my coffee funny. :)

-4 at my house this AM. Last night coming home from work crossing the Cherry Creek Dam the moon illuminated some fantastic sea smoke (or whatever they call it inland) on the lake. This AM there was new ice covering most of the lake. Last year it was Jan 10th before this happened!

Archived