• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
TS Nate

Nate has actually gained a decent amount of latitude... Much more than the GFS was predicting. Once again it appears the ECWMF is in the drivers seat.

Yep, it still needs to gain at least 2 degrees in latitude (I don't really expect it, but would be a nice surprise), to avoid the near coast mountains at 20N, because of the probable WSW motion before LF.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the shear over the system is nearly Nil, yet convection still has not been able to fire near the center. All it needs is a semi-big burst of convection to occur to mix out the dry air that has been advected into the circulation, and it can start developing again. However, the convection that has been occurring near the center has not been able to fill up the entire cyclonic circulation, so dry air on the edges of the circulation have been infiltrating the center and preventing development.

Given the current trends, I think it might be a good 12-18 hours before this system gets its convection re-established. I think this BOC case is a lot more unique than most other systems in this area because of the magnitude of the dry air that has been in the Gulf of Mexico, which is of record low TPW value for this time of year.

j9qxoy.gif

Given the current trends, I think it might be a good 12-18 hours before this system gets its convection re-established. I think this BOC case is a lot more unique than most other systems in this area because of the magnitude of the dry air that has been in the Gulf of Mexico, which is of record low TPW value for this time of year.

Agreed, and that's what I was trying to say several days ago... if it can get a well-defined, symmetric, persistent core going, it can fend off the dry air. But given just how dry the air is, it's very tough for the storm to get a foothold. It seems to be part of the reason Nate is so small, but that could end up being a benefit for the system if it can really get going.

Agreed, and that's what I was trying to say several days ago... if it can get a well-defined, symmetric, persistent core going, it can fend off the dry air. But given just how dry the air is, it's very tough for the storm to get a foothold. It seems to be part of the reason Nate is so small, but that could end up being a benefit for the system if it can really get going.

I still think its going to get to the stage where the core is moist enough, but its only been in a low enough shear environment for the last 12-18 hours to support this theory. Beforehand, we had easterly shear which actually increased the net inflow from the west side of the circulation, which allowed all this advection of the exceptionally dry air occur beforehand. I think I underestimated its staying power considering how its of record magnitude and would take longer than normal to mix out.

I still think its going to get to the stage where the core is moist enough, but its only been in a low enough shear environment for the last 12-18 hours to support this theory. Beforehand, we had easterly shear which actually increased the net inflow from the west side of the circulation, which allowed all this advection of the exceptionally dry air occur beforehand. I think I underestimated its staying power considering how its of record magnitude and would take longer than normal to mix out.

Sounds reasonable to me. :arrowhead:

Weaker and losing latitude... and as dry as a husk on IR. lolz

While I think the chances for major hurricane have decreased, that's mainly just due to the fact its running on limited time. The convection will come back, it just is a matter of how long it will take to mix the dry air from the center.

Wow, the shear over the system is nearly Nil, yet convection still has not been able to fire near the center. All it needs is a semi-big burst of convection to occur to mix out the dry air that has been advected into the circulation, and it can start developing again. However, the convection that has been occurring near the center has not been able to fill up the entire cyclonic circulation, so dry air on the edges of the circulation have been infiltrating the center and preventing development.

I wouldn't be surprised. That dry air over the Gulf is impressive, especially considering the fact that it is occurring in the absence of some massive continent-sweeping cold front.

I'm having trouble finding much positive omega over the N. Gulf, but CIMSS analysis is suggesting that there is some large-scale descent over the region (UL convergence, LL divergence). So adiabatic descent is probably a large culprit.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the drought over TX is exacerbating the issue. Persistent northerly wind trajectories the last few days is really bringing in that "drought airmass" (low evapotranspiration + too dry for convection over TX keeps it drier downstream).

Looks like PWATS in the N. Gulf were between -4 and -5 sigma at yesterday's 00Z analysis (-5.77 sigma over MX!), so a rare occurrence indeed.

post-378-0-12424100-1315602915.gif

Thanks for the image... do you happen to know where you found that? Certainly seems like this dry air is remarkably anomalous for that region for this particular time of the year.

Ultimately, I think Nate will be able to overcome the dry air, but its going to take its sweet time doing so. The convection firing up this afternoon diurnal convective minimum is the first sign its starting to get back on track, and I think we will see convection return in earnest tonight during the diurnal max.

Thanks for the image... do you happen to know where you found that? Certainly seems like this dry air is remarkably anomalous for that region for this particular time of the year.

Ultimately, I think Nate will be able to overcome the dry air, but its going to take its sweet time doing so. The convection firing up this afternoon diurnal convective minimum is the first sign its starting to get back on track, and I think we will see convection return in earnest tonight during the diurnal max.

Here:

http://eyewall.met.psu.edu/rich/gefs/

Excellent! It looks like progressing forward in time, the severe negative anomaly is expected to modify pretty quickly, in that by 24 hours most of the Bay of Campeche is around average, although this is the SREF so I don't know how accurate it is in that part of the domain.

At 8 pm, Tropical Storm Nate was centered at 20.1N 92.9W with maximum sustained winds of 50 mph. During the course of the day, Nate has moved very little. However, overnight and tomorrow, it should begin to drift, westward and perhaps a little to the north, as well. However, as ridging redevelops, it will likely turn west-southwest and then southwest ahead of landfall. Given its closer proximity to the southern edge of the Bay of Campeche, I have lowered my estimate for its strength at landfall. Nonetheless, I still believe Nate will likely be a Category 1 hurricane when it makes landfall, which is stronger than the model consensus. However, there is a chance that it could make landfall as a strong tropical storm (the model consensus keeps Nate a tropical storm).

Nate's Trajectory: 12-Hour Period Ended:

9/9 11 am: 330°

9/9 2 pm: 293°

9/9 5 pm: 279°

9/9 8 pm: 279°

6-Hour Motion: 315°

24-Hour Motion: 296°

The models are now in very close agreement concerning Nate's track to landfall. There remain some modest differences, with the GFS perhaps a tad south of the model consensus while the NAM is to the north of the consensus. Overall, my revised track takes Nate ashore near Nautla, Mexico.

Estimated Track:

20.2N 94.0W

20.3N 96.0W

20.0N 98.0W

19.4N 100.0W

Estimated Point of Landfall:

Just south of: 20.2N 96.7W

Intensity at Landfall:

Maximum sustained winds: 75 mph

Excellent! It looks like progressing forward in time, the severe negative anomaly is expected to modify pretty quickly, in that by 24 hours most of the Bay of Campeche is around average, although this is the SREF so I don't know how accurate it is in that part of the domain.

You can actually change it (drop-down button on the left-hand side) from SREF to GEFS to get the GFS ensemble, with is quite a bit better than the SREF.

The cyclone tonight looks nothing like I would have expected 24 hr ago. In place of the tight little core last night, we have this yawning chasm in the middle, framed by a couple of hefty feeder bands. Wtf happened? How did a system with all that hawt microcane potential turn into this stretched-out old hag of a cyclone overnight? Just puzzled.

The cyclone tonight looks nothing like I would have expected 24 hr ago. In place of the tight little core last night, we have this yawning chasm in the middle, framed by a couple of hefty feeder bands. Wtf happened? How did a system with all that hawt microcane potential turn into this stretched-out old hag of a cyclone overnight? Just puzzled.

All of these W Gulf systems have been huge disappointments this year... using the climo rapid spin up prior to landfall has been a major bust this year.

All of these W Gulf systems have been huge disappointments this year... using the climo rapid spin up prior to landfall has been a major bust this year.

I still think is going to pull some Lorenzo 2007 crap before landfall but yea I'm very surprised is still looks like crap. The upper level wind shear is certainly low and I honestly don't think there has been too much upwelling. axesmiley.pngaxesmiley.pngaxesmiley.png I still think the culprit is the super dry air that got into the system yesterday which was 4-5 standard deviations below normal. That obviously has prevented deep convection from forming near the center which has created a "gutted" appearance similar to a system that has upwelled alot of cool water.

This is a good lesson learned here with Nate because I don't think I've ever seen such dry air get into a system before. I mean at one point PWATs across areas in the deep south were .2-.3" which is insanely low. You just can't get convection to form in that sort of dry air environment. This air got into Nate when the easterly shear was higher on Wednesday and Thursday.

Archived