• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pictures of Baltimore's 5 Alarm fire on 'The Block'

This is not entirely weather, but this huge fire was impressive on our HD Weathernet Cam looking northeast from the Maryland Science Center across The Inner Harbor. Wind gusted to 44 mph with average wind speed of 17.3 mph all day. This was one of the windiest days of the year. The Blizzard on Feb 10 had a wind gust of 46 mph, but average wind speed of 17.1 mph for the entire day.

See the entire album posted here on myfacebook public fan page.

148278_474598948475_54875673475_5651809_811607_n.jpg

For anyone that doesn't know, The Block is Baltimore's red light district. Here's the Quote of the Day (seriously) that I read from another news agency:

" "They were pretty much naked as can be. Girls were running out with things jiggling, and they ran across the street to get dressed. Some of them were getting dressed right out front real fast," one witness said. "

Keeping it weather related, I think it was Clark Griswald that said, "Whew, it sure is nipply in here."

Another 5 alarm fire currently being worked on in Mount Vernon on Madison Street. I work 2 blocks north from there on Charles and there is a slight haze of smoke outside my office window. The fire has been burning since 130am, wind is not helping at all. Also I heard on the radio that due to the cold temps the water has been freezing and causing quite the ice problem around the building.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

Another 5 alarm fire currently being worked on in Mount Vernon on Madison Street. I work 2 blocks north from there on Charles and there is a slight haze of smoke outside my office window. The fire has been burning since 130am, wind is not helping at all. Also I heard on the radio that due to the cold temps the water has been freezing and causing quite the ice problem around the building.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

Hey mapgirl. I work in the 100 block of N. Charles and walk over lunch all the time up your way and past to the train station and back for exercise. Sad to see that building go, there were two active restaurants and I think full tenancy in the office building above in a beautiful neighborhood.

As for the fire yesterday, that was quite something. Had a clear view of it from the 20th floor where I work, and saw the smoke build and build before eventually flames could be seen licking into the air. I assume it was the roof collapse that caused a massive fireball that went about 60 feet in the air or so as we watched. Hard to overstate how thick and comprehensive the smoke was over a large part of downtown.

Add in the winds, and the firefighters did a heckuva job containing it to the immediate area where the fire broke out.

Justin, glad to see you on the board.

For anyone that doesn't know, The Block is Baltimore's red light district. Here's the Quote of the Day (seriously) that I read from another news agency:

" "They were pretty much naked as can be. Girls were running out with things jiggling, and they ran across the street to get dressed. Some of them were getting dressed right out front real fast," one witness said. "

Keeping it weather related, I think it was Clark Griswald that said, "Whew, it sure is nipply in here."

LMAO!

That's crazy....there are a lot of old buildings there. Any word on how it started? Given the weather, they did a great job containing it.

Hey mapgirl. I work in the 100 block of N. Charles and walk over lunch all the time up your way and past to the train station and back for exercise. Sad to see that building go, there were two active restaurants and I think full tenancy in the office building above in a beautiful neighborhood.

As for the fire yesterday, that was quite something. Had a clear view of it from the 20th floor where I work, and saw the smoke build and build before eventually flames could be seen licking into the air. I assume it was the roof collapse that caused a massive fireball that went about 60 feet in the air or so as we watched. Hard to overstate how thick and comprehensive the smoke was over a large part of downtown.

Add in the winds, and the firefighters did a heckuva job containing it to the immediate area where the fire broke out.

Justin, glad to see you on the board.

Yeah... it's sad for sure. It's going to be weird passing by Donna's Cafe tomorrow and so forth and see it all burnt up. A co-worker lives on Madison just a few doors down from Donna's. Thankfully her building didn't catch on fire.

As for yesterday's fire, my bff works in the building directly next to the one that caught on fire (no she is not a stripper) and said the smoke was unbearable when they evacuated yesterday. She had to sneak her way into the parking garage on the same block in order go home and she said the entire garage was filled with smoke. I highly doubt she is at work today as the smoke was in the ventilation system of her office.

if i'm not mistaken, i believe this is 1 of baltimore fire dept's headqtrs...

unless there were (2) 5 alarm fires yesterday..

I just talked to a buddy of mine that's a city fireman, and I could tell he was pretty excited. Firemen are an odd bunch. But he said that they knocked the windows out of the headquarters and soaked it so that the winds wouldn't start a fire there. He says that other than some light damage, it's fine. No fire or structural damage.

if i'm not mistaken, i believe this is 1 of baltimore fire dept's headqtrs...

unless there were (2) 5 alarm fires yesterday..

not 100% sure but I believe hdqtrs was an exposure but was never impinged upon.

Also FYI..closest truck company to this fire was closed last year.

I just talked to a buddy of mine that's a city fireman, and I could tell he was pretty excited. Firemen are an odd bunch. But he said that they knocked the windows out of the headquarters and soaked it so that the winds wouldn't start a fire there. He says that other than some light damage, it's fine. No fire or structural damage.

I resemble that!

and its an understatement too

Apparently, the winds are making it tough to fight the fires and as a result, extra man-power is needed. Many of the fire houses in the city are being manned by local jurisdictions including Baltimore, Howard, and AA county. And now, apparently a new fire on 41st St.

Crazy stuff. Just another day in Bmore.

Wind is a b**ch when fighting a fire. 2 nights ago what would have been just a bedroom fire, destroyed the entire ranch house because of the way the wind was blowing and just pushed it through the rest of the house. A fire is bad any time, but it bothers me a little more at this time of year.

Thanks Matt. Apparently our reporter knew but got sidetracked with other stuff. This was a big help- Hope I can pay the favor back one day

I got the alert from www.alertpage.net

BOX 6-26 | BALT. CITY | *U/D* | 802 N CHARLES ST | U/D STAND PIPES OFF, CREWS INTERIOR WITH HAND LINES STILL KNOCKING FIRE, CMD RQST DE-ICING MACHINE FROM BWI FOR FIRE APPARATUS, 7.5 HRS O/S,

Archived