joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - b**ch thread

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting quite a bit of land interaction with NC as hoped. Should be the death knell for any serious wind damage up in NE...particularly New Hampshire. Not buying this 70 mph sustained winds the WC is still forecasting for NE. Flooding will likely be the only game in town...if people want to get excited about that...

Getting quite a bit of land interaction with NC as hoped. Should be the death knell for any serious wind damage up in NE...particularly New Hampshire. Not buying this 70 mph sustained winds the WC is still forecasting for NE. Flooding will likely be the only game in town...if people want to get excited about that...

<br><br>What is WC?<br> Weenies Crying?<br>

You havent been reading around much have you?

overhyped and underperformed here...hurricane warning did not verify and a trop storm warning would have low end verified...March 2010 much stronger that this

JMHO this wasn't a hurricane even 18 hours ago. It's just that once it got near land and everything to the east was on land and even TS conditions weren't verifying in most spots they had no choice and now it's down to 50 knots.

Flight levels winds were way higher the entire storm. Go back and look at the buoys well to the east of the center even off the Carolinas...not that impressive considering the pressure.

It's a big storm, it's flooding a ton of people, but this is the one that "next time" will have people staying too close to shore and not taking precautions when a "real" 100mph hurricane smashes into LI and kills a ton of people.

That's the problem with calling it a hurricane when nobody will have verified that in a land area for a day.

Just my opinion, respect all others but I don't get it. If we get a real hurricane with 90-110 especially in the next few years people won't leave because they will remember this 90mph "hurricane"...yeah stupid I know, but it's the way it is. Two hurricane warnings in two years for winds less than most blizzards.

Snowstorms are better. smile.gif

3 more months!!

It struggled to produce consistent tropical storm force conditions - even the low end, over almost all areas. Despite the central pressure and huge wind field...where were the conditions that even supported the TS intensity given..it was a low to mid end tropical storm at landfall here JMHO despite the pressure. For 24-36 hours the only winds that came close to supporting the advisory intensity were extrapolated or straight drops for HH. Brief gusts did a ton of damage and it goes to show how infrequently we get big winds with full canopies.

Great storm nonetheless, flooding is absolutely nasty, but as far as surface winds go.

Hurricane / Typhoon: A tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind (using the U.S. 1-minute average) is 64 kt (74 mph or 119 km/hr) or more.

Tropical Storm: A <a href="#TROPCYC">tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind speed (using the U.S. 1-minute average) ranges from 34 kt (39 mph or 63 km/hr) to 63 kt (73 mph or 118 km/hr).

TWC was calling this a "once in a lifetime" storm just a few days ago...well, I've seen this twice in my lifetime and they were called Gloria and Bob. Talking any more about the hype and some of the ridiculous TV coverage of this storm that continues to this very moment would just be a waste of time.

No calls from my parents so I am assuming no trees damaged their house.

TWC was calling this a "once in a lifetime" storm just a few days ago...well, I've seen this twice in my lifetime and they were called Gloria and Bob. Talking any more about the hype and some of the ridiculous TV coverage of this storm that continues to this very moment would just be a waste of time.

No calls from my parents so I am assuming no trees damaged their house.

Just a few days ago, it was a once in a lifetime storm per all the models....this has been discussed in the main thread, but if a 90-100 MPH hurricane would have made landfall on Coney Island, you don't think that the destruction would have been catastrophic?

This is worse than Bob and Gloria. The reports coming in from CT/MA/RI are awful.

This is worse than Bob and Gloria. The reports coming in from CT/MA/RI are awful.

It won't be worse than Gloria in the area just to your north a few miles, that I can about guarantee. It would take a tree down every 50 feet on all major roads for that to be the case. Maybe that has occurred but my friends and family in that area are saying it was bad, but not in comparison.

Much worse than Bob esp to the west. Much worse on the flooding too.

I think in small areas Gloria was much worse, but the nature of this storm had it having a much larger, but somewhat weaker windfield. The damage is much more extensive in terms of an area. And IMO that will mean it has a much bigger impact because repair crews are going to have to cover a HUGE area. This one is going to be very devastating even though the winds didn't get where they thought.

Just a few days ago, it was a once in a lifetime storm per all the models....this has been discussed in the main thread, but if a 90-100 MPH hurricane would have made landfall on Coney Island, you don't think that the destruction would have been catastrophic?

Understood.

What I don't get is the change in philosophy that is apparent at the NHC now versus X years ago. They seem very reluctant to budge off hurricane warnings when observations don't really support them. Much like last year.

I don't see the harm in down grading to tropical storm warnings but it's more a matter of semantics. I just think we run the danger of people not understanding how bad a true 100mph storm will be the day it does hit.

Maybe if you were a dog or a horse this would have been once in a lifetime storm. I'm not a hurricane historian, but multiple storms over the past 60 years had similar tracks and intensities to this storm. If the storm had not gone over eastern NC, it would have been more intense in NE. A lot of models had it hitting NC from what I saw.

I think the damage from a 90-100 mph hurricane would have been what its category dictated. I don't know what you consider "catastrophic", but I don't think the damage would have been that.

Maybe if you were a dog or a horse this would have been once in a lifetime storm. I'm not a hurricane historian, but multiple storms over the past 60 years had similar tracks and intensities to this storm. If the storm had not gone over eastern NC, it would have been more intense in NE. A lot of models had it hitting NC from what I saw.

I think the damage from a 90-100 mph hurricane would have been what its category dictated. I don't know what you consider "catastrophic", but I don't think the damage would have been that.

A true 90-100 would have been many multiples worse than this.

overhyped and underperformed here...hurricane warning did not verify and a trop storm warning would have low end verified...March 2010 much stronger that this

Take a look at the pics in the damage thread Brian, down here at the beach it was a little different story.......................some serious damage

No argument there. The amount of trees I have seen or heard come down with this (in my immediate viewing/hearing area) is substantial.

I'm going to post photos shortly, no doubt it is bad. LOTS of major trees down. Gloria was worse, but this is going to be over a much larger area.

No doubt it would have been worse, but "catastrophic"? Depends on where you live and what your definiton of catastrophic is. Bob was a 90-100 mph storm at landfall, wasn't it?

Yes, when a true 90-100 comes here people will not understand how bad it actually will be. Power out for weeks, no food, etc.

Archived